View Full Version : Flash Player 9 beta coming soon

saracen
October 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM
From the adobe guy who's developing it:

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/09/librarian.html

PriceChild
October 1st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Great news :)

looking forward to yet another fix for people taking the mick out of my linux box not doing everything they would want it for.

Rhapsody
October 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM
I have a general policy against using beta, release candidate, or pre-release versions of software (the only exception I know of on this PC being Wine) for the sake of my sanity, but I'm definitely going to be using a Flash Player 9 beta when it's out. Flash Player 7 on Linux is really that bad.

Edit: I just realized that Google Earth is also beta on this system, but that's in exactly the same situation that Flash Player 9 is going to be.

EdThaSlayer
October 1st, 2006, 08:46 PM
I have a general policy against using beta, release candidate, or pre-release versions of software (the only exception I know of on this PC being Wine) for the sake of my sanity, but I'm definitely going to be using a Flash Player 9 beta when it's out. Flash Player 7 on Linux is really that bad.

Edit: I just realized that Google Earth is also beta on this system, but that's in exactly the same situation that Flash Player 9 is going to be.
Iam also going to try out this flash player 9 beta...
i feel like helping now...especially after having been with flash7 for a loooooooooooooooooong time...and some sites not working properly...
soon i will be able to view streamed videos without worries!!

Josh1
October 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
Yay! :D. Finally ;)

vayu
October 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
I'm definitely going to be using a Flash Player 9 beta when it's out. Flash Player 7 on Linux is really that bad.

What in particular do you find lacking?

richbarna
October 1st, 2006, 09:21 PM
You can trick websites into thinking you already have it for the moment. (doesn't work with Yahoo video)
http://modfree.2.forumer.com/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=95&st=0#entry980

Lord Illidan
October 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM
grreat!! hope it works for opera, konq, and all the other browsers, well as ff.

DoctorMO
October 1st, 2006, 09:26 PM
My main problem is that without the source code behind this plugin it may be unstable. it's also unavailable to PPC and 64bit users.

I just wish we had a GPL version that could be shipped with Ubuntu.

ago
October 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM
Just yesterday there was someone complaining about the fact that Flash8 was missing on Linux... :D

christhemonkey
October 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM
As i (have to) use windows on the internet, this really doesnt affect me too much.
But as an (albeit) offline ubuntu user, this is great!

Lord Illidan
October 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
My main problem is that without the source code behind this plugin it may be unstable. it's also unavailable to PPC and 64bit users.

I just wish we had a GPL version that could be shipped with Ubuntu.

Well..nothing to do about that I guess.. About 64 bit, wouldn't running in a chroot jail help?

I don't think Adobe will ever release the source to flash. Too risky for them.

Rhapsody
October 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
What in particular do you find lacking?

Sound desyncs immediately and gets worse with time, bugs appear in some Flash games that weren't there under Flash 9 for Windows, and the fact that it's Flash 7 (some sites just won't play ball without a later version).

[h2o]
October 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
My main problem is that without the source code behind this plugin it may be unstable. it's also unavailable to PPC and 64bit users.Why would it be more stable if you had the source? And where does it say it will be unavailable for PPC and 64-bit?

I just wish we had a GPL version that could be shipped with Ubuntu. Of course it would be nice, but I think we should be quite thankful that Adobe is actually releasing a Linux version at all. I don't care if I have to install it separately, since Windows users must do that as well.

If you want to bash Adobe for something, then we should be on their asses for not releasing the e-book module for Acrobat Reader, which makes it impossible to get e-books from a lot of public libraries using Linux.

DoctorMO
October 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Lord Illidan, I sometimes wonder if they are developing a Linux version of the play to stop a GPL version from being built. think about it if there was no flash player at all how long it would be before a gpl version apeared.

and that would put a spanner in the works since gpl code tends to find it's self all over the place, in new flash editors, new windows and mac plugins ect ect. which would damage the control over the format.

I recon the whole reason it's been allowed by the top brass is for this political reason.

Now all we'll get is a player and we'll never get an editor and other conversion tools.

gabbman
October 1st, 2006, 09:37 PM
You can trick websites into thinking you already have it for the moment. (doesn't work with Yahoo video)
http://modfree.2.forumer.com/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=95&st=0#entry980
This does not work on dapper. I found that on a kde desktop firefox will only play the sound, yet konqueror will play perfectly using this method.

Anyone that has kde set up on drake with gnome may want to see if konqueror will solve the issue.

[h2o]
October 1st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Lord Illidan, I sometimes wonder if they are developing a Linux version of the play to stop a GPL version from being built. think about it if there was no flash player at all how long it would be before a gpl version apeared.Actually, I thought there was already a free flash alternative. Although it is not very good.

and that would put a spanner in the works since gpl code tends to find it's self all over the place, in new flash editors, new windows and mac plugins ect ect. which would damage the control over the format. If the GPL code runs Flash just as well as the proprietary player, then yes. But problem is that it is a closed format, or else there would already be a player for Linux.[/QUOTE]

Josh1
October 1st, 2006, 09:38 PM
Lord Illidan, I sometimes wonder if they are developing a Linux version of the play to stop a GPL version from being built. think about it if there was no flash player at all how long it would be before a gpl version apeared.

and that would put a spanner in the works since gpl code tends to find it's self all over the place, in new flash editors, new windows and mac plugins ect ect. which would damage the control over the format.

