PDA

View Full Version : Does Ubuntu dream of Linux Penquins?

Dragonbite
October 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I had a dream a few nights ago, and I don't remember much of the details but one part has stuck in my mind.

I was in a small store somewhere (vacation probably) and I saw the register they were using was rebooting. The way I knew this was I saw the splashscreen which was just like the Ubuntu/Kubuntu/etc. screens with the name nicely displayed across the middle (black background).

EXCEPT:
It was called something like "Coobuntu"
The letters were in (metallic, shiny) Green
It was running a cash register (Point of Sale)
I know that Ubuntu is going more commercial but I didn't expect THIS! Is this some foreshadowing of what is to come? Is there a project I stumbled across without realizing it? It would make sense, though, to run a Point of Sale system on Linux because of the same reasons why it is good to run on the desktop ...
Secure
Open (Source-wise)
No (or little) Licensing fees
No vendor lock-in
Works on older hardware too! (easy to add more registers software-wise)
Customizable
Never really thought about it before, but that is another avenue for Linux adoption especially in the Small/Medium Businesses which are still just beginning to get attention from the behemoths (or so the news articles lead you to believe).

Of course they get their registers working on it, they'll want it connected to a secure server and if there is good enough accounting applications to back it up in the office /ordering /stockroom use it could really make a splash.

Ok, I'm rambling. I do hope, though, that somebody who may be able to do this, or believes in this enough may take the concept and run with it! This could even be a money-maker...

I'll have to fool around with the existing logos and see if I can come up with the image I had dreamed of, of "Coobuntu" (Cash-Only-Operating-"buntu"?)

RussianVodka
October 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Wierd.

lkagan
October 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Linux POS systems are nothing new. The Lowes near my house uses a KDE desktop so there is some *nix under there.

Mark Shuttleworth (Ubuntu founder) is a business man. Did you know that he was the founder of Thawte, the ssl certificate company? He did not pump millions into this distribution just to be nice. He's looking for a profit and POS seems like a great market to target.

Larry Kagan

dca
October 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Linux POS systems are nothing new. The Lowes near my house uses a KDE desktop so there is some *nix under there.

Mark Shuttleworth (Ubuntu founder) is a business man. Did you know that he was the founder of Thawte, the ssl certificate company? He did not pump millions into this distribution just to be nice. He's looking for a profit and POS seems like a great market to target.

Larry Kagan

I was just going to say Lowes... They use a hybrid Linux (I think called Genesis, that might be their inventory control app, though) w/ a KDE desktop on IBM NetVista clients...

Also, I think Home Depot. But, they run as a client/server kind of dealie... Old timie, green screen monitor, etc...

dca
October 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
... but then again, that's the whole beauty of not just GNU/Linux, but all open source per se. Linux for POS (point of sales) w/ touchscreen capability, media center Linux', and on and on. It truly is wonderful. Building a Linux distro of your own customized & optimized for the work used or taking something like Ubuntu, scouring sourceforge, installing a PMS (property management system), and then open a hotel...

linuxgeekery
October 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM
A local hotel runs a client-server type thing. I once worked at the hotel (a few months ago). They use XFCE with a client (I don't remember which).