PDA

View Full Version : This seems to be the most active forum, so I'll try here...

drwoland
April 15th, 2005, 02:23 AM
I booted off the Hoary CD... it booted up and started a live session with NO input from me at any point... I'd like to install Ubuntu, not use a live session... where am I going wrong? I see no option in this live environment to install it and none of the stuff the docs say is supposed to happen ever happened...

Stormy Eyes
April 15th, 2005, 02:24 AM
I booted off the Hoary CD... it booted up and started a live session with NO input from me at any point... I'd like to install Ubuntu, not use a live session... where am I going wrong? I see no option in this live environment to install it and none of the stuff the docs say is supposed to happen ever happened...

Are you sure you didn't use the LiveCD instead of the install CD?

TravisNewman
April 15th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Yes, you downloaded the wrong CD. Trust me, been there, done that, and it sucks if you don't have high speed. I accidentaly downloaded a SPARC build of one OS at one time and couldn't figure out for the life of my why it wouldn't work *L*

drwoland
April 15th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Are you sure you didn't use the LiveCD instead of the install CD?

... Are they not the same thing? Sorry, I'm a gentoo user (isn't it pathetic that I can figure out Gentoo and not Ubuntu?) and a livecd to me means an installcd....

Mike Douglas
April 15th, 2005, 02:36 AM
... Are they not the same thing? Sorry, I'm a gentoo user (isn't it pathetic that I can figure out Gentoo and not Ubuntu?) and a livecd to me means an installcd....
http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.04/ubuntu-5.04-install-i386.iso

TravisNewman
April 15th, 2005, 02:38 AM
nope. Gentoo requires a live environment to install from. That's why it's called a livecd for gentoo

Other places, a LiveCD is a cd to boot from and try out the distro before installing it. SOME have the ability to install from the live cd, but most don't.

XDevHald
April 15th, 2005, 02:44 AM
And when you download the 386, update your kernel, and image to i686 but keep the 386 because it's the image boot *duh*. Well anywho, when you get all setup to your style of a desktop, and get breezy!

Stormy Eyes
April 15th, 2005, 02:52 AM

I'm ex-Gentoo as well; I didn't want my wife to think I was paying more attention to the damned computer than I was to her. :) A LiveCD is any CD from which you can boot a working OS; that's why Knoppix is also called a LiveCD.

jerome bettis
April 15th, 2005, 02:53 AM
nope. Gentoo requires a live environment to install from. That's why it's called a livecd for gentoo

Other places, a LiveCD is a cd to boot from and try out the distro before installing it. SOME have the ability to install from the live cd, but most don't.
it would be a great feature for the ubuntu live cd, like the mepis cd has. i'm not sure if it's possible, but i think it would be pretty sweet.

poofyhairguy
April 15th, 2005, 02:53 AM
The names of the CDs are confusing. I downloaded a "release" Ubuntu ISO once only to find that it was for presetations or some crap like that.

It not an insult...