I recon the whole reason it's been allowed by the top brass is for this political reason.

Now all we'll get is a player and we'll never get an editor and other conversion tools.

Flash8 works under ubuntu (well with WINE), so theres your editor. ;)

DoctorMO
October 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM
Flash8 works under ubuntu (well with WINE), so theres your editor. :-/ right

richbarna
October 1st, 2006, 09:53 PM
This does not work on dapper.

It did for me, and now on Debian etch.

Dinerty
October 1st, 2006, 10:28 PM
This must be a dream, surely not.

Won't have to worry if sites only supports version 9. Be very intresting with this.

saracen
October 1st, 2006, 10:35 PM
The Free Software version is called Gnash (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/) although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. It's also only designed to support up to flash version 7 so it doesn't really solve the problem of getting version 8 or 9 support.

zenwhen
October 2nd, 2006, 03:28 AM
I am very much looking forward to installing this.

Polygon
October 2nd, 2006, 03:52 AM
the only real problem i have with 7 is that i cant view half the sites with flash and the sound does not sync. i have a fix that makes the sound sync some but its still a second off

i shall rejoice when linux finally gets 9, and rejoice even more once they start to release mac/windows/linux versions together.

Zyzzyx
October 2nd, 2006, 05:28 AM
Ah, this will be nice. I use flash mostly when listening to Pandora, and I've had issues with the sound just not being there. And sometimes it'll download the data, but not play the song. Would be nice too if it wasn't so CPU hungry, don't think it was under Windows.

DoctorMO
October 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM
Wasn't it mark shuttleworth who said in that tech weekly article that 'Adobe should try to open source the flash player because if they don't someone will do it for them'

I'd like to see Gnash given more support but I'm happy for Adobe to be creating it's new plugin. Perhaps in the future it will allow distrobution somehow.

RingWraith
October 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
The Penguin.SWF blog announced the necessary libraries for the Flash plugin to work:
libdl.so.2
libpthread.so.0
libX11.so.6
libXext.so.6
libXt.so.6
libfreetype.so.6
libfontconfig.so.1
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgobject-2.0.so.0
libglib-2.0.so.0
libm.so.6
libc.so.6And optionally:
libasound.so (for ALSA audio I/O)
libssl.so (for certain SSL connections).I tried to make sure I have them installed, but I only managed to find a part of them (in Synaptic, with Find). Could a more advanced user compile a list of necessary packages? It would help a lot.

Thanx!:KS

Lord Illidan
October 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM

It could be. Well, there already is a GPL version, but I think it is not having too much success..

Does anyone know whether it will use Cairo?

weatherman
October 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
It could be. Well, there already is a GPL version, but I think it is not having too much success..

Does anyone know whether it will use Cairo?
Gnash is just not ready yet.

slimdog360
October 2nd, 2006, 04:51 PM
you watch, 2 minutes after flash9 comes to linux, flash 10 will come to windows.

DoctorMO
October 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
you watch, 2 minutes after flash9 comes to linux, flash 10 will come to windows.

It isn't a flash player for windows thats the problem, it's the flash editors that produce flash 10 media.

henriquemaia
October 3rd, 2006, 04:21 AM

Even so, at least we won't be lagging 2 versions behind.

Quake
October 3rd, 2006, 05:55 AM

I wouldn't care, all I want is to have a perfect audio sync with the flash videos in websites such as youtubes.com

BOBSONATOR
October 3rd, 2006, 06:48 AM
I wouldn't care, all I want is to have a perfect audio sync with the flash videos in websites such as youtubes.com

Yes, but that is all you want.

woekele
October 5th, 2006, 12:37 AM
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/emmy/

Hmmm... it's close!

Anyway, I think it will take some time (at least more than a year) before flashplayer 10 will be the standard.

Polygon
October 5th, 2006, 12:53 AM

i agree. Most sites are compatiable with flash 8 currently (and flash 9 is the latest) so i wont mind if we are one version behind

but i do HATE with a PASSION the stupid syncing problem, and i will rejoice when it is finally fixed.

edit: it seems that adobe is finnaly actually keeping linux up to date;

The beta version of an upcoming update for Flash Player 9 is now available on Adobe Labs. This release contains bug fixes, adds Vista support to the ActiveX player, and also includes a feature that I think you will all be excited about ... full-screen mode in the web players.

I know the first question that just popped into your head is "What about Linux?" The answer is: QE has not skipped a beat and is starting the beta certification of the Linux player which will go live on Adobe Labs when it passes the certification tests. You'll have to estimate when you think that will be on your own. ;-) Yes, it will be the same version as what was released today in the Win/Mac beta on Adobe Labs.

cord
October 5th, 2006, 02:19 AM
I will be honest, the thing that annoys me the most is the fact that I have to use a 32bit browser on what is otherwise an almost full 64bit system.

I could even live with old flash as long as it worked in 64bits :(

aprilcanadian
October 5th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I'm very much looking forward to flash 9 for Ubuntu!

hotani
October 19th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Just installed it via this adobe page (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html). WOW! I can go to those irritating "Flash 8 Required" sites now, and my sound is N-SYNC!!1111eleventy!11

Seriously, it really works. The beta is great. Download the file and do the following:

shell> tar -zxf FP9_plugin_beta_101806.tar.gz
shell> sudo mv /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.backup
shell> sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

Now go here (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507) and check your version.