PDA

View Full Version : XFce4-specific forum...

Glanz
April 16th, 2005, 02:26 AM
I sent this to the webmeister:

> Hi!
>
> I have been answering many XFce4 related questions from users.
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26077
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26577
> ...are just a few examples... As you can see, users are using the occasion,
when they find an XFce post, to ask other XFce questions unrelated to the
original subject.
> Only according to the poll stats on which desktop environment Ubuntu users
are using, there are already 50 votes for XFce4. I believe there are many more
with XFce installed.
>
> So I believe we need an XFce4 section in the Ubuntu Forums where all
questions and discussions related to XFce may be posted.
>
> Glanz
>
> --------------------------------

To which he graciously replied::

Hello Glanz,

I heard mentions of a XFCE version of Ubuntu once/if there is a release
of that we will add a XFCE only forum.

Thanks for your input If you wish please add this request to the forum
site/help thread so we wont loose track of it.

- Ryan
===================================
So, let's all hope for such a release! I know it will be a great one!
Whatch'all think 'bout dat?

skoal
April 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Whoa! XFCE Ubuntu? Where's the dotted line and how do I sign up for that?

I'm quite impressed that a disto will branch off support in forums specific to a DE. I think that's wise. I can't say I've seen or heard that anywhere else, but supporting a complete DE system instead of just key distro parts is a smart concept. I see the relevance of that between KDE and Gnome. However, since Gnome and XFCE are both GTK cousins, run similiar apps effortlessly, can even share GTK2 themes, is it really necessary in this case? I see alot of overlap there except for DE specific configuration like using plugins, finding menus, and such.

TravisNewman
April 16th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Well, if it becomes it's own distro, people won't necessarily know that Gnome and XFCE are cousins.

If it's supported in the way kubuntu is, it should get its own forum.

skoal
April 16th, 2005, 05:17 AM
That's true. I was just thinking more along the lines of just a sub-forum under Warty/Hoary 'Application Support'. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for organization, but I thought it felt more in touch there (although not really an 'application'). I'm not with the 'program' yet here at Ubuntu, and I haven't even visited a Kubuntu thread yet for an objective opinion.

Either way. Wherever yall put it, I'll find it. I've been itching to remove Gnome ever since I got here.

telmo
April 16th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I sent this to the webmeister:

> Hi!
>
> I have been answering many XFce4 related questions from users.
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26077
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26577
> ...are just a few examples... As you can see, users are using the occasion,
when they find an XFce post, to ask other XFce questions unrelated to the
original subject.
> Only according to the poll stats on which desktop environment Ubuntu users
are using, there are already 50 votes for XFce4. I believe there are many more
with XFce installed.
>
> So I believe we need an XFce4 section in the Ubuntu Forums where all
questions and discussions related to XFce may be posted.
>
> Glanz
>
> --------------------------------

To which he graciously replied::

Hello Glanz,

I heard mentions of a XFCE version of Ubuntu once/if there is a release
of that we will add a XFCE only forum.

Thanks for your input If you wish please add this request to the forum
site/help thread so we wont loose track of it.

- Ryan
===================================
So, let's all hope for such a release! I know it will be a great one!
Whatch'all think 'bout dat?

SWEEEEET!
errr... to be honest... i was thinking in installing another lighter distro with XFCE. Something Debian-based with Xorg and kernel 2.6.10, but there's no such thing [-X So..... why not another version of Ubuntu with XFCE? I'm sure you'll make lots of people happy! ;)

Bring on the forum!!! O:)

Rxke
April 16th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Oooh yessss! (I guess my sig says it all...)

I'm quite a n00b Linux-wise, except for a little stint with Debian on a PPC, a year or two ago, and never tried XFce4, until now.

I fell right in love, boy oh boy. Running old hardware, you know...

I was already wondering about an Ubuntu/XFce4 community thing... Visiting Slashdot on Ubuntu related discussions, I saw there were people with the same feeling, other sites, too... Things like 'I will hold out installing until Xubuntu comes out...'

