PDA

View Full Version : A brief explanation of the forum changes in progress

matthew
October 8th, 2006, 02:45 PM
We are making some changes in our forum sections. This is in direct response to input from users who have been saying that the forums seem a bit cluttered, especially on the front page.

What we are doing is merging the different sections that were based on the older Ubuntu releases; Warty, Hoary and Breezy into the Dapper sections and then making two sections; "Ubuntu Assistance" and "Other Support". In other words, we are eliminating the separate forums for each release. We have instituted a tagging system for all posts and the older posts will be tagged with the name of the distribution release from their section of origin.

We are also merging some categories that are somewhat interrelated.

Third Party support now has its own category.

Here are how things are going to look very shortly (or to which they may already have been changed).

The Beginner Community
- Absolute Beginner Talk
- News & Announcements

Ubuntu Assistance
- General Help
- Desktop Enviroments
- Apple PPC
- x86 64-bit
- Sun Sparc
- Installation & Upgrades
- Networking & Connectivity
- Hardware & Laptops
- Multimedia & Video
- Ubuntu Development Discussions
- Edgy Eft
- Breezy
- Warty
- Hoary

Other Support
- Accessibility
- Education & Science
- Gaming & Leisure
- Art & Design
- Servers & Security
- Faqs, Howtos, Documentation, Tips & Tricks
- Respositories & Backports
- Programming
- Ubuntu Users Mailing List

3rd Party Projects
- (All current projects)

Community Discussions
- Ubuntu Cafe
- Ubuntu Forum Feedback & Help
- Resolution Center
- The Jail
- The Fridge
- Community Marketplace
- Other OS Discussions

We are also discussing some subtle changes in the Development section. Since the posts in that area are only certain to relate to the specific alpha, beta, or release candidate versions of that release we will most likely NOT be moving posts or "how tos" from the development section into the Other Support forums. We request that all how tos, etc., that are written during development be tested by their authors (or others) after the final release of the new Ubuntu version and then posted to the appropriate area at that time. This will help staff as we have tried in the past to sort through and figure out what needed to stay in the development areas and what should be moved. It will also help us maintain the record of conversations during a development cycle in their proper location while minimizing clutter in other places.

If you could give us a few days or maybe a week for the dust to settle and then give us your feedback we would appreciate it. I'll leave the thread open so you can comment...again, please give us some time to sort things on our side (and find bugs) before overwhelming us with suggestions/critiques/criticism.

Thanks everyone for your understanding!! Here's hoping we can do a good job of responding to felt needs without messing it all up. :)

IoCaster
October 8th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the detailed info and all of the excellent work that the forum staff does daily. I understand that these types of forums are very dynamic in nature and that it's often necessary to do these kinds of structural adjustments.

This has quickly become one of my favorite destinations on the net. Thanks again for all of the hard work by everyone involved and rest assured that's it's very much appreciated on my end. =D>

Best regards - Joe

matthew
October 8th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the detailed info and all of the excellent work that the forum staff does daily. I understand that these types of forums are very dynamic in nature and that it's often necessary to do these kinds of structural adjustments.

This has quickly become one of my favorite destinations on the net. Thanks again for all of the hard work by everyone involved and rest assured that's it's very much appreciated on my end. =D>

Best regards - JoeWe genuinely appreciate the kind words. Thanks for the encouragement!

Mr. Picklesworth
October 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Looks good so far!

I'm assuming you guys aren't done yet since a few sections aren't there yet, so I'm looking forward to the end result :)

While you're at it, are you able to change the Alt text for the post icons?
They seem a bit odd...
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon8.gif) is definietly not angry looking, this guy (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon6.gif) doesn't come across as exactly cool, and this (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon14.gif) is certainly not a thumbs up.

Big thanks for all your hard work here!

y6FgBn)~v
October 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I agree with IoCaster. The work you guys do is outstanding and I very much appreciate all the effort. The forums have been an indispensible tool for me. Thank you Matt and thanks to the rest of the staff here,

Sincerely,

Bill

autocrosser
October 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I echo loCaster--when FireFox opens my Homepage--here I am. It has been my FIRST stop on the net almost from the first day I installed Warty--all I can say is----

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!!!!;):D:cool:

ubuntu-geek
October 8th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Looks good so far!

