PDA

View Full Version : Ideas About Promoting Ubuntu

mtn
October 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have just started at University and I am interested in promoting Ubuntu with a bit of spare time. Wondering if anyone has ideas about this.

First of do you think it is a good idea to promote Ubuntu? Or is it better for people to come to when they are ready and looking?

If you think promoting Ubuntu is a good idea, has anyone got tried and tested ways? There are poster boards so could put posters up and offer to help folk install, though if more than a couple/few folk were interested that would become a problem for me. I have tried the local Linux users group but they are small and not very active.

Any ideas would be great.

maniacmusician
October 9th, 2006, 06:29 PM
the poster boards sound good. you should advertise the advantages AND the disadvantages. also, people are a lot more inclined if you tell them that you'll help them set it up. I've helped 3 or 4 people take the plunge (and more are interested), and i know they wouldnt have if i hadnt been there to help them out. also before you attempt to do an on the fly attempt installation, look up their hardware to see how well its supported. it would be counter productive for them to have a bad experience and tell people how horrible it is.

Don't advertise it primarily as an operating system. Promote it as Ubuntu, not linux. people are scared of linux. It would also be a good idea to have a completely working demo system set up so that you can show them everything Ubuntu can do.

BLTicklemonster
October 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Order the free cds, and start leaving them around the campus, and handing them out.

_simon_
October 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I don't think that promoting at Uni will work.

Students are either not into computers at all and barely know how to print their report out or are heavily into their gaming and illegal downloads.

Who cares if it's free? They can get XP and Office cracked from their mate for nothing. They don't have time to learn Linux, they consider themselves Windows savvy despite having norton products installed ;)

I used to work for an ISP company in the educational market i.e. catering specifically to Uni students so I know first hand how stupid many students are! (no offence guys! ;) )

If your uni has some kind of internal newsgroup or intranet notice board them it might be worth mentioning that you have free Ubuntu CD's and are prepared to help install it but I wouldn't expect a very large uptake on that offer.

I'd like to be proven wrong but having spent the best part of 4 years dealing with the student mind, I know how most of them work :-|

Mihkal
October 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM
1. Get a laptop with a halfway decent graphics card

2. Install beryl the laptop

3. Play with beryl during class*, MAKE SURE UBUNTU IS YOUR WALLPAPER.

...and don't ever let it break with people around
(I've learned that the hard way ](*,) )

ubuntu stickers should help too

Lord Illidan
October 9th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I don't think that promoting at Uni will work.

Students are either not into computers at all and barely know how to print their report out or are heavily into their gaming and illegal downloads.

Who cares if it's free? They can get XP and Office cracked from their mate for nothing. They don't have time to learn Linux, they consider themselves Windows savvy despite having norton products installed ;)

I used to work for an ISP company in the educational market i.e. catering specifically to Uni students so I know first hand how stupid many students are! (no offence guys! ;) )

If your uni has some kind of internal newsgroup or intranet notice board them it might be worth mentioning that you have free Ubuntu CD's and are prepared to help install it but I wouldn't expect a very large uptake on that offer.

I'd like to be proven wrong but having spent the best part of 4 years dealing with the student mind, I know how most of them work :-|

I agree 100%. Being a student myself..college.. I know how hard it is to get others to switch. I am the nerdy geek..my friends use the pc for games, warez and pr0n...I use it for the sheer fun of it.

dca
October 9th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I'd let Canonical handle the marketing of Ubuntu. Their end result is going towards RedHat to Fedora, Novell to SUSE, etc... In other words, you look at Joe Schmo Technologies, his company is a Premier IBM Business Partner, Cisco Systems reseller, certified Xerox reseller, and Canonical Systems Support Center... Something like that... That is how I think Ubuntu wants to be promoted.

.t.
October 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I'd like to see more advertising around. And good stuff. Ignorant people will find it harder to install Ubuntu.

emarkay
October 9th, 2006, 09:23 PM
1. Get a laptop with a halfway decent graphics card

2. Install beryl the laptop

3. Play with beryl during class*, MAKE SURE UBUNTU IS YOUR WALLPAPER.

...and don't ever let it break with people around
(I've learned that the hard way ](*,) )

ubuntu stickers should help too

What's Beryl have to do with Ubuntu?

Kids today care less about the future, but us "elder statesmen" do. :)

Jenda
October 15th, 2006, 08:15 PM
the poster boards sound good. you should advertise the advantages AND the disadvantages. also, people are a lot more inclined if you tell them that you'll help them set it up. I've helped 3 or 4 people take the plunge (and more are interested), and i know they wouldnt have if i hadnt been there to help them out. also before you attempt to do an on the fly attempt installation, look up their hardware to see how well its supported. it would be counter productive for them to have a bad experience and tell people how horrible it is.

Don't advertise it primarily as an operating system. Promote it as Ubuntu, not linux. people are scared of linux. It would also be a good idea to have a completely working demo system set up so that you can show them everything Ubuntu can do.

I'd agree here - that's my way of doing things as well. It works.
If each of us finds one person to switch during their first year of usage, our numbers will theoretically _double_ each year. The current estimate is 36% growth per year, BTW.
I'd agree with the branding issue. Ubuntu has a great chance to succeed with it's own brand, as opposed to along with the other distros under the Linux umbrella.

It doesn't look good to run around campus with a beta-version, IMO. The "completely working" is crucial here :)

I'd let Canonical handle the marketing of Ubuntu. [...] That is how I think Ubuntu wants to be promoted.

NO.
Canonical markets Canonical, and helps out with Ubuntu.

WE are Ubuntu. WE market Ubuntu. WE profit from Ubuntu gaining 'market' share, and WE feel the pain of Bug #1.

Ubuntu is a not-for-profit project of the Ubuntu foundation, remember? :)

Ubuntu has a team set up for marketing... the Marketing Team...
https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-marketing

Check it out ツ

cunawarit
October 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Well, I don't go out of my way to promote something just because. But I do like ot sometimes show people that there are alternatives, I have pushed for the use of open source software at work, I've had some limited success with people's whose budgets are close to 0. Once they get told it is free, they warm to the idea.

As for Ubuntu, I ordered 5 CDs from the Ubuntu site. One for personal use and the other 4 I gave away at work.

PS: The other thing I did at work is that I said I didn't require PhotoShop in my machine. I was happy using GIMP.

mtn
October 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I'd agree here - that's my way of doing things as well. It works.
If each of us finds one person to switch during their first year of usage, our numbers will theoretically _double_ each year. The current estimate is 36% growth per year, BTW.
I'd agree with the branding issue. Ubuntu has a great chance to succeed with it's own brand, as opposed to along with the other distros under the Linux umbrella.

It doesn't look good to run around campus with a beta-version, IMO. The "completely working" is crucial here :)

NO.
Canonical markets Canonical, and helps out with Ubuntu.

WE are Ubuntu. WE market Ubuntu. WE profit from Ubuntu gaining 'market' share, and WE feel the pain of Bug #1.

Ubuntu is a not-for-profit project of the Ubuntu foundation, remember? :)

Ubuntu has a team set up for marketing... the Marketing Team...
https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-marketing

Check it out ツ

Yeah, this was really what I was thinking. What I thought about is helping a couple of people to switch (or even just try) Ubuntu. I will benefit in the long run. I'm not really sure how to promote it even just a little to get the attention of those few people that might be ready, but just not come across Linux yet.

I was thinking of starting up and open source society would be cool, but I'm not really that techy so don't have that much confidence, though it would be a great legacy to leave! Maybe I will try a few simple posters and leaflets in the union and get a few install CDs to give away.

Thanks for every ones opinions/ideas so far, has been very interesting.