PDA

View Full Version : Doomed to a niche?

Brunellus
April 15th, 2005, 04:11 AM
According to Infoworld, Linux can't kill windows (http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/04/13/16OPcurve_1.html) because
Businesses and organizations of all sizes need consistent, predictable, scalable, self-contained platforms for server solutions. Windows wins. Linux doesn't lose, because it can continue the legacy of another nonplatform, namely Unix, that needs to be refreshed and extended. (from the article)

Essentially, the author argues that Windows will continue to dominate, because...um....Windows dominates. *Shrug*

Stormy Eyes
April 15th, 2005, 04:15 AM
So what? Half these op-ed pieces about Linux in business are bullcrap. Let them say what they like.

poofyhairguy
April 15th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Time will tell, not editorialists.

23meg
April 15th, 2005, 04:20 AM
think of these for adjectives,

consistent, predictable, scalable, self-contained

and then think of windows. and then smile --> :) .

escuchamezz
April 15th, 2005, 04:21 AM
f

Brunellus
April 15th, 2005, 04:43 AM
rereading the article, I think what the author means is that presently, Windows has a huge array of applications and tools that normal users might want, which all operate in Windows. (isn't that a tautological statment?) while Linux requires you to build new things.

If I understand correctly, then the distinction the author draws between a platform and an OS is simply a matter of time and maturity. If enough developers adopt the OS, then soon you have a real platform--with all those goodies the author seemed to be talking about.

At the moment, I"d say Linux wins for most casual users; openoffice is 'good enough.' as is firefox and evolution. (gotta show some love to kmail, too. ). In this respect, I'm kind of hopeful that we'll start seeing ever more LInux computers as 'public' computers--in public libraries and so on.

Stormy Eyes
April 15th, 2005, 04:43 AM
With billions in revenue and monopoly power, Microsoft will dominate for some time still, despite the optimisms of most here.

Let them "dominate". As long as I can use Linux at home and do everything I want to do, I have no reason to care what the no-talent assclown Gates does.

kahping
April 15th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Let them "dominate". As long as I can use Linux at home and do everything I want to do, I have no reason to care what the no-talent assclown Gates does.

well said.

for all of Windows' "dominance", it's not dominating my PC at all :-P

kahping

HungSquirrel
April 15th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Essentially, the author argues that Windows will continue to dominate, because...um....Windows dominates.
Actually, he's saying that Linux can never be a 'platform' the way Windows is a platform simply because there is so much choice in the world of Linux. Think about how much variation there is from distro to distro and you'll understand what he's talking about.

KiwiNZ
April 15th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Time will tell, not editorialists.

Yep

I can remember when they reported that every home would not need or want a PC.

The Internet will be a passing phase .

And no-one would ever want a Windows type gui.