PDA

View Full Version : Paige or Hendrix

starwarsfan982
October 9th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Who do you guys think is a better guitarist? Jimmy Paige of Led Zeppelin, Or Jimi Hendrix?

ComplexNumber
October 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM
i don't think either is better than the other. they are like apples and oranges.

starwarsfan982
October 9th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I'm glad you think so. They are two diverse types of musicians.

Reshin
October 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I never liked Jim's style but I haven't heard enough of Paige :-k

dca
October 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I love when Page plays acoustic guitar. I think that was his strong-suit. Some of the tunes he wrote/played: "Thank You" and etc were magnificent.

matthew
October 9th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Jimmy Page is excellent. Jimi Hendrix invented so much of the methods and techniques for electric guitar virtuosity that I will give him the edge, though.

Both have played better than I ever will, even when I'm dreaming.

stuh84
October 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Neither, dont like them

Wallakoala
October 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I like them both, and they are both great guitarists.

I like jimi better though. I feel as if Page's solos are a little stale and emotionless sometimes.

Kindred
October 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I like Hendrix quite a bit more, both great obviously. I'd say Jimi was better though.

raublekick
October 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I like them both, and they are both great guitarists.

I like jimi better though. I feel as if Page's solos are a little stale and emotionless sometimes.

hmm yes actually i agree with you on that. however, i give it to jimmy paige because he is a lot more versatile (plays acoustic, 12-string, mandolin, solos, etc...)

fuscia
October 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM
subjectively, it's kind of a silly question, like: "which tastes better? steak, or ice cream?" objectively speaking, i'd put both jeff beck and eric johnson above page and hendrix. both are sonic wizards, skilled players (to say the very least) and endlessly inventive...not to take anything away from the other two.

matthew
October 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
objectively speaking, i'd put both jeff beck and eric johnson above page and hendrix. both are sonic wizards, skilled players (to say the very least) and endlessly inventive...not to take anything away from the other two.Or Joe Satriani...saw him live last year in Phoenix and was blown away!

fuscia
October 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Or Joe Satriani...saw him live last year in Phoenix and was blown away!

and you could also include steve vai in there (unless we're only talking about six strings, leaving keith richards out, as well).

picpak
October 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Neither: Angus Young!

stateq2
October 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Definitely Jimi Hendrix...he evolved rock music single-handedly. He basically invented modern rock guitar solos.

zvacet
October 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Did you knew that Jimmy agreed to came to England in one condition:he wont to meet Jeff Back and Eric Clapton.Anybody ever listen Robert Fripp?

fuscia
October 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Anybody ever listen Robert Fripp?

i like his tape loop stuff. 'frippatronics', was it?

zvacet
October 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Originaly King Crimson,but yes.

matthew
October 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
i like his tape loop stuff. 'frippatronics', was it?Close. Frippertronics. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frippertronics) Very inventive.

Anyone else ever listen to Les Paul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul)? He plays jazz. His older stuff from the early days is stellar* and he basically invented guitar effects and was instrumental in the invention of the solid body electric guitar (it depends on who is telling the story as to whether he invented it or not). If you have ever used echo, chorus, flanging, phasing or a host of other cool effects he is the one to thank...not to mention he designed an incredibly cool guitar, the Les Paul (and was originally the one for whom the SG was made, although he didn't like it). He's still alive and at 90 years old he has a weekly gig at a club in New York! Amazing guy.

EDIT: *actually everything I've ever heard him play is stellar. Rags, boogies, minor key stuff. The guy has serious chops.

ComplexNumber
October 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Or Joe Satriani...saw him live last year in Phoenix and was blown away!
yeah, i think i would go along with satriani. i bought a load of his albums about 7 or 8 years ago. oddly enough, i've only ever played 2 of them(the extremist and his self titled album). the rest are dust collectors. my faves are down down down, moroccan sunset, you're my world, summer song, and tears in the rain.

mike3k
October 9th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Hendrix. He invented modern electric guitar styles.

Wallakoala
October 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Well I said I liked hendrix more than page, but my favorite guitarist is David Gilmour of Pink Floyd.

starwarsfan982
October 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Well I said I liked hendrix more than page, but my favorite guitarist is David Gilmour of Pink Floyd.

Also one of the best.

jimrz
October 10th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Also one of the best.

how about SRV or Jerry Garcia or Santana...lots of terrific pickers out there

Kindred
October 10th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Scott Henderson and Danny Gatton would be my favourites.

drucer
October 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Neither one of them is good. I'm gonna stick with Eddie Van Halen.

