PDA

View Full Version : How fast can you type?

Wallakoala
October 9th, 2006, 12:21 AM
So I thought that maybe we could have a fun little competition here...

If it is not already installed, fire up the terminal and install gtypist:

sudo apt-get install gtypist
Now run gtypist, and scroll down to where it says "Speed drills". Press enter and then choose "Lesson S1" (the first one) Follow the directions until you get to the "warm-up". The sentence is "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs."

Type as fast as you can, but try not to make any mistakes because they lower your actual wpm.

When you are done, take note of the "Adjusted speed" and post it. You can repeat the exercise many times.

After about 70 tries, I got 141.00 wpm.

Post your fastest.

Sarisar
October 9th, 2006, 12:43 AM
E: Couldn't find package gtypist

Also looked for anything 'gtyp' and didn't find anything either.

What repositories are you running?

NoTiG
October 9th, 2006, 12:44 AM
3rd try, 121/141 (2%)

its a new keyboard though so im not used to it. i think its also alot easier to type one sentence than a whole paragraph continuously :P

Wallakoala
October 9th, 2006, 12:50 AM
E: Couldn't find package gtypist

Also looked for anything 'gtyp' and didn't find anything either.

What repositories are you running?

Do you have universe and multiverse enabled?

And also as Notig said, it is easier to type a single sentence, but this will show your maximum speed.

Sarisar
October 9th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Yes I do have multiverse, universe, and.. well all the ticks basically!

Well it's OK, it saves me showing you up ;)
(actually it's late so I'll look at it tomorrow)

ice60
October 9th, 2006, 01:09 AM
i'm quite fast for 2 or 3 words, then things start to go down hill abit :roll:

anyway, if i wanted to type fast i'd get a secretary.

Zyzzyx
October 9th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Meh, that's just a 'sprint' speed for typing. The question I'd like to see is what folks can do on a longer session, say... 3 minutes worth.

That, and the feedback on gtypist isn't there. My mind doesn't work to type just watching the cursor move across, I really need to see characters appear as I type. It does this on the drills and the practice, but not the speed test.

Anyway, for a longer test, I prefer sending folks over to TypingTest.com and doing the 3 minute version of the various texts they have there.

Here's what I was able to do on your gtypist test, with not much practice.

edit: added images from TypingTest.com with my initial results there on the various tests, at a three minute duration.

Titus A Duxass
October 9th, 2006, 07:27 AM
anyway, if i wanted to type fast i'd get a secretary. - got one of them, she is really fast in two languages.