A good distro could save lots of old hardware from the scrapheap, a good thing, IMHO.

ubuntu_demon
April 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM
XFCE4 rules!
for lightweight machines and servers XFCE4 is my choice

It would rock if someone would create a XFCE4 project like kubuntu. They have a MOTU for xfce :
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/MOTUXfce

Glanz
April 16th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Xfce Foundation Classes (http://xfc.xfce.org/index.xhtml) is another thing that makes Xfce especially interesting. The Xfce Foundation Classes is a set of integrated C++ classes for developing Xfce applications on UNIX-like operating systems such as Linux. The classes combine the power of GTK+ and the power of C++ into a state-of-the-art application development framework for the Xfce Desktop Environment. The classes judiciously use C++ language features to avoid layering on too much extra C++ complexity. The API is easy to understand and use, and should feel immediately familiar to most GTK+ programmers.

TravisNewman
April 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM
SWEEEEET!
errr... to be honest... i was thinking in installing another lighter distro with XFCE. Something Debian-based with Xorg and kernel 2.6.10, but there's no such thing [-X So..... why not another version of Ubuntu with XFCE? I'm sure you'll make lots of people happy! ;)

Bring on the forum!!! O:)
You do know that you can install XFCE in Ubuntu and it works incredibly well right?

Glanz
April 16th, 2005, 11:08 PM
...and it works incredibly well...
I find that it works better under Ubuntu than with KDE-based distros. XFce makes very good use of GTK-2, and xfce themes may be used in combination with or in place of GNOME themes. The theme "xfce 4.0" theme with "Metabox" is the only bluish theme I find tolerable... It's kinda like a Clearlooks with slate emphasis when used in GNOME.

telmo
April 17th, 2005, 04:29 AM
You do know that you can install XFCE in Ubuntu and it works incredibly well right?

Yep! But somehow i would like my ubuntu to be lighter. As lighter as possible but with the regular ubuntu hardware and multimedia support with XFCE...

But i do have it installed right now and it's working great! ;)

skoal
April 21st, 2005, 12:00 AM
The theme "xfce 4.0" theme with "Metabox" is the only bluish theme I find tolerable... It's kinda like a Clearlooks with slate emphasis when used in GNOME.

I can't say I've tried that theme in XFCE4 yet. However, you might like the Digital Creme (http://www.users.monornet.hu/linux/index2.html) GTK2 theme. It should work in Gnome as well. It's a great compliment to the default Ubuntu brownish color scheme. The subtle window decor doesn't pierce through the monitor like others I've tried. It looks pretty good with blue too.

i_m_meen
April 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM
XFCEUbuntu is a great idea. Where's the poll?

bucho
April 27th, 2005, 02:45 PM
The second I see an XFCE4 based Ubuntu, I will install it. Where do I sign up? :grin:

bored2k
April 27th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I think xfce has a bit of road to go before I can find it completely useful. Their current file manager is a hard step to go for a nautilus user [the proposed new is going to rock IMO], and they have little to no esd support [I have to esd& everytime I'd open it, wich is annoying]. It also needs some exclusive apps that attract people.

I like xfce a lot, but I can't stand it without nautilus and some gnome configuration/administration apps. Would be interesting to see how XFCE-Ubuntu would improve the DE.

Rxke
April 27th, 2005, 03:12 PM
If you go to their developers site, one can spot some Ubuntu-specific stuff allready, so it looks like XFce4 is getting a healthy boost from Ubuntu, yay!

i_m_meen
April 28th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Xfce from Ubu comes with Rox filer, which is a decent file manager...plus that Nautilus opens a window for every double click ](*,)
Good that someone told me about the file manager option in the menu...

Ian Christie
July 20th, 2005, 03:23 AM
I agree, an XFCE version of Ubuntu would be excelent. I've found I have strange problems with XFCE installed in Ubuntu, although I have some unofficial versions of libs installed. I would prefer XFCE over Gnome as the default.