PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm removing ubuntu from my Mac

future318
October 6th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I'm not writing this post to trash or flame ubuntu. I simply want to relate my own experience to help the ubuntu devs pinpoint why and how people like myself (graphic designer, working on Macs since 1985) are making the decision *not to migrate* to ubuntu.

I've been learning to manage a Debian-based dedicated server and have been enjoying that process, very impressed with how far server management and linux have come since I last had to deal with running a web server (in the late 90s!).

I decided to install ubuntu 6.1 beta on my old Apple Powerbook G3/500Mhz machine. Install was flawless, despite the ageing CD-ROM drive. Impressed. Setting up wifi networking was easy. So was configuring e-mail in the Revolution client.

That's where things got complicated. No way to play Flash media -- Adobe's downloadable Flash for Linux does not work on PPC-based architecture. And at first, I couldn't even play MP3s because they are (and rightly so) considered proprietary...

Putting the laptop to sleep and waking it up appeared to cause some problems: Revolution crashed after waking up, for example.

The graphics are noticeably slower in ubuntu, no doubt because the drivers are not optimized for my ancient ATI onboard graphics card.

Finally, of course, I don't know how to use the new OS. The lack of a right-hand mouse button is a problem, even if I can reprogram a key or use F12 to get the contextual menus to pop up. I simply don't know my way around the file system and configuration.

If I had a newer Intel-based Mac, I'd probably keep ubuntu in a virtual machine or on a separate partition. I can see the potential, and I certainly appreciate the philosophy.

But the bottom line for me is: I'm reformating my drive and re-installing MacOS X 10.4.

Last time I tried to install Unix on a Mac, it was in 1998, I think it was called *Yellow Dog Linux* or some such. I couldn't get the thing to install or boot. So in 8 years, there has certainly been much progress.

K.Mandla
October 6th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Good points. I had similar issues with a Powerbook G4 a friend wanted to sell me. I loved the look, and Ubuntu installed without a hitch, but in the end I couldn't get full video acceleration, and the price was just too high to warrant it.

Either way, thanks for a very rational and well-reasoned explanation. Please consider sticking around, even if it's just to offer suggestions. Cheers!

DoctorMO
October 6th, 2006, 09:49 PM
play MP3s because they are (and rightly so) considered proprietary...

Rightly so?! you think having your own data encased in someone elses patents is right? something very screwed up about your morals there.

As for your Mac, it's not a suprise I'm glad you've tried it and I'm sure you might suggest it to pc users in the future. mac os x has things no free linux can ever have by default.

Flash is a problem, and I don't believe it should be used or encouraged. a suspect format and another way to defraud content makers like me and you into making their content inaccessable and bound to one tech-company.

The dev stuff is interesting, but you won't do much good by posting it here, this is other users, hardly any devs hang out here if you want some of the issues you've had dealt with you need to file bug reports as I don't believe even linux developers are mind readers. unfortunatly because you've removed ubuntu it might be more dificult to report findings back to the developers now.

PatrickMay16
October 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Rightly so?! you think having your own data encased in someone elses patents is right? something very screwed up about your morals there.

Keep your head on. He/she was saying that it's right for mp3 to be considered proprietary. Not that they should be proprietary.

MrDigital1
October 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I've also tried Ubuntu on my iBook G4 and have since reinstalled Tiger. I keep a PPC CD around though to boot into now and then, but I don't see myself installing it again until a possible later release.

I use Ubuntu at work though on my primary machine (I have two) and am pretty happy with it.

DoctorMO
October 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Keep your head on. He/she was saying that it's right for mp3 to be considered proprietary. Not that they should be proprietary.

Sorry, got my wings ruffled a second there.

aysiu
October 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I would never recommend putting Linux on PowerPC or AMD64 unless the person putting it on were a Linux desktop expert and/or had no need for proprietary formats.

vayu
October 7th, 2006, 12:40 AM
relate my own experience to help the ubuntu devs pinpoint why and how people like myself (graphic designer, working on Macs since 1985) are making the decision *not to migrate* to ubuntu.

