PDA

View Full Version : Too good for linux?

jcrnan
October 8th, 2006, 03:00 AM
I have now used Ubuntu for two months or so and it has been very pleasing and I like that the community and way most linux users hold together.

However, Ive seen and heard some linux users beeing very strict about who they think should use linux. Like if they use it in some way the others dont agree with they dont think they are good enough to use linux or dont fit with using linux. It can be anything from illegall filesharing, opinions on microsoft, how they want to use linux, etc.

In my opinon this is kind of absurd, why should others be less entitled to use linux then you, just because they have a different opinion or does something differently. I find this train of thought often in "oldschool" linux users. I think its important to welcome the new users the best we can to make the community even better, not push new people away to make a small noninclusive community.

What do you think of this? Have you experienced this yourself?

rfruth
October 8th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I agree, as long as its legal use it anyway you want/need !

K.Mandla
October 8th, 2006, 03:11 AM
What do you think of this? Have you experienced this yourself?
Not directly. I have seen some rather "elitist" attitudes with regard to Linux -- nothing like RTFM, but plenty of STFW-type answers. It's never appropriate, particularly when it takes very little effort to pitch in and help.

On the other hand, I do think there are people who would do better sticking with Windows. It's not because of their ability level or their technical skill -- it's because what they want is Windows, and as we all know, Linux isn't Windows. ;)

Josh1
October 8th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Not directly. I have seen some rather "elitist" attitudes with regard to Linux -- nothing like RTFM, but plenty of STFW-type answers. It's never appropriate, particularly when it takes very little effort to pitch in and help.

On the other hand, I do think there are people who would do better sticking with Windows. It's not because of their ability level or their technical skill -- it's because what they want is Windows, and as we all know, Linux isn't Windows. ;)

What I hate is when people bash linux/ubuntu but have never used it before. When they use it, they love it.
Or when people use ubuntu for a day/a couple of days then think that they knwoe evrything about it.
Or when they try to make excuses on why they can't use it (My hardware isn't supported! - When it is).
- My 2 cents.

The Noble
October 8th, 2006, 03:43 AM
I do the what you are pointing out, but they are usually replying to something that disagrees with linux in general -- It isn't windows.

chajuram
October 8th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Hi,

I agree with you. I have seen such users, I am sure are very well informed about linux, but have the attitude that we don't care if anyone else uses it. But I think we will all gain if there are more linux users.

And linux itself is so diverse no one kind of ppl should or will use linux. Unity in diversity.

Chajuram.

Shay Stephens
October 8th, 2006, 05:05 AM
There are elitists in every community that will look down on new users and or new ways of doing things. You can ignore such like ones and carry on your merry way. No one and nothing but total lack of progress will ever make them happy.

They are doomed, you are not :-)

DoctorMO
October 8th, 2006, 05:10 AM
hehbring on the new users. all the beter to test my new programs.

jISh
October 8th, 2006, 06:19 AM
People that bash things without actually trying them are a bad breed and should always be ignored. Nobody is too good for Linux or anything else, it's only one's capacity and willingness to learn that drives people to their choices. Most people just don't care so they use the pre-installed Windows with their bought machines.

aysiu
October 8th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I agree with K.Mandla.

There's no point in saying someone doesn't deserve to use Linux or isn't good enough for Linux.

There are people who should not be using Linux, though, because it doesn't suit their needs. Use what suits your needs.

Lord Illidan
October 8th, 2006, 06:53 AM
People are not good enough for Linux when they bitch on about not being able to do things the way Windows does it, imho.

henriquemaia
October 8th, 2006, 07:17 AM
If you feel right using it, who cares what others think?

Lord Illidan
October 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
If you feel right using it, who cares what others think?

Good one!

kerry_s
October 8th, 2006, 07:33 AM
I'm guilty. I tend to lash out at people when they start putting down linux because it's not as easy as there windows install. Once they start comparing linux to windows, i'll just tell them "hey, linux is not for you then, your looking for windows" and i might not say it in such a nice way. I just can't understand why people would choose to try linux and expect to find windows, it's common sense, you wouldn't expect mac to act like windows.

aysiu
October 8th, 2006, 07:42 AM
There's a big difference between saying "Linux is not for you" and "You're not good enough for Linux."

Josh1
October 8th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I'm guilty. I tend to lash out at people when they start putting down linux because it's not as easy as there windows install. Once they start comparing linux to windows, i'll just tell them "hey, linux is not for you then, your looking for windows" and i might not say it in such a nice way. I just can't understand why people would choose to try linux and expect to find windows, it's common sense, you wouldn't expect mac to act like windows.

I reckon that the dapper install for ubuntu is really simple.. an eight year old could figure it out its that easy.
I agree totally with you, they switch to linux when most of the programs they use are complete crap and run on windows, I actually was using firefox, thunderbird etc before switching to ubuntu, changed to breezy back in january and I loved it.