PDA

View Full Version : Choice of "Smart" Mobile phone to suit Ubuntu

jethro10
October 3rd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for a smartphone (pda/phone) to suit ubuntu, ie. it has to sync or transfer info to the PC at least for safety of a backup.

On windows I used a Palm Treo 600 currently.

The problem is that I want to develop for the phone with only my linux Pc, not a windows one. On windows I use several but noticably a RAD tool called C.A.S.L. which had a windows IDE and Palm emulator and when working ok, I could sync and copy across new version of the program etc. It also had a conduit to sync the datafiles of the program to a CSV file on the PC. Keeping this data 'open' for me.

My problem therefore on linux is this.
1/ Sync to linux at least for backing up purposes.
2/ Probably impossible to get a data conduit for any language or pgrogram, so perhaps the data structure is open, so I can extract from the sync'ed files if the Phone blows up. ie. no locked in data. Possibly transfer vai the Phones SD/memory card would be ok.
3/ Preferably a language I can develop on the PC, must be a RAD language 'cos the wife likes to learn. Definatley no C C++ C# etc. Perhaps Python? Perl? Phone only development is a compromise worth accepting if the data is extractable/transferable on linux.
3/ Phone infrastructure can probably only be Symbian, Palm (preferably not), Windows mobile, or a long shot - blackberry. Hi endish phone, keyboard, touch screen preferably, camera etc.

Is there even a possibility of this? with windows PC it was an easy problem.

thanks
Jeff

tribaal
October 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
I second your question, as I just (well a few hours ago) broke my qtec... I'm in need for a new smartphone, and I'd like it to work as well as possible with Ubuntu... :)

- trib'

scotty32
October 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
am not sure about Windows Mobile, as ive got a windows pda.

am having a hard time getting it to sync, there are tutorials but they never seem to work, but it seems to work for others, and am not sure about Windows Mobile 5 (which i imagine it would have if you got one now)

it is possible - just not for me, so it seems

ive never used one but i would of *thought* Palm would be best bet, as theres tools for it in ubuntu, and Evolution has a Sync button for Palms

bigken
October 3rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
well i did have a motorola v3 razor that worked well with bluetooth
but on saturday my wife decided to wash it ](*,)

tribaal
October 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
but on saturday my wife decided to wash it

Ouch I feel sorry for you... :(

So Motorola V3 worked well with bluetooth? What bluetooth tools dod you use (I'm using GNOME)?
Did you try installing / deleting applications too?

- trib'

bigken
October 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
take a look here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=94713) ;)

ComplexNumber
October 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
3/ Phone infrastructure can probably only be Symbian, Palm (preferably not), Windows mobile, or a long shot - blackberry. Hi endish phone, keyboard, touch screen preferably, camera etc.i wouldn't bother with windows mobile 5 if i were you. its grossly inefficient. symbian was made for mobiles, and although it has its fair share of problems, they are dwarfed when compared to the problems that WM has. for example, WM is extrememy slow, unreliable, and perfoms less well than a symbian phone having just over half the processor speed. just read all the reviews to find out for yourself.
there are plenty of linux smartphones too. in fact, linux has more than 6 times the smartphone market share that WM has (linux = 26%, WM = 4%). sadly, they are relatively scarce in the UK.
i've heard that nokia is planning to release a line of linux smartphones soonish.

jethro10
October 3rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
i wouldn't bother with windows mobile 5 if i were you. its grossly inefficient. symbian was made for mobiles, and although it has its fair share of problems, they are dwarfed when compared to the problems that WM has. for example, WM is extrememy slow, unreliable, and perfoms less well than a symbian phone having just over half the processor speed. just read all the reviews to find out for yourself.
there are plenty of linux smartphones too. in fact, linux has more than 6 times the smartphone market share that WM has (linux = 26%, WM = 4%). sadly, they are relatively scarce in the UK.
i've heard that nokia is planning to release a line of linux smartphones soonish.

I too would prefer non-windows for that reason. However if thats the compromise i will have to make, then so be it.

Linux smartphone. Is there going to be any advantage to this? is it going to mount, sync, run generic linux software?

By now it looks like there is no sensible options to the programming side. :( ....anyone?

J

Dark X Dragon
October 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
I actually just read up the Linux tablets stumbled on this topic.

The new Nokia Linux tablets, they actually have NO phone features at all. The closest they have is wi-fi access and probably skype.
It looks awesome as a PDA style thing but it isn't a phone. =P

ComplexNumber
October 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
I actually just read up the Linux tablets stumbled on this topic.

The new Nokia Linux tablets, they actually have NO phone features at all. The closest they have is wi-fi access and probably skype.
It looks awesome as a PDA style thing but it isn't a phone. =P
you must be referring to nokia 770. thats correct, they have no phone features. they are more something to be carried around the house then to have any use having phone features.
however, nokia is planning to release some linux smartphones soonish.

jethro10
October 4th, 2006, 10:11 AM
you must be referring to nokia 770. thats correct, they have no phone features. they are more something to be carried around the house then to have any use having phone features.
however, nokia is planning to release some linux smartphones soonish.

Unfortunatley soonish will end up being ages, then we will have to wait for "Version 2" to be a bug fix. And then will a linux app run on different brands or is each one a lock in.

Funny I thought this would be an easy answer.....

J