PDA

View Full Version : GTK/xorg/metacity window drawing sluggishness

NoTiG
October 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Ok, i recently posted this before.... it is not my imagination or hardware. I have THREE different computers, each with completely different hardware. I have used open source drivers, mesa drivers... and binary drivers and the result is the same regardless.

1. Open up system monitor and watch cpu usage
2. Click on the top of a window and hold it down
3. watch the cpu usage go from 0 - 100 when you start moving the window around

So what exactly is causing this? xorg, metacity, or gtk?

BTW i have tested this with systems with ATI and nvidia cards. it makes no difference.

(i havent tested aiglx or xgl though)

mushroom
October 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM
That's generally my biggest complaint about desktop Linux. Really sluggish window drawing; it has me considering turning on composite and moving to KDE so I can use its neat effects without having to use Compiz/Beryl.

ahaslam
October 6th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Have you got intergrated graphics?

Tony.

NoTiG
October 7th, 2006, 12:58 AM
no i dont have integrated graphics... even on my laptop. I have a Geforce 7900 GS, a geforce 6200 and an ati 9600

NoTiG
October 7th, 2006, 03:00 AM
interestingly enough though........ i just tested with 3d acceleration and it doesnt seem to spike the processor

maniacmusician
October 7th, 2006, 03:19 AM
and no sluggishness either? [sigh] lucky you

NoTiG
October 7th, 2006, 03:35 AM
the edges of windows still look a bit glitchy when moving....... just because the cpu isnt being spiked anymore doesnt necessarily mean nothing is wrong.... it just means that the burden has transfered to the graphics card.