PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu Special? Freespire want's to know....

OmShiva
October 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
I was reading an artical in today's India Times about Ubuntu and Mark and noticed an amusing google ad from Freespire which read as follow.

"Is Ubuntu Special?"
15 things that might be missing from your desktop Linux system.
freespire.org

I've also attached a screenshot with the ad circled on the right. I figured someone on the forums would find this interesting. :rolleyes:

izalac
October 4th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I saw that one a couple of days ago :)
I clicked on it for the fun of it. It links to this page:

http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/What_Makes_Freespire_Special%3F

Ubuntu ain't mentioned on that page at all, it's full Freespire promotional feature list.

I think it's a bit sad when a Linux distro company tries to snatch users from another distro in this way...

OmShiva
October 4th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I think it's a bit sad when a Linux distro company tries to snatch users from another distro in this way...

I agree which is why I posted this...choice is great, but Linspire seems to me to be the Evil Capitalist of Linux...I was impressed when they first came out and decided to battle Microsoft in the courts worldwide, but that has stopped and their product is noticeably lacking in comparison to other distros. My guess is they realized it was to expensive to keep fighting Microsoft in court so they changed their attacks to Ubuntu.

I just saw the same ad again while on the Kubuntu forums....lol...

izalac
October 4th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Gotta love the way Google's ads are non-discriminative :(
Don't know how evil and capitalistic Linspire are (they have a long way to match Micro$oft), but I noticed they have quite aggressive campaigns. I remember running into some link a few days ago on these forums... An example on how NOT to advocate Linux. Basically, it was quite bombastic and trying to convince readers of Linspire's superiority over Windows in every way.

Probably a reason why I'll never try their distro. Don't like their attitude.