PDA

View Full Version : Zero-day flaw in Firefox

greggh
October 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM
http://news.com.com/Hackers+claim+zero-day+flaw+in+Firefox/2100-1002_3-6121608.html?tag=nefd.top

An attacker could commandeer a computer running the browser simply by crafting a Web page that contains some malicious JavaScript code, Mischa Spiegelmock and Andrew Wbeelsoi said in a presentation at the ToorCon hacker conference here. The flaw affects Firefox on Windows, Apple Computer's Mac OS X and Linux, they said.

"Internet Explorer, everybody knows, is not very secure. But Firefox is also fairly insecure," said Spiegelmock, who in everyday life works at blog company SixApart. He detailed the flaw, showing a slide that displayed key parts of the attack code needed to exploit it.

The flaw is specific to Firefox's implementation of JavaScript, a 10-year old scripting language widely used on the Web. In particular, various programming tricks can cause a stack overflow error, Spiegelmock said. The implementation is a "complete mess," he said. "It is impossible to patch."

whynotchevron
October 1st, 2006, 04:58 PM
I have NoScript extension installed on my computers
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/
hopefully a good stop-gap measure .:-k

jeffc313
October 1st, 2006, 05:12 PM
*installs no-script*
am i safe?

greggh
October 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM
I just installed no-script too. If this really turns out to be a flaw affecting the entire implimentation of the JVM in Firefox its going to be very damaging to Firefox and Mozilla.

Kateikyoushi
October 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM
*removes wireless card*
Am I safe ? ^^;

After the comment that it's impossible to patch I am really curious how will they solve it, hopefully they come up with a surprising solution.

~LoKe
October 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM
And they released this information, why? o_O

slimdog360
October 1st, 2006, 05:17 PM
*uses konqueror as he always does*
am i safe?

Fass
October 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM

Attention whoring coupled with a paradoxical self-delusion that they want to do what's "good for the Internet," only to later hold on to other bugs for their own purposes, which of course only strengthens the attention whoring aspect of it all.

skymt
October 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM

Because the (cr|h)ackers already know it.

fuscia
October 1st, 2006, 05:45 PM
as part of my conversion to kde nuthuggery, i am safely swinging from the glowing chobes of konqueror. am i really safe? i do keep my best secrets in my head (call me 'old school').

Polygon
October 1st, 2006, 06:01 PM
horray for no script!

basically if you have no script, a page cant run javascript unless you specifically allow it to, ie sites you know are good (like the forums).

mips
October 1st, 2006, 06:18 PM
as part of my conversion to kde nuthuggery, i am safely swinging from the glowing chobes of konqueror. am i really safe? i do keep my best secrets in my head (call me 'old school').

Don't you miss the firefox extensions ??? That's probably the only reason I use swiftfox and I must say it feels faster than konq.

Lord Illidan
October 1st, 2006, 06:20 PM
Idiot hackers...they are shaming all the real hackers out there...why would they benefit the internet by not working with Mozilla????

henriquemaia
October 1st, 2006, 07:26 PM
horray for no script!

basically if you have no script, a page cant run javascript unless you specifically allow it to, ie sites you know are good (like the forums).

Thanks for the tip. Already using it.

BWF89
October 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM
One of the reasons why so many people like open source is because instead of hiding a problem or simpily saying there is no problem like the proprietary software companies do we openly publish them so that programmers can try to fix them.

greggh
October 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
One of the reasons why so many people like open source is because instead of hiding a problem or simpily saying there is no problem like the proprietary software companies do we openly publish them so that programmers can try to fix them.

Yup, but the hackers say that they are keeping a whole bunch of other firefox exploits to themselves so they can use them for botnets.

Cap'n Refsmmat
October 1st, 2006, 09:22 PM
Yup, but the hackers say that they are keeping a whole bunch of other firefox exploits to themselves so they can use them for botnets.
Or so they claim. In any case, as soon as the exploits begin to spread, someone smarter will catch them and patch them.

