PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu virus?

new_foo
October 7th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I read a week or two ago a post about ubuntu having virus like properties. That is, that it was making its way on to more machines around the person's house. Well, it seems the incubation period is about three weeks. I was showing my co-worker my dual-booting xp/ubuntu machine over the last three weeks. Yesterday he said he downloaded the live cd and wanted to know how to install it. I suspect his machine is now infected!

Thank you all for such a great program!:D

lemonsCC
October 7th, 2006, 05:59 AM
LOL...I was getting worried until i read the whole post!

WalmartSniperLX
October 7th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I remember that one :D

bulldog
October 7th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I have the same problem,the 'virus' is on multiple machines now.

Don't know a solution to recover :D

whistl3r
October 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I ordered a few cds and even my 14 y.o. sister gave a few to her friends.

gn2
October 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I had it on a machine with XP for a while, and when I tried to remove the Grub virus it completely hosed my XP install!

Seems to prefer having it's very own hard drive to live on.

xpod
October 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
The ubu\Kub strain has completely desimated it`s host on these machines and im happy to say that XP`s O.D is looking permanant this time and i dont think theres any real hope of recovery for the poor thing..

Invasion of the box snatchers......comming soon to a box near YOU!!!

motstudios
October 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM
the ubuntu virus has infected my entire computer and even my wifes ibook and her desktop got infected :p

but hey, the ubuntu virus is the best to catch ;)

RudolfMDLT
October 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
The Ubuntu Virus is going to kill off all inferior OS's!

MKR.
October 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I wonder what AV vendors would call Ubuntu...

Ubuntu@x86blah

Who comes up with the naming schemes for malware anyway? It always seemed a bit clunky, and there doesn't appear to be a standard.

haxer
October 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM
How the f*** can you guys get viruses never happend to me and im up and going 24/7 never had a single virus [-(

deadgobby
October 7th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I have Ubie virus on one box and this Suse virus on the secound one. Some reason MS cannot run on either machines. Damn that linux virus.:mrgreen:
Gobby

haxer
October 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM
lol thought only XXX pages had virus and ive got girlfriend so im not in to that pages :P

gn2
October 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM
How the f*** can you guys get viruses never happend to me and im up and going 24/7 never had a single virus [-(

I only got one Virus, it's called Ubuntu, and it completely took over my laptop causing me to entirely remove Windows?

Get it?

Omnios
October 7th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Ubuntu gradually ate away at my Xp install to the point where it is just there.

xpod
October 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM
How the f*** can you guys get viruses never happend to me and im up and going 24/7 never had a single virus

A well established infection it sounds like to me.

BLTicklemonster
October 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
This virus is well documented, and will many times cause windows to be completely wiped from systems it has infected. Some Mac systems are affected, too, as well as other linux installations!

Perhaps the cron virus is behind it all? Daemon may still be at her old tricks, Hexadecimal notwithstanding.

Where's Bob and the Guardians when you need him?

(you have to be a true geek to even get that. Being Canadian helps, I guess, but I'm from America, so there's hope for me still, I reckon.)

dolphinsonar
October 8th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Ubuntu Virus Inspires Unprecidented Cooperative FUD Campaign From Windows and MAC

handy
October 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM
This insidious virus carries a trojan, it has the unprecedented technique of sending it's infection out on the monitors electronic radiation, infiltrating the cerebral cortex via the gateway of the victims eyes.

Once the victim is infected, his brain is changed forever, he becomes addicted to the virus, & must spend more & more time feeding the trojan.

The trojan becomes stronger the more it is fed, & eventually forces the victim to attempt to infect all computers that are contacted.

At this stage there is no known cure.

One could call it a Terminal infection.

bulldog
October 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I had it on a machine with XP for a while, and when I tried to remove the Grub virus it completely hosed my XP install!

Seems to prefer having it's very own hard drive to live on.

Yep,you're not aloud to remove the virus:D
Now you know that,don't try it again.8)

Paul133
October 8th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah guys, lol, and all, but what if someone sees this post and gets scared? I think we should rename it and move it, but that's just my opinion. What do you think?

xpod
October 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM
SO scared they just pack up and leave without a backwards glance.....mmm

Seems a bit extreme.....Nobody THAT daft surely..........:shock:

man-man
October 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM
If people could be scared that badly by a virus then Linux would be the dominant OS by now

smoker
October 8th, 2006, 11:32 PM
SO scared they just pack up and leave without a backwards glance.....mmm

guess i must be fearless:evil:

hi, Xpod:D :D :D

ReaderRat
October 8th, 2006, 11:51 PM
AV vendors call Ubuntu "Up Tight & Outa' Sight". Hello MKR. from Winder. This is ReaderRat from Athens.

aktiwers
October 9th, 2006, 12:01 AM
**** !! I think I got it too!

OMG!! Its on both my Computers!!! Arrghh!!

