PDA

View Full Version : (beta test) new forum search

ubuntu-geek
October 3rd, 2006, 03:08 AM
Hello all..

As we work to improve the forums we have possibly found a solution to our slow searches. Using the new search we shaved about 9-10 seconds off searches as well as loads off our database server.

The search on the forums main page is using the new search code. You will now be able to do better refined searches such as..

"match all", "match phrase" and "match any"

You will notice new threads will be delayed about 20 minutes in the new search. This is because we run a cron job to rebuild the index of new posts.

Tomosaur
October 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
I really dislike the new search. The thread titles seem to always be in bold, no matter whether they've been posted in (since your last visit) or not. Is this intentional, or a bug? I'm undecided as to whether the last post preview is a good idea or not, but I prefer the old style of bold text to indicate new posts.

ubuntu-geek
October 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
I really dislike the new search. The thread titles seem to always be in bold, no matter whether they've been posted in (since your last visit) or not. Is this intentional, or a bug? I'm undecided as to whether the last post preview is a good idea or not, but I prefer the old style of bold text to indicate new posts.
I think I know what you mean. The search was displaying "post" views instead of the normal (default) thread view on the search result page. This is now fixed.

dolphinsonar
October 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Do you discourage the use of this search engine firefox plugin (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=ubuntu&sherlock=yes&opensearch=&submitform=Search):

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/images/apple.png http://mycroft.mozdev.org/images/ok.png http://mycroft.mozdev.org/install.php/7130/ubuntuforums.png Ubuntu Forums http://mycroft.mozdev.org/images/semi.png http://mycroft.mozdev.org/images/flags/WW.png (ubuntuforums.org)

Its pretty handy, I use it all the time, I hope it doesn't hurt the server load...

mips
October 5th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Does this mean the Search Forums *OLD METHOD* is eventually going to fall away ? I hope not.

ubuntu-geek
October 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Does this mean the Search Forums *OLD METHOD* is eventually going to fall away ? I hope not.
Yeah, 95% sure it will. It is just to taxing on the servers right now. I should note the new search doesn't have all the features added yet.

mips
October 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah, 95% sure it will. It is just to taxing on the servers right now. I should note the new search doesn't have all the features added yet.

Ok. So does this mean we will have a search by userid field etc. I use the userid field a lot.

ubuntu-geek
October 5th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Ok. So does this mean we will have a search by userid field etc. I use the userid field a lot.
Yes you will be able to search by userid :)

ubuntu-geek
October 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
The new search has been implemented. You can now search using "match all", "match phrase" and "match any" just like with search engines.

Zyzzyx
October 6th, 2006, 04:36 PM
A'right, so we're up and going.

But its back to the default of listing posts as the result, not threads. And I'm not seeing anywhere to change it.

kleeman
October 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM
When I search for posts by my username I only recover threads which I started not threads that I have replied to (I selected posts not threads). This is quite annoying as it is my main method for keeping track of other people's responses to my posts. I used the old search all the time so this change has seriously compromised my ability to efficiently use the site...

I am assuming this is a bug.

GStubbs43
October 6th, 2006, 09:14 PM
You can just click the quick search and select "Find all Your Posts" ;)

kleeman
October 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Yeah that works although it does not show who and when last responded in the thread which is useful. I still think the problem I mentioned above is a bug. Why specify that your posts are being searched for and then only show threads you started....

ubuntu-geek
October 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
There are a few bugs.. :)

mips
October 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
There are a few bugs.. :)

Would the following be one of them ?

If I enter my userid into User Name field and change/select nothing else I only see posts from a week back and nothing newer ?

The previous search would return a list of ALL my posts on a per thread basis up to the very minute.

This is just an example, usually I also use the Key Word(s) feature in conjunction with the above.

Kateikyoushi
October 7th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Do you discourage the use of this search engine firefox plugin (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=ubuntu&sherlock=yes&opensearch=&submitform=Search):

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/images/apple.png http://mycroft.mozdev.org/images/ok.png http://mycroft.mozdev.org/install.php/7130/ubuntuforums.png Ubuntu Forums http://mycroft.mozdev.org/images/semi.png http://mycroft.mozdev.org/images/flags/WW.png (ubuntuforums.org)

Its pretty handy, I use it all the time, I hope it doesn't hurt the server load...

I didn't know about this, is a new one (which is compatible with the new search engine) in the making ?

ubuntu-geek
October 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Would the following be one of them ?

If I enter my userid into User Name field and change/select nothing else I only see posts from a week back and nothing newer ?

The previous search would return a list of ALL my posts on a per thread basis up to the very minute.

This is just an example, usually I also use the Key Word(s) feature in conjunction with the above.
Yeah good find.. thanks for pointing that out.

LKRaider
October 8th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I used to do this search to keep track of all threads I ever posted in, and it showed them in thread view mode:
http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=process&showposts=0&starteronly=0&exactname=1&searchuser=LKRaider

Now that search doesn't work anymore as it did. I can't keep track of wether the threads were updated or not :(

amorangi
October 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
A lot of results are missing - searches that used to return 20+ results now return about 3. It's made this forum, which used to be an excellent resource, a very mediocre one.

Sef
October 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM
A lot of results are missing - searches that used to return 20+ results now return about 3. It's made this forum, which used to be an excellent resource, a very mediocre one.

