PDA

View Full Version : python, no idle

lmellen
April 15th, 2005, 08:52 PM
:?Does anybody know what needs to be installed for the python idle? I have python, no idle!
Thanks -- Larry :)

jdonnell
April 15th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I just looked and idle doesn't appear to be on my system.

Why not use gedit instead or kate if your on kubuntu. Both of these have more features than idle and you can use them for other programming/editing.

dataw0lf
April 15th, 2005, 09:06 PM
sudo apt-get install idle-python2.4

gedit and kate are for the birds. (g)vim is where it's at.

lmellen
April 15th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks DatawOlf, that worked -- Larry :)

jdonnell
April 15th, 2005, 10:31 PM

Strange, on warty I did an
apt-cache search idle
and didn't see that package.

gedit and kate are for the birds. (g)vim is where it's at.

I presonally use a mix of kate and gvim. I use kate for my heavy coding and gvim for light things. The projects in kate are very convenient, I love the little dots it uses to show tabs (i do a lot of python), and I hate not being able to ctrl-c and ctrl-v for copy and paste in gvim. I also have an eye disease and reading the small text in gvim can be hard sometimes. Is there an easy way to change the font size? I look but it wasn't quickly apparent. Basically, you can tell that vim wasn't designed for gui use and it can be frustrating.

maubp
November 7th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Cheers :)

That just did the trick on my Breezy Badger installation (which was upgraded from Hoary). I had just given up after searching the installed files and turned to google...

It didn't occur to me that IDLE wouldn't be part of the standard python install. Its showing up on the programming languages section of the "start menu" too, as expected.

There was a brief hickup with python-rpy-doc, but uninstalling that allowed idle-python2.4 to install without error.