PDA

View Full Version : I am writing a Linux book --- advice welcome!

IYY
October 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM
My university's computer science department uses Linux, and CS students learn how to write scripts, C programs, and even some of Linux's internals. However, there no course to teach Linux! And unlike other groups of people, these guys are fully capable of running Linux, and are interested. So, as an executive member of the local computer club (almost a LUG, really) I decided to write a long manual that will help these students learn the basics of Linux, and install it on their home machines.

I am not nearly done, but I would like to hear comments and suggestions. The current version is at:

http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs251010/aboutLinux.pdf

mithras86
October 8th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Here are a couple of things I noticed when I scrolled through the document. I haven't read it thoroughly yet, but I'll read it tomorrow:

Why do you explain how to install a Nvidia driver, but don't tell how you could manage it with an ATi or Intel GPU?
Although it's not the same, please change Compiz to Beryl, because Beryl has a stable branch, which will be safe to use. Compiz gets all the time new updates and can break your system (or better: your graphical interface).
I like vim more than vi ;)
The best manual you can find about LaTeX is the lshort ("The Not So Short
Introduction to LaTeX 2"], which you can find here: www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf

It does look this will be a very good manual! Success with finishing it ;)

Lord Illidan
October 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Nice to see Aysiu's guide there..that guy's a boon to Ubuntu.

Can you include some more distros though? At least the main ones? Mandriva, SUSE, Fedora, come to mind.

Otherwise - good work.. and goodluck!

IYY
October 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Why do you explain how to install a Nvidia driver, but don't tell how you could manage it with an ATi or Intel GPU?

To be honest, it's just because I don't have an ATI card. I will add these instructions too.

Although it's not the same, please change Compiz to Beryl, because Beryl has a stable branch, which will be safe to use. Compiz gets all the time new updates and can break your system (or better: your graphical interface).

Will do so.

I like vim more than vi

I consider them to be one and the same at this point. I can't imagine anyone ever using plain vi when vim is around.

The best manual you can find about LaTeX is the lshort ("The Not So Short
Introduction to LaTeX 2"], which you can find here: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info...ish/lshort.pdf

I know. This is why it is already referenced in my document, twice. ;)

Can you include some more distros though? At least the main ones? Mandriva, SUSE, Fedora, come to mind.

I wrote about RedHat and SUSE, but I don't think I know enough about them to write anything more detailed. I've only ever used Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, and FreeBSD.

Nice to see Aysiu's guide there..that guy's a boon to Ubuntu.

He sure is! I wish he wrote a book about Ubuntu. He could neatly format it in LaTeX like I did with this document, and publish it with one of the many self-publishing websites around.

RAV TUX
October 10th, 2006, 03:07 AM
My university's computer science department uses Linux, and CS students learn how to write scripts, C programs, and even some of Linux's internals. However, there no course to teach Linux! And unlike other groups of people, these guys are fully capable of running Linux, and are interested. So, as an executive member of the local computer club (almost a LUG, really) I decided to write a long manual that will help these students learn the basics of Linux, and install it on their home machines.

I am not nearly done, but I would like to hear comments and suggestions. The current version is at:

http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs251010/aboutLinux.pdf (http://www.cs.yorku.ca/%7Ecs251010/aboutLinux.pdf)

nice work, is it copy left?

IYY
October 10th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Obviously. ;)

RAV TUX
October 10th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Obviously. ;)

Thats simply Awesome!:p

H.E. Pennypacker
October 10th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Just remember to keep everything short; reading manuals on a computer can be a pain! Besides, who wants to read something long instead of something short?

IYY
October 10th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Well, this will be distributed in printed form, and I thought to include some history for people to understand why they should be using Free software, and what it is.