The new search is a beta, so bugs are to be expected. In time the bugs will be worked out and you will be able to search like before.

mips
October 8th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Be patient, they are fixing things. For a free forum you seem a bit ungratefull.

amorangi
October 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I'm not being ungrateful, I don't know where you get that from, I'm providing feedback.

There seems to be a real problem with a lot of ad hominem attacks for providing negative feedback throughout this forum. 1 negative feedback is worth 10 positive feedbacks, or else how will things ever improve? Accepting critisism is a mark of maturity and wisdom.

ubuntu-geek
October 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Amorgani thanks for pointing this out. The new search uses boolean search methods unlike the old way, so yeah in a sense searching is going to be a little different. However, more accurate.

There are still some kinds we are working out, the trade off is worth the amout of server resources we are saving right now in preperation for the Eft release.

bluenova
October 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Is it just me, or are others finding it really hard to find relevent posts now? I used to get really good results, now I'm finding it hard to get anything.

Any tips? For instance how do I find out about converting mpg to vob? I don't think I can search with the terms mpg or vob any more, perhaps they are too short.

For now I'm having to use google
site:ubuntuforums.org searchterm

picpak
October 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Agreed. I searched "usplash" and got no results!

ubuntu-geek
October 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Agreed. I searched "usplash" and got no results!
because I turned the search off real quick.. :) to fix a few things..

ubuntu-geek
October 9th, 2006, 07:37 PM
You can now search for three letter keywords.. Also the new search engine uses full text.

McQuaid
October 10th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Here's another vote for the old method. I know it can be tough to change users ways, and I'm not being ungrateful either, and yes it's great you've taken a load of the servers. But it seems right now at the cost of the search. This is one of the biggest assets ubuntu has, and now it has been a source of frustration.

I could list my dislikes but in the end I'd be just listing off the features of the old search to be reincorporated. I guess a big thing is the actual results are not visually digestable. I don't want to see bits of each post and see threads, I liked just seeing the title post and who posted last and when, # of replies etc. Yes, pretty much all that info is there and more, it just feels some what jarring trying to filter out what's not relevant and focusing in on the posts believed to be by the user as what he/she is looking for.

It was perfect, I could always find relevant searches and it was never a source of frustration. When these things are already in motion I doubt you'd be going back but I felt I had to through my 2 cents in as well.

Yes it's a definite benefit that it's saving the servers, but if you did a poll and found the majority of users don't like the new search, would that sway you?

Again, I'm sure a lot of work is being done, and I understand it's not the greatest feeling when one works hard on something and one feels that it's not appreciated. But maybe another way of tackling this would be to look at other database optimizations while maintaining the same face for the search.

bluenova
October 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for adding 3 letter search ubuntu-geek.

The speed of the site has certainly got better, I guess there are just a few things to work out to get the search working well.

ubuntu-geek
October 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Here's another vote for the old method. I know it can be tough to change users ways, and I'm not being ungrateful either, and yes it's great you've taken a load of the servers. But it seems right now at the cost of the search. This is one of the biggest assets ubuntu has, and now it has been a source of frustration.

I could list my dislikes but in the end I'd be just listing off the features of the old search to be reincorporated. I guess a big thing is the actual results are not visually digestable. I don't want to see bits of each post and see threads, I liked just seeing the title post and who posted last and when, # of replies etc. Yes, pretty much all that info is there and more, it just feels some what jarring trying to filter out what's not relevant and focusing in on the posts believed to be by the user as what he/she is looking for.

It was perfect, I could always find relevant searches and it was never a source of frustration. When these things are already in motion I doubt you'd be going back but I felt I had to through my 2 cents in as well.

Yes it's a definite benefit that it's saving the servers, but if you did a poll and found the majority of users don't like the new search, would that sway you?

Again, I'm sure a lot of work is being done, and I understand it's not the greatest feeling when one works hard on something and one feels that it's not appreciated. But maybe another way of tackling this would be to look at other database optimizations while maintaining the same face for the search.
The old search method wont be coming back unless a miracle happens and we somehow receive another server for forum searching.

McQuaid
October 11th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Yes, I think I pretty much said that I know once these things are in motion, they're not going back to the old way. But I just did a search and the results were displayed the old way!! This was my biggest gripe and can definitely with it.

mips
October 12th, 2006, 11:22 AM
ubuntu-geek,

Would it not be a better option to have the Key Word(s) field default to 'Search Entire Post' instead of 'Search Titles Only'

You don't find much with a titles search and it's a bit annoying having to click the dropdown everytime in order to change the default.

ubuntu-geek
October 12th, 2006, 03:30 PM
ubuntu-geek,

Would it not be a better option to have the Key Word(s) field default to 'Search Entire Post' instead of 'Search Titles Only'

You don't find much with a titles search and it's a bit annoying having to click the dropdown everytime in order to change the default.
If you search via the normal search page it will default to use the entire post. However, I'll have to check the search on the upper right corner and on the frontpage those might only search titles.

mips
October 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM
If you search via the normal search page it will default to use the entire post. However, I'll have to check the search on the upper right corner and on the frontpage those might only search titles.

I think I'm loosing my mind. I could have sworn the search page was set to Subject Title as I had to manually change it. Thanks though.

hopstah
November 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
i agree that having the quick search boxes default to searching the entire post as opposed to just the thread title would be great. searching the thread titles only is much less useful than the entire post, since so many posts are titled with "help!" and other worthless strings.