PDA

View Full Version : launchpad, what a horrible interface

pelle.k
October 5th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Omg. i've spent over 1 hour figuring how to unsubscribe to a bug in launchpad. Not only is the interface crippled and _very_ unintuitive, it's... well... as someone said - "infuriating!".
I'm not going to report any more bugs until launchpad has got a user friendly layout.
I was acctually giong to remove my user account, but (surprisingly ](*,) ) i couldn't find an option to do so... I did however, manage to usubscribe to the annoying bugreport. (Even though my account says i'm not a subscriber to that bug, _and_ the the bug i filed wich was a duplicate of the bug didn't show up in my won control panel, i accessed my "duplicate bug" and could magikally unsubscribe to the original bug from there...)

ComplexNumber
October 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM
whats launchpad?

John.Michael.Kane
October 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM
ComplexNumber ---> https://launchpad.net/

Lord Illidan
October 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Aye, the interface is confusing...but what can be done about it?

beercz
October 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM
clear as mud!

pelle.k
October 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Maybe we should "file a bug" about it ;) (bad joke of the day)

chaosgeisterchen
October 5th, 2006, 09:15 PM
clear as mud!

Absolutely right.

skymt
October 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Launchpad is perfectly intuitive once you know how to do everything. A switch to a simpler interface would leave behind the power users who have their workflows perfectly fine-tuned for the current interface. New users should just read the HOWTO and a good book on the subject.

(NOTE: This post is a joke. If you don't get it, you have never been in a UI flame war. I completely agree that Launchpad needs to be fixed up.)

asimon
October 6th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I can not see how it can be difficult to unsubscibe from a bug report, the action list on the left contains a 'unsubscibe' link no smaller than the other actions.

Anyway, I am sure the launchpad team would be happy to see interface proposals which increase usability (there is no doubt that there is room for improving usability). So if someone comes up with one, post it to the launchpad mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/launchpad-users) or post a bug report about it.

Sadly, just saying it sucks, doesn't help, at least try to be constructive.

BTW, I would never have wasted 1 hour to unsubscibe from a bug! After 2 minutes of fruitless searching I would have asked at #ubuntu or some other related IRC channel or here in the forum or on some mailing list and would have got a answer much faster. You really should stop waisting your precious time on such stupid issues. I am sure you can use it for better things. ;-)

EDIT: And sorry, I just have to say, that I wonder, if you don't found the 'unsubscibe' link on launchpad, how did you find the 'new thread' link on this forum? For me it's much harder to find.

pelle.k
October 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Sorry, but the behaviour i describe _is_ a bug in launchpad (i read some threads about it), so it can't really be compared with "finding the reply button" in ubuntuforums.

I whine when things are so obviously alien (and sometimes broken) to me as launchpad. I try to have an open mind about things, but in this case it wasn't enough. Sorry. I can't understand, but i can accept that you think launchpad is intuitive enough.
I can give them a suggestion or two - look at ubuntuforums, and try to make something like it.

I am stubborn, and without this (defective/bad?) behaviour of mine, i wouldn't be using linux at all. I try, really try, before i give up. I might be time wasted, i don't know. You be the judge.

asimon
October 7th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Sorry, but the behaviour i describe _is_ a bug in launchpad (i read some threads about it), so it can't really be compared with "finding the reply button" in ubuntuforums.
Well, the unsubscibe link is there in the left blue box (right beside a red minus sign). So it's a matter of finding it.

I whine when things are so obviously alien (and sometimes broken) to me as launchpad.
I try to have an open mind about things, but in this case it wasn't enough. Sorry. I can't understand, but i can accept that you think launchpad is intuitive enough.
For me it probably helped that I worked with several other bug tracking systems in the past (btw, none had an interface I would call fantastic). As I said, there is no doubt that there is much room for improvements. The problem is to come up with really good interfaces. It would be really cool if some interface people would do a review of Malone (and launchpad's other parts) and post it somewhere for the devs.

I can give them a suggestion or two - look at ubuntuforums, and try to make something like it.
I don't think that you could copy the interface of this forum for Malone. They are complete different tools and completely different work flows. Anyway, if you have suggestions on how to improve Malone, post a bug report about it or write to the launchpad mailing list. The launchpad developers are not supposed to read this forum and it's not a good tool to track such issues anyway (but of course can be good to discuss issues before pushing them to the devs).

Have fun!