PDA

View Full Version : Gnuzilla and IceWeasel

plb
October 5th, 2006, 01:28 PM
For those that didn't know......

Gnuzilla is the GNU version of the Mozilla suite, and IceWeasel is the GNU version of the Firefox browser. Its main advantage is an ethical one: it is entirely free software. While the source code from the Mozilla project is free software, the binaries that they release include additional non-free software. Also, they distribute non-free software as plug-ins. (IceWeasel does keep the triple licensing used by Firefox to facilitate the reuse of code.)

IceWeasel also includes some privacy protection features:

1. Some sites refer to zero-size images on other hosts to keep track of cookies. When IceWeasel detects this mechanism it blocks cookies from the site hosting the zero-length image file. (It is possible to re-enable such a site by removing it from the blocked hosts list.)
2. Other sites rewrite the host name in links redirecting the user to another site, mainly to "spy" on clicks. When this behavior is detected, IceWeasel shows a message alerting the user.

To see these new features in action, some test pages are available. Fredrik Hubbe's web site can be used test plugins

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

maniacmusician
October 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
is gnuzilla the same thing as iceweasel...? i coulndt find iceweasel in gnu.org/software

plb
October 5th, 2006, 01:33 PM
is gnuzilla the same thing as iceweasel...? i coulndt find iceweasel in gnu.org/software

Gnuzilla is the mozilla suite e.g. moz mail, browser etc
IceWeasel is firefox with added features as mentioned above.

maniacmusician
October 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
yeah, i get that, but how come people only post links to gnuzilla and not iceweasel as well? and if iceweasel is the gnu version of firefox, shouldnt be in their package list?

empcrono
October 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I am not sure this is correct. I do believe that ice weasel is a Debian variant while ice cat is the official gnuzilla package that is the equivalent of Firefox. I do think there is a difference between ice cat and ice weasel and ice weasel is Debian only.

init1
October 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I am not sure this is correct. I do believe that ice weasel is a Debian variant while ice cat is the official gnuzilla package that is the equivalent of Firefox. I do think there is a difference between ice cat and ice weasel and ice weasel is Debian only.
Icecat is the new name for Iceweasel. Otherwise, it's the same thing.

urukrama
October 27th, 2008, 10:28 PM
This thread is more than two years old!