PDA

View Full Version : PROPOSAL: New way to get beans

max.diems
October 9th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Proposal: One bean per ten views over one thousand of a thread, and One bean per 10 thread replies over 100

Reasons:
* A large number of replies/views shows that a
thread is probably good
*Good threads should be rewarded
*Although bean count was originally a post count, beans are given for gallery reviews

po0f
October 9th, 2006, 03:51 AM
max.diems,

Why do bean counts matter? It should be obvious if a thread is good or not, and it should be based on its content. I don't agree with "rewarding" "good" threads with beans++. You are talking about how-to threads, correct? What about if a noobie posts a question that somehow gets an overwhelming flood of answers? Do they deserve the beans, just because people wanted to help them out? What about the poeple that only reply to threads? These posters are usually the most helpful; do they get no reward for not starting a popular thread?

I think your idea is good-intentioned, but not thought out all the way.

If, at the end of the day, you can honestly say you've helped someone out, that is reward enough. To me at least. ;)

Zyzzyx
October 9th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Better idea: remove visible bean (post) count from everyone, then folks won't be able to fuss about it. As much. I haven't been to another forum where folks are as obsessed about post counts.

Bean count != knowledge/quality/helpfulness/etc

I'd say remove bean count, and just stick with the changing phrase and icons. Or remove that too.

Kilz
October 9th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Better idea: remove visible bean (post) count from everyone, then folks won't be able to fuss about it. As much. I haven't been to another forum where folks are as obsessed about post counts.

Bean count != knowledge/quality/helpfulness/etc

I'd say remove bean count, and just stick with the changing phrase and icons. Or remove that too.

No, because some forum members like the bean count. I think it gives an idea about how active someone is on the forums. Not that I expect someone to have lots of knowlage about linux or Ubuntu. But for instance. Someone with a low count making a "Im going back to windows" post may get a different responce from me than someone with hundreds of posts that makes the same kind of post.
It is also helpful when the person making those kinds of posts makes it there first post. It shows they didnt ask for help.

PriceChild
October 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Yeah i love the bean count and changing text/icon!

On the simplest level, it is fun :)
But also i like being able to quickly see how much someone has used the forum. I'm going to be more inclined to follow their howtos, or help first if there are many choices.

I know you shouldn't... but i do, and i like it :)

Plus i always love it when i can give help to someone with thousands of beans :) Doesn't happen much though mind!

henriquemaia
October 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM
No, because some forum members like the bean count. I think it gives an idea about how active someone is on the forums. Not that I expect someone to have lots of knowlage about linux or Ubuntu. But for instance. Someone with a low count making a "Im going back to windows" post may get a different responce from me than someone with hundreds of posts that makes the same kind of post.
It is also helpful when the person making those kinds of posts makes it there first post. It shows they didnt ask for help.

I agree. Not a measure of knowledge, we know that, but a way of measuring the participation in the forum community (as you stated, Kilz). This, together with the sanity of the posts he/she writes give you a pretty good picture of how reliable someone is (aysiu, for example).

megamania
October 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Yeah i love the bean count and changing text/icon!

On the simplest level, it is fun :)
But also i like being able to quickly see how much someone has used the forum. I'm going to be more inclined to follow their howtos, or help first if there are many choices.

I have >200 beans on this forums, and <10 posts on the italian ubuntuforums. Do I become more expert when I post on these forums? obviously not - I'm still a beginner. So why care about beans?

Yes, I find it nice to know how much people have posted, but that's all about it (for example, if you have 4000 posts I envy your spare time :) )

orb9220
October 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Yes as long as there is a understanding that the bean count is for fun and in no way represents actual knowledge level.

My bean count is probably 30-40% asking for help another 10% for observations and 40-50% TRYING to help which means the quality or level of actual help given is questionable when I am a newbie myself.

I just try to follow my guidelines that if there are already a lot of responses to a subject that I should not re-hash or confuse if possible.

I look for the zero responses and see if I can help. Sometimes it is advising them to change subject line or post in another thread is the only advice I can give.

I don't care about bean-count except to get a snicker of the different labels that pop up over time.

argie
October 10th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Reasons:
* A large number of replies/views shows that a
thread is probably good
*Good threads should be rewarded
*Although bean count was originally a post count, beans are given for gallery reviews
Not really. Think all the anti-Ubuntu threads, Windows better than Ubuntu threads, and so on.

skymt
October 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM
If you give beans for creating popular threads, you will end up rewarding trolling, the entire point of which is to provoke a large response.

PriceChild
October 11th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I have >200 beans on this forums, and <10 posts on the italian ubuntuforums. Do I become more expert when I post on these forums? obviously not - I'm still a beginner. So why care about beans?

Yes, I find it nice to know how much people have posted, but that's all about it (for example, if you have 4000 posts I envy your spare time :) )I think you've been very unfair with your quoting, cutting off my
I know you shouldn't... but i do, and i like it

max.diems
October 11th, 2006, 02:16 AM
If you give beans for creating popular threads, you will end up rewarding trolling, the entire point of which is to provoke a large response.
But trolls are moved to The Jail, and therefore can be filtered from this.
And as for the fact the people who only reply don't benefit from this, well, c'est la vie.

megamania
October 11th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I think you've been very unfair with your quoting, cutting off my

I didn't do it on purpose, I try to keep quotings short.

Sorry.

skymt
October 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
But trolls are moved to The Jail, and therefore can be filtered from this.
And as for the fact the people who only reply don't benefit from this, well, c'est la vie.

Only the obvious trolls are moved, and most people are smart enough not to reply to them anyway. Skilled trolls make their provocative topic look legitimate.

John.Michael.Kane
October 11th, 2006, 10:52 PM
If a user has one bean or twenty thousand beans does not/should not matter. in the end it's about the quality the info being post question being asked.

Theres users here with lowbean counts who have been known to jump in and offer some info even if it did not pan out they still tried.

For the most part i think the beancount is set up for fun,and maybe a way to acknowledge user participation.

If one was to base a members knowldge on bean counts alone then (Azz and Aysiu) would be the only members being asked to help users with issues.

Bottom line beans or no beans these forums are a team effort..

henriquemaia
October 11th, 2006, 11:07 PM
[...]
Bottom line beans or no beans these forums are a team effort..

You're absolutely right.

max.diems
October 14th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Only the obvious trolls are moved, and most people are smart enough not to reply to them anyway. Skilled trolls make their provocative topic look legitimate.

Well then, beans shouldn't be awarded for posts, either.

John.Michael.Kane
October 14th, 2006, 07:48 PM
max.diems the bean system is really just a telling of how active the user is with in the ubuntu community.

I would also like to urge all forum members to look pass bean counts,and base as much as you can on each others helpfulness,and info posted.

Try to have fun with with the beans don't let it be a determining factor for you trusting the info given to you by that user.

matthew
October 14th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Well then, beans shouldn't be awarded for posts, either.*sigh*

This really has been discussed ad nauseum. The decision has been made and a system is in place. Let's move on.