PDA

View Full Version : huh! odd...

fuscia
October 6th, 2006, 02:50 AM
so, i have dapper installed as 'ubuntu'. when i installed the kubuntu-desktop, i ended up with 'kubuntu', when rebooting. does that mean i now have kubuntu and not ubuntu? (being a convert to kde nuthuggery, this could be a good thing.)

andlinux21
October 6th, 2006, 02:53 AM
i had the same thing happen when i didnt sudo apt-get install xubuntu. Now when i reboot i get a nice xubuntu login screen not complaining but it was just weird.

slimdog360
October 6th, 2006, 03:35 AM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

also

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Different_usplash

chickengirl
October 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Same thing happened to me when I installed edubuntu-artwork on my old computer (I thought it would be cute. It wasn't. Bleh.).

ahaslam
October 7th, 2006, 12:07 AM
It's just the artwork, you literaly have both Ubuntu & Kubuntu ;)

If you want the original graphics, you'll need to re-install the upsplash & artwork, but I wouldn't bother.

I bet your Gnome menus are well cluttered now, there's a nice guide somewhere on these forums for seperating kde apps from gtk ;)

Tony.

fuscia
October 7th, 2006, 12:18 AM
It's just the artwork, you literaly have both Ubuntu & Kubuntu ;)

If you want the original graphics, you'll need to re-install the upsplash & artwork, but I wouldn't bother.

I bet your Gnome menus are well cluttered now, there's a nice guide somewhere on these forums for seperating kde apps from gtk ;)

Tony.

woohoo! i'm a man for all seasons! *runs off to install xubuntu.*

ahaslam
October 7th, 2006, 12:23 AM
... but isn't xfce a little psychotic (apart from thunar of course)?

Tony.

maniacmusician
October 7th, 2006, 12:27 AM
nah xfce is pretty nice. It's just lacking some good config utilities right now. I had to configure cups through localhost, so i was kinda miffed about that. But its really fast, really efficient. specially in edgy.

ahaslam
October 7th, 2006, 12:31 AM
It's probably just me & my crappy lappy, but I seem to be able to break xfce ever so easily. Other than that I agree, in fact I prefer it to KDE ;)

Tony.

maniacmusician
October 7th, 2006, 12:35 AM
haha i wouldnt go quite that far with it. I tried it first, and am using kde now, which i like.

xfce does have some quirks though. like the world's most inefficient menu editor, and the things i mentioned above. I think any system is easy to break if you give it enough love :)

fuscia
October 7th, 2006, 12:37 AM
... but isn't xfce a little psychotic?

and...?

and btw, is there anything better than thunar? nope!

djsroknrol
October 7th, 2006, 02:17 AM
It happened to me as well...I just left it as it was...the blue is easier on my eyes...;)

TheWizzard
October 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
so, i have dapper installed as 'ubuntu'. when i installed the kubuntu-desktop, i ended up with 'kubuntu', when rebooting. does that mean i now have kubuntu and not ubuntu? (being a convert to kde nuthuggery, this could be a good thing.)

this is more or less the default approach if you want both gnome and kde. the start menu should allow you to choose between gnome and kde.