PDA

View Full Version : Please don't flame me?

ade234uk
October 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Out of curiosity I decided to install the Vista Beta. Its ok but nothing really that special. I noticed that they have now adpoted a login from the start just like any Linux distro, however I could still change, delete system files if I wanted too. Does this mean that again Windows system files can be compromised?

I dont know what the general public will make of it when it is finally released but its going to take a long time for people to get used to it. I think this is where Ubuntu and other Linux distros will gain more popularity. Secondly even on my machine with 1.5gb Ram and 256mb Graphics Card Vista was not that quick. Again this could be due to the release I was testing.

henriquemaia
October 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM
This should go into the Other OS Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147) section.

starwarsfan982
October 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM
No one should flame you for being curious about a new OS. As for M$, they probably test on the most powerful machines on the market. (Anyone played Age of Empires 3?) So that's no suprise. I heard the final release minimal install is 30 gigs. That would take my laptop's whole hard drive!!

Carrots171
October 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I dont know what the general public will make of it when it is finally released but its going to take a long time for people to get used to it. I think this is where Ubuntu and other Linux distros will gain more popularity.

In my opinion, Vista isn't going make Ubuntu and Linux much more popular. It's overhyped and I agree that it has horrendous hardware requirements, but IMHO the general public will still think it's much better because of the eycandy and because of advertisements and marketing. People with old hardware are more likely to buy new computers than to install Linux, and the new computers they buy will most likely come with Vista. Others will just stick with XP and get a new computer in a year or two. Vista may lead to Linux becoming more popular with hobbyists who want to keep their old computers around (like me), but otherwise I don't see it affecting Linux growth very much.

Rhubarb
October 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I'm also trying out vista RC1 in dual boot with ubuntu.
I'd have to say that an awful lot of swearing was involved to keep me from punching my laptop. I'll download and try out RC2 some time this week.

The only advantage I have with using vista compared with ubuntu, is that the UT2004 game draws vehicle headlights nicer in direct X than it does in open gl. But when you quit the game in vista, it thrashes the hard disk for 30s afterwards - not allowing you to do anything in the mean time, in ubuntu it takes 1/2 second to give you full control of the desktop. I won't even start with the pain I had to endure with installing UT2004 in vista.

I really hope I won't have to support vista in future for my mates.
](*,)

dca
October 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM
The biggest drawback to M$ Vista is the new anti-piracy features embedded, not the 3D graphic (CPU-killer) dealies added. Compound all the hype (the widgets, 3D desktop, won't run on older PCs, etc, etc) then add the fact that JUST the upgrade charge (to upgrade enterprise clients from XP to Vista) I'm sure is going to be astronomical. Forget it, most firms will stay w/ XP SP2....

robcarr2
October 9th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Vista is a hardware hog, a friend of mine was running it on a 3.6ghz centrino with 1gb ddr2 ram and a 512mb graphics card, it took like 2 minutes to load control panel [-(

MasonM
October 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Being as the Linux community is all about free choice I see no reason why anyone would flame you for checking out Vista or Billy Bob's Homegrown OS, or anything else. It's your machine and your choice.

I don't personally have any reason or desire to try Vista, but that's my choice. From everything I have read it's a serious resource hog.

As for the access rights, anyone using any Windows system should set up a user account with limited rights just as they do in Linux. Sadly, with Windows this just isn't the default and the average Mom & Pop user have no idea that they should do this.

mike3k
October 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I've been trying out Vista RC1 on my Intel iMac under Parallels Desktop (beta version with experimental Vista support). I can deal with XP when I need to use it for work, but Vista is just plain annoying. All of the new features just get in the way. It feels really "dumbed down" - sort of like "Windows for Dummies". Hopefully there's a way to turn off all of the hand-holding & simplified features.

If anyone's interested, I have some Vista screenshots at http://flickr.com/photos/mike_c/sets/72157594304625693/

MasonM
October 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
"Windows for Dummies"
Isn't that redundant? :-k

Sorry, I'm not bashing anyone, that was just too easy to pass up.

ade234uk
October 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I must admit for the MS tinkerers their is not a lot to play with in Vista. It really is a closed down OS. XP was closed but like one user said they have made things very simple.

I do think this will work in favour of Linux Distros.

RussianVodka
October 9th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Isn't that redundant? :-k
That's ironicaly ironical!

MasonM
October 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
That's ironicaly ironical!

Couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

Rhubarb
October 9th, 2006, 09:53 PM
In case anyone is vaguely interested, my vista experience is summed up with this:

Aero interface - Nothing special, interface is disabled (and replaced by non hardware accelerated interface) running some programs, like java or quicktime movies.

Widgets - Oversized, under powered, under configurable, and little to choose from.

Hard drive takes a thrashing, it just doesn't really stop accessing the hard disk.

Start up vista and it's allready taking up over 500MB RAM, though this is apparently to help speed things up (see my BIG problem with UT2004 above)

Everything has been dumbified, to the point where you're almost shown dialogue boxes constantly. I don't think at all that it will help stop malware, as a windows user is just going to press "ok" on any box that comes up, because there's heaps of boxes that come up when you do mundane installation stuff.

It really does leave a bad taste in your mouth, a very bad sour kind of taste. If there's anyone reading this thread that's dim enough to go out and buy vista: you have been warned.

cunawarit
October 9th, 2006, 10:54 PM
the fact that JUST the upgrade charge (to upgrade enterprise clients from XP to Vista) I'm sure is going to be astronomical. Forget it, most firms will stay w/ XP SP2....