GuitarHero
October 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Page was sloppy. Jimi was sloppy, but in a more stylistic way if you will. I prefer led zeppelin to hendrix but as far as guitar solos, hendrix.

gnomeuser
October 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Only heretics consider that a question.

Hendrix: Superior lyrics and skills
Paige: *stops Jimi tracks* Who is this poser again?

bigken
October 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM
and what about people like blackmore morse howe but to name a few ;)

fuscia
October 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/buckethead.jpg

rowanparker
October 10th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Hendrix.
But I do love Stairway to Heaven.

Sushi
October 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
How about Joey DeMaio :KS?

Stephen_A
October 17th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Page's style, compositions, sound and solos were an integral part of Led Zeppelin. Hendrix was far more eclectic and flambouyant with strong sould and funk influences. It's difficult to find any common point of reference other than they were guitarists.

d3v1ant_0n3
October 17th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Never been a Led Zep fan, I always found them a bit...I don't know...missing something. I can appreciate their legacy, and their talent, but the music does nothing for me.

Hendrix rocks my socks, on the other hand. And he played Left handed. On a right handed guitar. HE PLAYED THE GUITAR UPSIDE DOWN. And STILL had more creativity than 90% of guitarists out there. Something as simple as his rendition of Star Spangled Banner is amazing powerful nearly 30 years later. A great.

What do people think of Les Claypool(Primus)'s Bass ability? He always stuns me to silence.

wh0rd
November 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I heard Robert Fripp is doing the theme sounds for Vista.

djsroknrol
November 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I've seen them both live (dates me,huh?),and I had the great fortune to meet Hendrix thru one of his cousins right before he died (dates me even further!)...

I love both of their work, but have to give the edge to Hendrix...

ComplexNumber
November 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I've seen them both live (dates me,huh?),and I had the great fortune to meet Hendrix thru one of his cousins right before he died (dates me even further!)...

I love both of their work, but have to give the edge to Hendrix...
so was he in the states for a gig shortly before he died then? i was just asking because he was living in the UK for quite a while until his demise.

Christmas
November 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM
How about John McLaughlin or Paco de Lucia or Al di Meola? How would you compare that? Though I'm a big rock n' roll fan, I never played guitar in my entire life, so I still don't agree with comparing different singers and music styles. For me, those three I just listed are new artists, and I must admit, I do not like them at all. What do you think? Is that just because I'm used to listen only to music which seems to be more complex (not just cold guitar) or is it just I can't understand their ways of expressing their feelings. I was told their music should reach your heart, still seems just no melodic notes to me.

Back on topic, I very much enjoy both of those two but still, I think comparing guitar players is like comparing apples with oranges, both have great taste and are fruits, but still they are so different in many other ways.

christhemonkey
November 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
John McLaughlin is excellent, the Mahavishnu orchestra to me are unique and very good. In fact after my first listening, i was very nearly speechless.

Hendrix is an old favourite of mine though, although when first heard his stuff, it was forced upon me during a band practice. Actually come to think of it, its the same for Paige and Led Zeppelin!

What are peoples views on Django Reinhart?
An astounding guitarist, possibly the greatest jazz guitarist ever, an only having 4 fingers on his left hand...

djsroknrol
November 13th, 2006, 01:14 AM
so was he in the states for a gig shortly before he died then? i was just asking because he was living in the UK for quite a while until his demise.

It was backstage at the Filmore East New Years Eve 1969/1970....You know the album...Band of Gypsys. He was turning a corner in my opinion. It was like his music was evolving..the sound was changing and I couldn't wait for more, and I told him so...He smiled and shook my hand and said "glad your enjoying it"

I've always been a fan of both of their works...but Hendrix will always be an axe king in my eyes....

DemonCat1992
January 5th, 2010, 06:12 AM
You know, they are all great guitarists, Hendrix has made a few things as have all other guitarists. Something like that is a pretty hard decision to make. The best thing to do is to sit back and enjoy the show.

:guitar::popcorn:

jfloydb
January 5th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Over the years I have read several guitarist's comments concerning Jimi, and most would agree with Pete Townsend and Eric Clapton: "He (Jimi) made us feel small".

cariboo
January 5th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Did you realize that this thread is from October of 2006? I would suggest you create a new thread, because this one is closed.