PDA

View Full Version : Edgy -- When and what?

graabein
October 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Hi, just wondering when Edgy is due? This month I suppose but when? And what are the main improvements I can expect?

Ubuntu GNU/Linux is great! I don't need no Windows except for gaming! :D

plb
October 7th, 2006, 03:07 PM
oct 25th I believe? improvements can be found on the wiki.

Old Pink
October 7th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Expected Release Date: October 26th 2006
Features: (Link 1 (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/knot2?highlight=%28Edgy%29),2 (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/knot3?highlight=%28Edgy%29))
Download BETA: (Link (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/EdgyBeta?highlight=%28Edgy%29))

taurus
October 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Or it will be out whenever it will be out... :rolleyes: And besides, there are 31 days in October!

weasel fierce
October 7th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Looks promising :) Sometimes its hard to believe Ubuntu can keep getting better

Mr. Picklesworth
October 7th, 2006, 05:40 PM
This news item was recently posted:
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/EdgyBeta

Full overview of changes:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyEft/Beta

It looks and sounds beautiful!
The rounded window corners a great touch, the new login screen is (in my opinion) a much-needed addition, and the simple bootup splash looks great. The desktop background is quite neat looking; very colourful, but very simple at the same time.
I would like that boot splash a bit less colourful, actually, but I guess it blends with everything else.

Speaking of blending, it looks to me like they've put some serious work into having every part of the OS blend into the next. With previous versions I never really liked how the boot splash, the login screen and the desktop looked so different.

Automated crash reporting... cool. I hope developers don't get swamped with reports, but I guess there are quick ways to sort them.
Evolution still looks very professional...
Screen readers are cool :)

Except maybe speach recognition, I think they've more than caught up with Windows now.

I really want to download the beta and try it out (I'm sure the little features, such as maybe improved wireless support, are just as nice) but I have too many servers and important files running on here to take the risk :(
Good luck, Ubuntu developers. Good luck.

aldegaz
October 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I am using the Beta release of Edgy Eft and it looks fantastic

Its a whole different thing.

Firefox Beta Bon Echo keeps crashing though.

DoctorMO
October 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Except maybe speach recognition, I think they've more than caught up with Windows now.

We want to get it right before we start includding such primitive software with our distros:

1) Phonim Regonition
2) Word Construction
3) Training and speach patterns

Me I want to work on english execution as a supliment for bash, so you can type in 'Can you find me all the jpegs in my home directory?' and it'll do the search with the idea being that it can one day be integrated with speach recog'. which is far harder because you have to get the computer to _understand_ english in a very context heavy way and then make sure it's keeping track of results and a history of previous instructions so context becomes clearer.

Although this isn't for Engy + 10 ;-)

Edgy looks totaly fantastic, can't wait, I might reinstall this machine as ubuntu edgy instead of upgrade to kubuntu edgy.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Looking at those screenshots again... Have they decreased the default number of virtual desktops to 2?
If so, I think it's a good idea. 4 boxes probably looks a bit intimidating to some people and the 2 somehow seems more asthetically pleasing.

Edit:
Ah, right! They used to do 4 on two rows so it definitely looked a bit scary. I always reduce it back to one row and promptly forget.
Yep, good move.
Can windows be dragged on the little virtual desktop icons like in Enlightenment?

Polygon
October 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
i see a lot of betas in the "new features", will this release be stable enough to use as a day to day desktop? ( i know it wont be as stable as dapper)

Mr. Picklesworth
October 7th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Firefox 2 will be out shortly and Gaim 2 beta 4 ( I expected it to be out last weekend :( ) is hoped to be Gaim 2's last beta before release... so I think the developers are just hoping for those to get done as soon as possible.

The Noble
October 8th, 2006, 03:57 AM
The actual install of edgy is a little messy right now, but if everything gets successfully installed there is very little to worry about. My main quip is that the new "generic" (as opposed to 386, 686, etc) kernels are causing quite a bit of people problems.

Otherwise I've never had any crashes since knot 2 (started testing at knot 1 and reinstalled beta) and everything looks VERY beautiful.

graabein
October 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies and links. Edgy looks nice and I'm especially looking forward to reducing boot time. I load alot of unneccessary modules and I've not taken the time to read up on BUM and those wiki's yet. New Firefox and Gaim is also going to be nice.

:-D