I agree, at least where I work there are no plans to move to Vista any time soon. It tends to happen a lot even now, plenty of companies are still using Windows 2000 and NT4, some are even using 98!

I haven't installed it on my own machine but I have given it a quick go at work. Personally I am looking forward to working with Vista, although, I do feel some trepidation at reports of it taking 500Mb of RAM with no applications loaded!!!!

As for Aero itself, I wasn't overly impressed, but I haven't given it a fair chance yet. My main PC at home can't handle it, I have inboard graphics. I do wonder why it is expected that most users will have a killer graphics card, I can't imagine most businesses will pay extra for Aero. I think home users will though, I a constantly amazed at how much people shell out on PC hardware just to play games. I think home users will pay extra for the Aero eye-candy too.

mysticrider92
October 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Now I understand why they added the feature to speed up your PC by using a USB 2.0 flash drive as RAM.

I think I will stick with Linux and maybe XP if I want to watch movies or play games without having to worry about legal issues or emulators.

signifer123
October 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I agree, at least where I work there are no plans to move to Vista any time soon. It tends to happen a lot even now, plenty of companies are still using Windows 2000 and NT4, some are even using 98!

I haven't installed it on my own machine but I have given it a quick go at work. Personally I am looking forward to working with Vista, although, I do feel some trepidation at reports of it taking 500Mb of RAM with no applications loaded!!!!

As for Aero itself, I wasn't overly impressed, but I haven't given it a fair chance yet. My main PC at home can't handle it, I have inboard graphics. I do wonder why it is expected that most users will have a killer graphics card, I can't imagine most businesses will pay extra for Aero. I think home users will though, I a constantly amazed at how much people shell out on PC hardware just to play games. I think home users will pay extra for the Aero eye-candy too.

Well even without the eye candy people still like things like transparency, and pretty much everything XP already has.

Example being I took Nubutnu into school, and the other students love how fluxbox looks.

The only thing that I will upgrade to vista for is speed(and maybe that directX physics thing). Any word as to if it runs faster/handles background proccesses better. Havn't seen any speed comaprisons for it.

igknighted
October 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Vista is a hardware hog, a friend of mine was running it on a 3.6ghz centrino with 1gb ddr2 ram and a 512mb graphics card, it took like 2 minutes to load control panel [-(

I don't know what you did to that computer, but I'm running RC2 dual booting with my gentoo system on an Athlon 64 3400+, some cheap gagabyte mobo, 1 gb ram, ati x800 and vista flies compared to XP home. Granted I am running 64bit edition, so maybe it runs better in 64bit mode, but I haven't seen any of the performance gripes that everyone keeps mentioning. On top of that, RC2 is hella stable compared to RC1, at least as good as XP home was for me. I use windows mostly for music (my school has a free download subscription that must run on windows because of DRM issues) and gaming (mostly CS:S and AoE3), and it performs both of these functions perfectly.

PS: it also looks way better than the attrocious winXP theme

kpolice
October 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM
In my PC also runs fast: Pentium M 1.6GHz 1.25GB RAM and a radeon 9600 Pro 128MB.

I'm going to install RC2 the next weekend to see if things are better or worst.

I'm sure I will get it when it is final but not because I have enough money to buy it but because my University has a campus agreement with MS so will get my copy for free (download) or $20 dollars If I want the DVD.

DarkN00b
October 11th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I just thought of a way this might help out Linux users if not the OS as a whole.

Vista has all this eye candy and extra visual features right? People are going to want to actually see all this pretty shiny stuff right?

This means that desktops and (especially) laptops will have to ship with better on-board video hardware. On top of that, computer prices have been pretty much stable for years with a slight turn downward for bottom to midrange systems.

MS could be forcing the PC industry into finally providing good stock hardware, especially with Intel getting back into the discrete (meaning non-integrated) graphics options. This adds up to a good thing for Linux users.

Or am I wrong? :confused:

mysticrider92
October 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM
You could be right, or this will give companies an excuse to put higher end stuff in all of their PC's and charge more for the same stuff that we can get relatively cheaply now.

cunawarit
October 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Well, low-mid range PCs are at rock bottom right now. I am amazed at how cheap you can buy a PC nowadays. PCs are so cheap I am thinking of buying a whole new PC instead of Vista on its own... If you can buy a decent PC with Vista for £200-£300 I think I'll be doing that.

I don't think the big players (Dell) will be putting prices up, however, prices may stop dropping.

kopilo
October 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Well even without the eye candy people still like things like transparency, and pretty much everything XP already has.

Example being I took Nubutnu into school, and the other students love how fluxbox looks.

The only thing that I will upgrade to vista for is speed(and maybe that directX physics thing). Any word as to if it runs faster/handles background proccesses better. Havn't seen any speed comaprisons for it.
You know you can get a heck of a lot more eyecandy on XP just by buying and/or installing shell themes. This does include transparentcy.

In fact I'd suggest for people to do that if they want eyecandy, it is a heck of a lot cheaper then buying Vista + addons.

3rdalbum
October 15th, 2006, 05:06 AM
In Australia, there are *still* heaps of computers being sold with only 256 megs of RAM. Not the best foot forward for Vista.

criskat777
November 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
The biggest drawback to M$ Vista is the new anti-piracy features embedded, not the 3D graphic (CPU-killer) dealies added. Compound all the hype (the widgets, 3D desktop, won't run on older PCs, etc, etc) then add the fact that JUST the upgrade charge (to upgrade enterprise clients from XP to Vista) I'm sure is going to be astronomical. Forget it, most firms will stay w/ XP SP2....
What anti piracy features.:guitar: