PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it...Ubuntu does "just work"

m.musashi
October 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
I've been bumming around the forum again lately (after a bit of an absence) and I stumbled across Aisu's post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1276564) on all the complainers. I followed a few links and I have to say that I don't get where they are coming from.

For the record, I installed Breezy back in December '05 and I had my share of troubles, but I was installing on a custom built computer and I didn't do my homework. I was also constantly playing around (that's how I learn) and breaking it. I got it to work and have been using it ever since (but Dapper now).

However, I also installed Breezy on a Dell laptop that my wife and kids use (they are 6 and 10). I did a dual boot so they could still play their Living Books games and such. My wife has used Windows since 95 but she isn't a power user and my kids certainly aren't power users either. In any case, they have been using Ubuntu almost exclusively (actually 100% for my wife, 95% for the kids as the Linux games are just as fun for them). It works on our wireless network, my wife can view the flash animations that bored workes always send via email, write and open documents, and all the myriad other tasks they use the computer for. And here is the kicker... I have never once done any maintenance on it except to upgrade it to Dapper. In fact, it's the most reliable computer I use. Even my work computer has more problems and it's supported by an IT department.

So please explain how Ubuntu doesn't work. It may not work for YOUR needs, but that isn't the same. I still use Windows for Studio 8 and Picasa (yes I know there is a Linux port but it uses wine and I don't want wine). But that doesn't mean Ubuntu doesn't work. It doesn't meet 100% of my needs and it won't meet 100% of everyones needs but is does meet 90% of my needs, 100% of my Wife's and 100% of a lot of other people's needs too.

Well, that's my little rant for the day. If Ubuntu works for you too then please share your thoughts. If not...happy trails.

Oh, one side note. We have a Linux thin client up and running in our HS and the students use it without any problems even though most have never touched Linux. It's Suse but it's Linux. It was very economical since we used old, discarded computers and, get this, it "just works".

rfruth
October 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Ubuntu works for me :)

Josh1
October 3rd, 2006, 06:57 PM
Ubuntu has ran fine for me, I just don't know how to doa few things still but i'm learning every day ;).
And doesn't google have a native linux application for picassa and google earth?
- Josh

p.s: I must admit dapper was more out-of-the-box then breezy IMHO.
P.s: I also use edgy now.. damn I like the speed upgrades (Though I would stik with dapper if it worked for you, if its not broken, dont fix it! ;)).

m.musashi
October 3rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
I used Dapper before it was released, but I was into playing around. Now I'm more content. I'll upgrade to Edgy when it is relased later this month.

Google did release Google Earth for Linux (at least I think it's a Linux port) but my understanding is that Picasa uses wine to run in Linux and isn't a true port. If I'm wrong, please set me straight.

skymt
October 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Google did release Google Earth for Linux (at least I think it's a Linux port) but my understanding is that Picasa uses wine to run in Linux and isn't a true port. If I'm wrong, please set me straight.

You're right.

Oh, and on topic: Ubuntu has Just Worked for me ever since Dapper. :mrgreen:

rfruth
October 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
_

aysiu
October 3rd, 2006, 07:19 PM
The problem is really that people's experiences vary and that people don't have an agreed upon definition for the phrase just works. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=137729)

For many, it works fine. For others, it doesn't.

johanvandermeer
October 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
I use Ubuntu on a Desktop system... and it works. I listen to music, surf the internet (email), download stuff, watch video's, and work with ooffice.

In addition, my desktop is a server for both webpages and general-purpose backup.

I do miss winamp however. Furthermore, opening Word (.doc) and Powerpoint (.ppt) files is sometimes difficult. MSN version 10.x with all the neat buttons looks cooler than Gaim.

At times the programs require a bit of google-work to 'work'. I think this is mostly a porting issue (Linux just isn't used that much). I don't *really* agree with the statement 'Just Works', but more with 'Works, if you put a little effort into it'.

But anyway...

Cheers,
Johan

People abhor any kind of change and are just fine with the status quo. They neither have the inclination nor the time to learn anything new. I think for Linux to become more popular, people should be able to install and use it with (almost) no homework, or any kind of effort, at all.

m.musashi
October 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
For many, it works fine. For others, it doesn't.
That's kind of what I was saying. It works for me, my wife and kids and good many others. However, doesn't work isn't the same as doesn't meet needs. Windows doesn't meet many of my needs because I need cheap (or free) software but that doesn't mean that Windows doesn't work.

My point, if I had one, was that many people in the threads you linked seemed to be complaining about it not working when what they really meant was it didn't meet their needs. I was just trying to put out some positive vibes and say it works fine.

aysiu
October 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Positive vibes are cool.

Since we can't define what "just works" means in a universally agreeable way, then people will say Ubuntu doesn't "just work" for a variety of reasons.

m.musashi
October 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
Positive vibes are cool.

Since we can't define what "just works" means in a universally agreeable way, then people will say Ubuntu doesn't "just work" for a variety of reasons.

I see your point and subjective terms are just that. However, Ubuntu does work. I installed it and then we all used it - no hassles. I did use automatix too but that just helped it meet my needs.

aysiu
October 3rd, 2006, 08:06 PM
Ubuntu "just worked" for me (meaning that I installed it and it recognized almost all my hardware--adjusting the screen resolution was a simple fix), too.

I'm just saying experiences and expectations vary.

Someone else could have had bad luck--no wireless, no sound, hard freezes, bad screen resolution...

henriquemaia
October 3rd, 2006, 08:08 PM
[...]
For the record, I installed Breezy back in December '05 and I had my share of troubles, but I was installing on a custom built computer and I didn't do my homework. [...]

I particularly like this part. My 2nd computer was built with Linux in mind (the first one wasn't) and it runs like a dream. Installation, upgrades, hardware, whatever bugs the ranters the most, here equals to no worries. Having a computer assembled with Linux in mind makes a BIG difference.

Ps: I was even lucky when I bought my monitor. It has the capability of being rotated and even that Linux does well.

PatrickMay16
October 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
I've been bumming around the forum again lately (after a bit of an absence) and I stumbled across Aisu's post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1276564) on all the complainers. I followed a few links and I have to say that I don't get where they are coming from.

I do. I have tried ubuntu on several different computers, and while some work great with it, others don't.

DarkOx
October 3rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
When I first started with Ubuntu, nearly everything worked. We'd gotten some used computers for Christmas, but since we'd gotten them from Dad's company they didn't come with Windows. Linux was the obvious choice, and everyone was saying good things about Ubuntu. However, I can safely say that if I hadn't been looking at it as a hobby and a learning experience, I probably wouldn't be using Ubuntu right now.

Firstly, there was getting Ubuntu installed. I didn't know what a partition was. What was the difference between ex3 and reiserfs? Should I care? What's "swap" or "root"?

Once installed, almost everything worked... but hey, my mp3's didn't play. Wireless internet didn't work. Once I figured out ndiswrapper, there was getting WPA working (I'm still not sure how I did it, in those pre-network manager days. All I can remember is it took a full weekend). My sister loves flash games on the web, but for some reason the plug-in wouldn't automatically install the same way it did in windows.

That's what I believe most people mean when they say "Ubuntu doesn't just work": that you can't just click a button and everything starts to do what you want it to do.

Having said that, it's crazy how much Ubuntu has improved since I started tinkering with it back around February. Getting WPA access was a painstaking process, and now network manager does it automatically. Installing Ubuntu is now so much easier than it was. I even read that Edgy is going to tell you about installing the proper codecs if you don't have them when trying to play an mp3 file.

Kayne
October 3rd, 2006, 09:43 PM
In terms of "Ubuntu just works" it's also right for me. I also installed it on the 5-year old laptop of my dad and it pleases him, since every now and then he was experiencing annoying windows problems. After a certain incubation time, I wiped out his windows partition.

Only problem for me is, it doesn't have the applications I use on a daily basis or lacking hardware support (for example, my scanner but this is Canon's fault)

beercz
October 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
I used Dapper before it was released, but I was into playing around. Now I'm more content. I'll upgrade to Edgy when it is relased later this month.
Same here. Dapper works well for me on my hp laptop (apart from a niggling power management issue). As I do not need to play around and experiment so much, I am waiting until Edgy is released officially then I'll upgrade. I am happy with dapper for mow.

m.musashi
October 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Yes, power management seems not entirely right. However, the laptop my wife and kids use is basically their desktop - it's usually just plugged in.

m.musashi
October 3rd, 2006, 10:05 PM
I do. I have tried ubuntu on several different computers, and while some work great with it, others don't.

But that's true with any OS. Windows only works because the hardware vendor installs all the drivers. If you don't have the right drivers a lot won't work. I couldn't get sound or networking to work on my custom build in Windows until I installed the drivers from the mobo vendor and of course they only gave me Windows drivers. With Dapper, both sound and networking worked at install and I didn't have to install any drivers.

izalac
October 4th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I installed Ubuntu. Carefully. And it just worked. I updated the system. Still worked. Opened up Synaptic and installed 2 Gb of additional packets. Still worked, with the same performance as during first boot.
I was amazed, and still am :)