PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn RELEASE POOL!

geekgod
April 15th, 2005, 08:22 PM
so yeah this is a linux forum but face it we all are forced to use windows from time to time if we are in the industry.. so the latest and greatest from our friends in redmond should come out next year, but when.
p.s. the only reason they are not open source is because they do not want to expose their use of code borrowed for the linux comunity ;)

My Money is on 06-06-06 yes June 06, 2006 hey if microsoft is so evil as they are made out to be it sounds appropriate

Stormy Eyes
April 15th, 2005, 08:25 PM
What I want to know is what will be released first: Longhorn, Enlightenment 0.17, or Duke Nukem Forever?

accuser
April 15th, 2005, 08:26 PM
This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666. (Revelation 13:18)

The 666 is six hundred and sixty-six, not six six six.

Stormy Eyes
April 15th, 2005, 08:42 PM
The 666 is six hundred and sixty-six, not six six six.

Blame Hollywood. In The Omen, Damien was born on June 6 at 6:00AM.

geekgod
April 15th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Blame Hollywood. In The Omen, Damien was born on June 6 at 6:00AM.

I Blame hollywood,
no I Blame Rap Music,
no I Blame my Parents,

ah screw it i blame the government and um big oil and big business,
maybe i should blame the media,

I dunno i just know if it wasnt for someone else i wouldnt have done what I had done......

brain | grep dirty_thoughts | /dev/null

Stormy Eyes
April 15th, 2005, 08:58 PM
ah screw it i blame the government and um big oil and big business,
maybe i should blame the media,

Don't blame me. Blame yourself or God.

poofyhairguy
April 15th, 2005, 09:20 PM
so yeah this is a linux forum but face it we all are forced to use windows from time to time if we are in the industry.. so the latest and greatest from our friends in redmond should come out next year, but when.
p.s. the only reason they are not open source is because they do not want to expose their use of code borrowed for the linux comunity ;)

My Money is on 06-06-06 yes June 06, 2006 hey if microsoft is so evil as they are made out to be it sounds appropriate

When will longhorn be released?

I know when-

Too late for many desktop users who wanted the features years ago,

and

Too early for businesses that dislike SP2, let alone a new OS. Many happily run 2K.

Ironi
April 15th, 2005, 09:25 PM
What I want to know is what will be released first: Longhorn, Enlightenment 0.17, or Duke Nukem Forever?
Shorthorn (scaled-back Longhorn) will be released first. DNF will follow a few years later. E17...? Never. ;)

Ubunted
April 16th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I say 2007, but they'll have to cut so much out of it it will be a fancied-up XP, nothing more until the first few Service Packs.

As for DNF - never!

totalshredder
April 16th, 2005, 12:54 AM
I say 2007, but they'll have to cut so much out of it it will be a fancied-up XP, nothing more until the first few Service Packs.

As for DNF - never!
You do need to realize how many programmers they have working for them; the chances of longhorn being a rehash of XP are extremely low.

jdong
April 16th, 2005, 01:43 AM
You do need to realize how many programmers they have working for them; the chances of longhorn being a rehash of XP are extremely low.

Umm, actually the 1st release of Longhorn (which some call Shorthorn) will be the XP SP2 kernel/core + the new GUI (for systems that can handle it).

The big improvements, like the new kernel w/M(D)AC and WinFS will come later.

kleeman
April 16th, 2005, 02:24 AM
/sarcasm on
Shiver I can hardly wait and I bet its a steal at $500
/sarcasm off

az
April 16th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Regardless, I am sure that they will leverage their share of patents and manufacturer-exclusive features. They will not release unless they have something that will offer damning competition to the best of what open source software can offer.

Ubunted
April 16th, 2005, 03:49 AM
If that's the case, at the current speed of development of the Linux desktop, they won't be releasing ANYTHING! :razz:

mike998
April 16th, 2005, 06:41 AM
When will longhorn be released?

I know when-

Too late for many desktop users who wanted the features years ago,

and

Too early for businesses that dislike SP2, let alone a new OS. Many happily run 2K.

holy...
oh my god...
I won't install wxp sp2 at work because it will break the crap I am reliant on at work and refuse to run Windows at home becasuse I don't trust it.
Blinding flash of light, dude...

geeky
April 16th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I believe that Microsoft will bring up a very strong, secure, reliable OS.
from how I see it, Microsoft realizes the troubles that Linux and Mac OS X will cause for windows, so this is why they don't want to just release a new "upgrade" version of windows xp. They want something totally new and rock-solid.
And, since i'm a programmer (Java, C++, C#, VB), I can tell you that Microsoft is trying to attract as many programmers as they possibly can with the new .NET Framework 2.0 and the new feautres included in Longhorn. They're making programming for Widnows so easy, fast and smart. More programmers = more software = more users.
The .NET Framework was released after windows xp, so it wasn't included in windows by default. The .NET Framework 2.0 will be released in a few months, probably this summer. This means that it's gonna be included in the next version of windows which will make running .NET programs so freaking easy. Now users have to download the .NET Framework from windows update website, and it's hard for those who have dial-up since it's almost 23MB...
i think i went a little off topic!... anyway, all what i'm saying is that Longhorn will differ from its anscestors (Win XP, 2000, ME, 98) in a good way, thank to Linux and Mac OS X.

geekgod
April 16th, 2005, 07:57 PM
when installing xp i turn off all the fufu frilly pretty... GUI stuf anyway... all my windows boxes look like win95 so why oh why should i upgrade to get a new prettier GUI im going to just shut off///

Jesus Franco
April 18th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Some people talk alot of stuff about windows it makes it seem as if the Linux community is jellous at the shine windows recieve by software makers. But it gets all this shine, because of its ease of use. Regardless of the fact that windows crashes a hell of alot more than kde. And that windows is a damn ugly os. And that windows is slow as hell. It is easy. Easy to hack, easy to break, easy to use. Longhorn wont be all that different because 1. If they do change alot then all new software wont be able to run on XP. This will be forcing companies around the world to upgrade to either XP with the updates or Longhorn. (most will pick Longhorn if any) Some companies will switch to linux after they face the new dilema M$ will cause.

They think thier doing something good....They are not. They try but always manage to screw something up making everything compatiable with older version of windows. Make Longhorn completely different and give it a new filesystem to take advantage of its features. And make it 100% incompatible with older crap. This way it can rid of older virus and have less problems. But no by them only changing a few things (most of witch matter) they are making it easier for hackers to update virus for use with Longhorn. M$ is dummer than I thought. They think about companies than the usuall desktop user. Witch is why windows sucks for home use.

PS I do know i misspelled lots of words. I do not care.

TravisNewman
April 18th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Let's try to keep it clean everyone :)

Jesus Franco
April 18th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Sorry. I asumed there was a word blocker or something....Sorry.

escuchamezz
April 18th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Shlonghorn will be released in 2007, with great security enhancements :twisted:

TravisNewman
April 18th, 2005, 10:55 PM
It's cool, we all let it slip from time to time ;)

And yes, there's a word filter, but it's lenient so that it doesn't, for example, edit jdong or kassetra's names.