I decided to install ubuntu 6.1 beta on my old Apple Powerbook G3/500Mhz machine. Install was flawless, despite the ageing CD-ROM drive. Impressed. Setting up wifi networking was easy. So was configuring e-mail in the Revolution client.

If you believe that it is important for the developers to know that they are not spending enough attention on Apple Powerbook G3/500Mhz machines, then you might like to know they don't hang out here. I believe not at all. You might be better suited to post a question about how to make a suggestion that the developers will see.

Frak
October 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Thats why I never buy a Mac unless I REALLY NEED a Mac.

Josey
October 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM
It may be selfish but I personally am glad the devs aren't wasting their time on a machine I'll never want.

aysiu
October 7th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Since Mac has gone to x86 anyway, I don't see any reason to put more effort into supporting PowerPC.

3rdalbum
October 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Since Mac has gone to x86 anyway, I don't see any reason to put more effort into supporting PowerPC.

Then you must be blind, like the referee at the Perth Glory match yesterday :-P

People with PowerPC Macs are shortly going to find that new programs won't run on them. Maybe iTunes 8 will be Intel-only; Apple loves to keep its users on the upgrade path. In any case, there will be a heap of people who are looking for ways to keep their PPC computers up-to-date and productive.

These people form a large part of the Mac users who try Linux. Just look at how many Ubuntu PPC users here are running it on early G3s. If we can impress them with how good Ubuntu is on the PowerPC, with the promise that it will be better on x86, it's very possible they'll buy PCs and abandon Apple in favour of Ubuntu.

How do I know this? I got sick of Apple's neverending upgrade path, started using Ubuntu on an obselete iMac and within 5 months I'd bought a PC which runs Ubuntu full-time. Lots of us exist.

Besides, many IBM servers use PowerPC chips, and since Ubuntu is making a play for the server (and SUSE, Mandriva and Red Hat/Fedora are available for PPC), it's a logical idea to support this architecture. Plus, who can resist the idea of Ubuntu running on a Wii? :-)

aysiu
October 7th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Oh, I believe in supporting PowerPC. I just don't think that more effort should be put into supporting it.

It gets the support it's getting, and that's fine.

arkangel
October 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM
the tittle sounds better this way why I should remove mac form Ubuntu 8)

Kilz
October 7th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I would never recommend putting Linux on PowerPC or AMD64 unless the person putting it on were a Linux desktop expert and/or had no need for proprietary formats.

I dont think setting up the amd64 version should only be for linux experts. There are lots of easy howto's and auto scripts for the common problem things like flash that the orignal poster complained about.

3rdalbum
October 9th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Oh, I believe in supporting PowerPC. I just don't think that more effort should be put into supporting it.

It gets the support it's getting, and that's fine.

I thought that might have been what you meant, but I was also addressing some earlier posters.

Nevertheless, PPC needs a bit more love, as there are some long-standing bugs with Xorg on the G3 iMacs, Ubuntu's kernel on G5s, and installation onto external HDs. If Edgy + 1 could fix these long-standing problems, that's all the Mac users would ask for, and that's all the additional support it would need. Just a one-time additional contribution.

GREGMACKENZIE
October 10th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I won't claim to be an Ubuntu expert by any means and I understand and sympathize with the frustrations of those trying to switch their Mac OS to Ubuntu. So be prepared for something different in Ubuntu. Ask yourself what are my expectations?

If your going to switch to Ubuntu and be happy with the switch you have to ask yourself what am I going to be doing? There's a place for the proprietary world, and a place (a growing one) for Ubuntu. I think there's a lot Ubuntu does pretty well. Part of the attraction is the free os, and plenty of software.

Recently I upgraded my Ubuntu OS from 5.4 to 5.10 using the CD. I like what I see and I'm hoping to get a chance to upgrade from 5.10, to Dapper this weekend via the same method.

If your going to switch to Ubuntu you've got to "think differently". :-) You kind of have to set everything you know aside and be prepared to learn something new. Its not always easy but its definitely satisfying.

I would hope that the Ubuntu Developers realize there are mounds of old equipment out there that could be recycled with a new OS. So don't leave us!

Greg
:-)