PDA

View Full Version : online documentation

honeywelljr
April 15th, 2005, 06:39 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed how hard it is sometimes to find what you are looking for on the online documentation.

I had previously found a page talking about restriced formats and how to get them working. I sat down tonight with the intent on getting MP3 support so that I can load my music library. Now, I knew that there is an excellent walkthrough on how to do this. I knew that the walkthru is called restrictedformats. However, when I go to the Ubuntu homepage and click documentation and search by "restrictedformats" nothing is found. I thought, not to fear it is probably in the Wiki. I went to the Wiki and searched "restricted formats". I found it but only be linking through other pages that discussed it, it wasn't found directly. Why is this?

There have been several pages that I will happen across but not have time to go through that I later can't find. Is it just me?

poofyhairguy
April 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed how hard it is sometimes to find what you are looking for on the online documentation.

I had previously found a page talking about restriced formats and how to get them working. I sat down tonight with the intent on getting MP3 support so that I can load my music library. Now, I knew that there is an excellent walkthrough on how to do this. I knew that the walkthru is called restrictedformats. However, when I go to the Ubuntu homepage and click documentation and search by "restrictedformats" nothing is found. I thought, not to fear it is probably in the Wiki. I went to the Wiki and searched "restricted formats". I found it but only be linking through other pages that discussed it, it wasn't found directly. Why is this?

There have been several pages that I will happen across but not have time to go through that I later can't find. Is it just me?

Well.

Make sure you go to the Ubuntu Guide first. Then the wiki. Then search the forums. The forums have the best info, but there is so much noise its hard to filter sometimes.