PDA

View Full Version : Linux needs a better GUI FTP Client

v8YKxgHe
October 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
The only thing I feel missing from Linux is a decent FTP CLient, SmartFTP for Linux would be great - but I asked once on their forum and they closed my topic within 5 mins with no reply.

gFTP is good, but the lack of a tree view is _very_ annoying and phyiscaly painful, also you can only connect to one FTP at a time which is quite annoying.

Unless anyone else knows of a good FTP Client, that works, I'd say Linux needs a new FTP Client!

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Correction: GNOME needs an FTP client. Thanks to KIOSlaves this is a non-issue in KDE. The FTP looks like just an extension of your local computer.

mostwanted
October 1st, 2006, 06:55 PM
Correction: GNOME needs an FTP client. Thanks to KIOSlaves this is a non-issue in KDE. The FTP looks like just an extension of your local computer.

Nautilus supports FTP accounts as virtual drives as well, that's what I'm using. It resides in my Places menu, very convenient.

aysiu
October 1st, 2006, 06:56 PM
They're working on a native Linux version of FileZilla. You can try the Alpha versions already.

~LoKe
October 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM
Nautilus supports FTP accounts as virtual drives as well, that's what I'm using. It resides in my Places menu, very convenient.

Oh? How do I do this? :D

henriquemaia
October 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM

Yes. It's very practical indeed. I'm using it right now, uploading backups for my ftp server. Just moving the files from one window to another (in spatial view).

mostwanted
October 1st, 2006, 07:15 PM
Oh? How do I do this? :D

Places → Add (Or Connect?) to server

Choose "FTP with login" and put in your info. It then appears in your places menu and on the sidebar in Nautilus and the Gnome file chooser dialog.

vayu
October 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM

Choose "FTP with login" and put in your info. It then appears in your places menu and on the sidebar in Nautilus and the Gnome file chooser dialog.

Do you by any chance know how to change active/passive mode?

Dinerty
October 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM
http://www.kftp.org/ = KFTPgrabber not a bad client

http://kasablanca.berlios.de/ = Highly recommend this, very nice client

mips
October 1st, 2006, 10:39 PM
http://www.kftp.org/ = KFTPgrabber not a bad client

http://kasablanca.berlios.de/ = Highly recommend this, very nice client

Yeah, Kasablanca is cool !

maagimies
October 1st, 2006, 10:43 PM
As much as I love Konqueror and KIOSlaves, in my ftp usage Konqueror logs in to the server for every single goddamn file that I upload. This is a problem for me because the server I'm connecting to allows only one ftp connection per ip. I upload a file, and poof, Cannot connect to server. I don't have this problem with any other ftp clients.

~LoKe
October 1st, 2006, 10:46 PM

Sweet, thanks!

moore.bryan
October 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM
no fireftp fans?

jimmygoon
October 1st, 2006, 10:54 PM
They're working on a native Linux version of FileZilla. You can try the Alpha versions already.

here here!

Dinerty
October 1st, 2006, 10:59 PM
You could also try Igloo FTP PRO (Not free mind you), but probaly the best client on linux

http://www.iglooftp.com/unix/

lapsey
October 1st, 2006, 11:36 PM
despite what some people may say about its functionality, filezilla would be great for linux

pmj
October 2nd, 2006, 01:37 AM
As Dinerty said, IglooFTP is probably the best graphical FTP client Linux has. That Linux is so lacking when it comes to graphical FTP clients is puzzling; you'd think it was an area the geek crowd would find important.

gFTP is absolutely awful. It's buggy (or at least it was a year ago, the last time I tried it), lacking in features and has a confusing interface, and I don't understand why Ubuntu includes it. Is there really no better _simple_ FTP client that fits in in Gnome?

omns
October 2nd, 2006, 06:46 AM

DoctorMO
October 2nd, 2006, 06:52 AM
That Linux is so lacking when it comes to graphical FTP clients is puzzling; you'd think it was an area the geek crowd would find important.

Not a suprise to me, geeks use 'ftp' command line tools.

For GUI in KDE I use konquorer and in Gnome I use server connect. never had to use an external ftp client yet.

And it beats the capabilities of Mac OS X at least which only has read only ftp-gui access (still for some unknown reason) and windows which has it's internet-exporer ftp functionality which hardly anyone uses but is quite usefull simply because it's drag and drop just like konqueror and nautlus.

Krakatos
October 2nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Honestly, I'm waiting for Filezilla.

While I respect the fact that not all users need it, I need a full-fledged ftp client with functionalities and plenty of settings. It all depends on what you need after all. Using Nautilus or Konqueror might be ok for a small, one time connection... but they're not configurable enough to qualify as a ftp client, sorry. They might be ok to the causal FTP user though.

I tried one after another all the names in this thread, and even some other (like virgoftp). But none of them can compare with Filezilla. And so.. here I am waiting for it :)

morningboat
October 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM
FileZilla now has become a beta status, which could be a choice when it becomes more stable in future.
To the current available choices, CrossFTP Client is a stable cross-platform GUI ftp client, which is available at: http://www.crossftp.com/ Its normal version is free while the profession version requires a license fee.

McBainUK
October 23rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Does any of these FTP clients have a syncronize feature? In other words a button you can click that will overwrite/delete files on a web server to match your local copy.

aysiu
October 23rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
Does any of these FTP clients have a syncronize feature? In other words a button you can click that will overwrite/delete files on a web server to match your local copy.
I believe FireFTP has this option.

basketcase
October 23rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
I've been using filezilla for months now. It had only crashed once on me....

McBainUK
October 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Installed FireFTP but when try to naviage to a FAT32 local partiton is bails reporting a permission error. :(

aysiu
October 23rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
And ordinarily you have access to that FAT32 partition?

McBainUK
October 23rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Yes, through ubuntu file manager and other progs (amarok, open office etc).

chaosgeisterchen
October 23rd, 2006, 09:42 PM
What is not fine about konqueror being used for FTP transactions? Can anyone tell me the downsides of using KDEs multifunctional tool #1 ?

aysiu
October 23rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
What is not fine about konqueror being used for FTP transactions? Can anyone tell me the downsides of using KDEs multifunctional tool #1 ?
Some people don't have KDE installed and would prefer not to use a QT application?

Some like double-clicking files to upload them instead of using drag-and-drop?

Some prefer the command-line?

alecjw
October 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Why not just mount an FTP server?:)

Places>>Connect to server...

and from there it's pretty much self-explainitory.

McBainUK
October 23rd, 2006, 10:28 PM

For me, because this is a must-have feature.

louieb
October 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Hey thanks guys n gals. I've used ws_ftp le in windows for years. I been using Linux about 4 months. Just tried Places>Connect to Server. Easy and simple. I maintain a few small web sites. It will do nicely for what I want to do. :rolleyes:

mostwanted
October 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Places>>Connect to server...

and from there it's pretty much self-explainitory.

Was suggested in the third post ;)

danfluidmind
November 9th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I too have tried all the free FTP clients available for Linux and found them sadly lacking. I agree that gFTP's interface is abyssmal. And most (none?) of them don't support SFTP. Kasablanca has the most potential, IMHO. It has the nicest interface, and runs under Gnome just fine. But it doesn't support SFTP and doesn't allow you to categorize your bookmarks.

On a happy note, Filezilla 3.00beta2 for Linux is now available:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558

--Dan