Cartwheels4amile
October 9th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Odd... this "virus" seems to be quite a bit more fun to use than Windows. It's also very stable... and includes all the functionality of the other OSes I've used in the past.

Amazing too that it will install a variant of itself, "xubuntu" on my older machines. They're running so well now!

Only my parent's computers are safe at the moment...

Josey
October 9th, 2006, 12:17 AM
It hit me too. At first it didn't seem so infectious. Before I knew it though windows was completely wiped out by this thing.

blendmaster
October 9th, 2006, 12:21 AM
There's no better virus than Ubuntu (though its alternatives are close runner-ups)!:D

handy
October 9th, 2006, 12:45 AM
If people could be scared that badly by a virus then Linux would be the dominant OS by now

LOL Too true... :D

JayTee
October 9th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Two of my computers got infected with the Ubuntu virus. After checking out the properties of the virus I immediately uninstalled my anti-virus software so it wouldn't quarantine it. It sounds sick but I just love being infected.:-D This is way better than any of the Windows viruses I've gotten infected with, especially the dreaded MS Upgrade virus that seems to not only be able to infect my computer but also removes money from my wallet leaving me half-broke and in possesion of a huge bloated silicon boat anchor and I don't even own a boat!

redbull_monsta
October 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Now i wonder if anyone has tried developing a small worm that infects MS windows users and download a small linux distro.... and erm.....

... im off to do some coding :D

(just joking dont delete meh po$t)

petersjm
October 12th, 2006, 02:05 PM
One of the boxes in my house is completely infected - it wiped out Windows in like two weeks. But it seems my partner's box is so tightly secured by Windows (it must have a firewall or something...I don't know) that there appears to be no loophole or open port to allow this virus in... Hmmm.

Rhubarb
October 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM
<extreme sarcasm>
Just to let everyone know that I've tried to remove the virus with windows defender using wine.
It seems the Ubuntu virus (and its strains, Kubuntu and Xubuntu) prevent me from running windows defender!
So if you've been infected, there's no going back.
Can we trust an open source AV such as clamAV to detect and remove the ubuntu virus? - No!
We are all doomed!

It is time to bury all of our m$ CDs into a time capsule and fire it into space for "safe keeping".
If the Ubuntu virus infects the rocket's navigation systems ... it might just end up flying into the sun. That's a chance I'm prepared to take.
</extreme sarcasm>

PriceChild
October 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah guys, lol, and all, but what if someone sees this post and gets scared? I think we should rename it and move it, but that's just my opinion. What do you think?I tend to agree... I'm gonna move it into the Cafe seen as it isn't really for technical help and i was a bit :O:S myself when i saw it. I'll leave a re-direct though until it gets buried.

Personally... i'm afraid to say that the ubuntu virus is capable of jumping hard-drives... XP's not been booted in 2 months and could very well disappear entirely!

LMP900
October 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Hmm... this is a strange virus indeed. I actually downloaded this "virus" using my Mac. Then it infected one of my blank CDs and my old Compaq must have caught it when it came into contact with that CD-R.

Since then, it has infected all of my computers, except for my Mac. I must say, well done Apple for making such a secure machine! The other computers, however, quickly succumbed to the virus.

The strangest thing about this so-called "virus," is that it upgrades itself every 6 months or so. It becomes faster and more powerful. I suspect more computers will fall victim. My iMac seems immune right now, but there's no guarantee that it can fight it off forever.

viper
October 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM
This infecton is going nuts at my place;)

PapaWiskas
October 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/papawiskas/geico.jpg

True statement....it was easy for me to catch that dang virus...

Echo35
October 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM
The "Virus" first attacked my Micro$oft Machine, and then it just ran rampant from there. It quickly spread to my new computer, and after that, it breached the bounds of my residence and is spreading rapidly through my community. It seems to be yet another virus that Windows can't handle ;)

der_joachim
October 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Heh nice thread. For some reason, my gf seems quite resistant to the Ubuntu virus, although I have seen her behind my Ubuntu box a few times lately. Probably has something to do with support for her digital camera.

For some reason, one of my computers at work (I have three, so I must be very important :mrgreen:) has caught that very same virus. One of my other boxes has a very very old strain of the so-called Redhat virus. One of my interns caught the Ubuntu virus as well. So did a few colleagues. It is spreading.

BLTicklemonster
October 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Shame it's not self installing... ;)

barbedsaber
January 6th, 2008, 08:30 PM
It seems that vista computers are most susceptible to this virus, yet macs are almost immune. :-k

Techwiz
January 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Luckily my case seems to be contained. But I'm working on it... :)

Linuxratty
January 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Ubuntu gradually ate away at my Xp install to the point where it is just there.

Yeah,I know about that...I have a mepis7 infected computer and one of my house mates has just been infected with fedora8...Linux is infections...
I also gave away two disks last night as part of a gift exchange....