I'm assuming you guys aren't done yet since a few sections aren't there yet, so I'm looking forward to the end result :)

While you're at it, are you able to change the Alt text for the post icons?
They seem a bit odd...
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon8.gif) is definietly not angry looking, this guy (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon6.gif) doesn't come across as exactly cool, and this (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon14.gif) is certainly not a thumbs up.

Big thanks for all your hard work here!
Which Sections are you not seeing? :)

Mr. Picklesworth
October 8th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Off the top of my head, I'm not seeing the Breezy, Edgy, Warty, or Dapper sections under Ubuntu Release Assistance.

Oooh, I just noticed I can edit my thread titles by double clicking from the thread view!

This is an incredibly nice forum...

ubuntu-geek
October 8th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Off the top of my head, I'm not seeing the Breezy, Edgy, Warty, or Dapper sections under Ubuntu Release Assistance.

Oooh, I just noticed I can edit my thread titles by double clicking from the thread view!

This is an incredibly nice forum...
Ah those sections were merged under Ubuntu Release Assistance (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130) to the correct categories.

KrayzeKaliber
October 8th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah, we definately owe you a thanx for making the ubuntu forums as comfortable as possible.

It was just a little thing that was slightly pestering me, but thank you for getting rid of the fully capitalized forum titles (like the HOWTO section.) Now, it's crisper and more efficient than ever...I think that deserves a victory dance: \\:D/

TheMono
October 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Much cleaner. Great work!

ayoli
October 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM
first , i was a bit lost :) but finally, it appears to be a better organisation.
great job guys !

PriceChild
October 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah much simpler... just gotta get used to it!

Lost the Dev section but i'm sure i'll find it :)

Thanks for the work :)

Pricey

mixmaster
October 9th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Generally a much cleaner and uncluttered interface, but I must admit I miss having a separate forum for Edgy. Having recently installed Edgy, I was in the habit of scanning the forum to see if there was anything new which I was likely to fall over.

ubuntu-geek
Yeah much simpler... just gotta get used to it!

Lost the Dev section but i'm sure i'll find it :)

Thanks for the work :)

Pricey
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177 :)

ubuntu-geek
Generally a much cleaner and uncluttered interface, but I must admit I miss having a separate forum for Edgy. Having recently installed Edgy, I was in the habit of scanning the forum to see if there was anything new which I was likely to fall over.
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177

btdown
October 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I dont think its such a good idea to have Edgy buried three levels deep. It is your next biggest/best product. Shouldnt it be on the front page?

Also, I dont see a way to turn-off the 3rd Party Projects forums in the control panel "Edit Options" (like you can for the other forums).

Nonno Bassotto
October 9th, 2006, 03:39 PM
It seems to me that in the change we have lost the possibility to search for the threads in which we have posted (NOT the threads that we started, NOT our posts).

Before I was able to do that by searching my own name in the advanced search. It was very comfortable because it allowed me to follow the discussions in which I had partecipated.

Is there any way to do this now?

Nonno Bassotto
October 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I dont think its such a good idea to have Edgy buried three levels deep. It is your next biggest/best product. Shouldnt it be on the front page?

I second this. I think that a lot of people using the current unstable branch will look for help, so the unstable release forum should be immediately accessible.

ubuntu-geek
October 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Um click the search menu find all posts from the drop down, this allows you to see all the posts you have made. Also you can use the subscribe option to threads.

Nonno Bassotto
October 9th, 2006, 03:49 PM
As I said above, "NOT our posts". When you search for a thread, you are able to see if someone has replied, and when. I'm not interested in my posts themselves, but in the discussion.

Anyway, I will try the option to subscribe the threads. Thank you.

ubuntu-geek
October 9th, 2006, 03:55 PM
As I said above, "NOT our posts". When you search for a thread, you are able to see if someone has replied, and when. I'm not interested in my posts themselves, but in the discussion.

Anyway, I will try the option to subscribe the threads. Thank you.
hmm..

mixmaster
October 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Generally a much cleaner and uncluttered interface, but I must admit I miss having a separate forum for Edgy. Having recently installed Edgy, I was in the habit of scanning the forum to see if there was anything new which I was likely to fall over.http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177
Thanks for the pointer. I think I agree with those who say this really should be easier to find, though.

ubuntu-geek
October 9th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Really though, how hard is it to say oh, Eft is the development version maybe I should look in the development section. Shrug.. I'll change the name a little of that category to something like "Ubuntu Development (Edgy Eft)"

Mr. Picklesworth
October 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Good fix.
I noticed it already!

MedivhX
October 9th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I like the new design. In homepage it's easier to navigate through the forum.

Ptero-4
October 10th, 2006, 12:02 AM
MAybe you should place the System76 forum section in the main support category and name it "System76 Users" so that it appears among the "x86 64-bit Users", "Apple PPC Users" and "Sun SPARC Users".

ubuntu-geek
October 10th, 2006, 12:17 AM
MAybe you should place the System76 forum section in the main support category and name it "System76 Users" so that it appears among the "x86 64-bit Users", "Apple PPC Users" and "Sun SPARC Users".
System76 is a 3rd party forum.

Hatchetfish
October 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I do understand the motivation in reducing clutter, but I have to point out one piece of information has been lost, or at least made -far- more difficult to ascertain.
Which release a thread applies to. I realize that often it's stated in the thread; the 'I'm running foo.19.1.8' lines, but all too often, it isn't.

I also get the sense sometimes that what I'm about to say is heresy, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Lots of things that were true of of Ubuntu x.yz, were compatible with Ubuntu x.yz, or were the way to do things in ubuntu x.yz are NOT true, compatible, or the way to do things in a later release. And thus the importance of knowing what release a thread pertains to.

For a while before Ubuntu, I used debian, and knoppix, and for a very short while, redhat. In the case of knoppix in particular, and a lot of FOSS in general, it's true that there's a plethora of information on the web free for the googling. It's just as true that a significant portion, I would personally hazard a majority, is outdated, and therefore at best unhelpful, or worst harmful.

After the hassle of figuring out whether what i was reading was current or not for the entire preUbuntu period of my linux use, I rejoiced when 5.04 came out and 4.10 moved into its own forum. Are you sure a clearer main page is worth forcing people to guess by date what release a thread concened, and whether it still applies?

My apologies if this sounds blunt, demanding or angry, I don't intend it too, it's merely trying to clearly state a concern, and I tend toward directness in that situation.
I will be quite disappointed if this information is irrevocably lost, but I'll still think you're good people. :)

mixmaster
October 10th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Really though, how hard is it to say oh, Eft is the development version maybe I should look in the development section. Shrug.. I'll change the name a little of that category to something like "Ubuntu Development (Edgy Eft)"
Thank you - that is a great help to the categoory challenged browser like myself:p

PriceChild
October 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I must say i'm liking the organisation of the main support containers now. I think it should help different categories e.g. installs vs DEs get posted initially in the correct forums to start with, rather than everything getting plonked into General Support :)

Found the Dev forum on the main page now. I'm sure it wasn't there before ;)

I think it does deserve a bigger status though.

geearf
October 11th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Hello,

one thing I don't know where to find anymore is the kubuntu theme, back then I used to be able to change between the orange Ubuntu theme and a blue Kubuntu theme, but I can't do that anymore. What's happening ? thanks.

matthew
October 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Hello,

one thing I don't know where to find anymore is the kubuntu theme, back then I used to be able to change between the orange Ubuntu theme and a blue Kubuntu theme, but I can't do that anymore. What's happening ? thanks.Actually, that disappeared a few months ago when we updated the forum software. Unfortunately that theme wasn't compatible with the current software. Sorry.

geearf
October 11th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Ooh, is there any news about getting one other ? Because for me ubuntuforums is the main place for all *buntu, but we may feel out of ease like this ...

matthew
October 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Ooh, is there any news about getting one other ? Because for me ubuntuforums is the main place for all *buntu, but we may feel out of ease like this ...It may happen eventually, but it's not in the immediate plan.