BWF89
October 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM
If the hackers were as smart as the patchers they'd be working to fix problems instead of creating them. Although there are some people that take joy in destorying things.

richbarna
October 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM
Idiot hackers...they are shaming all the real hackers out there...why would they benefit the internet by not working with Mozilla????

They aren't hackers, just idiots. Just as a man with a gun isn't a murderer, and a man with a beer isn't an alcoholic. There are plenty of fools in the world. You're right, this benefits nobody.

13east
October 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM
freakin morons with a computer, hackers can't find anythin productive to do with their lives so they set out to ruin others'. i'm installing noscript onto swiftfox right now. thx for the info.

siimo
October 1st, 2006, 10:27 PM
HAHA! (nelson)

Owned.

greggh
October 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM
HAHA! (nelson)

Owned.

I bet that Firefox with this flaw used with noscript extension is still a hell of alot safer than Internet Exploder.

fuscia
October 1st, 2006, 10:56 PM
Don't you miss the firefox extensions ??? That's probably the only reason I use swiftfox and I must say it feels faster than konq.

not really. i don't use many firefox extensions, anyway. but, as i change my mind about every five minutes, it's hard for me to say this is permanent.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
I've had NoScript installed for quite some time because almost all of the Firefox vulnerabilities that come out usually have something to do with Javascript.

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 01:07 AM
I bet that Firefox with this flaw used with noscript extension is still a hell of alot safer than Internet Exploder.

Not really. Internet Explorer has security zones, which provide NoScript functionality built right into the browser. If you lock down Javascript and ActiveX on untrusted sites, it's as safe as Firefox. Safer, in fact, since (as I recall) it can block objects, like Flash and Java applets. That way, you don't have to worry about those as exploit vectors.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 03:15 AM
What are you talking about?

There's no easy way to turn off Javascript and ActiveX globally and then one-by-one whitelist sites in Internet Explorer. You actually have to go into the options > security > untrusted sites and manually add each untrusted address.

And NoScript can block Flash and Java.

I believe you don't know what you're talking about.

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 2nd, 2006, 03:24 AM
He knows exactly what he is talking about. He did reference zones, after all. He is referring to the use of Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites zones to use that switching. So yes, IE can handle site-specific Javascript, but it is not Javascript-specific. Every trusted site must have the same settings for Javascript, Active X, Java, etc. So IE does it, but in a poor way.

However, Noscript does look rather bad compared to Konqueror's built in Javascript controls. It lets you not just turn Javascript on/off, but you can control what functions are allowed for each domain.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 03:32 AM
I'm also talking about Trusted and Restricted Sites (see the attached screenshot in my last post), and that's not as secure as NoScript--sorry.

You're assuming either that Internet Explorer is perfect at detecting which sites are trusted or not trusted or that IE users are really going to click three items deep and manually type in a web address in order to blacklist it before they visit the page.

With NoScript, the default is that everything is blacklisted, and you whitelist only as you see fit... with one click.

Where's the one-click whitelisting on Konqueror? It's not in the right-click (context menu) for websites. As far as I can tell, you also cannot blanket blacklist and then whitelist as you see appropriate. You have to one by one (just as with Internet Explorer), type in the web addresses of sites you want specific actions for.

So let's say you navigate to a rather sketchy site by accident:

1. In Internet Explorer, you pray that it's detected as a restricted site or... before clicking the link to it, you go to Tools > Internet Options > Security > Restricted Sites > Sites, type the address of the site and then click Add.

2. In Konqueror, you also pray that it's detected with Konqueror's "smart" settings to be untrustworthy, or... before clicking the link to it, you go to Settings > Configure Konqueror > Java & Javascript > New, type the name of the domain, click Reject, click Javascript, click New, select all the options for that site, then click OK.

3. In Firefox with NoScript, you just visit the site. It's already blacklisted. If you want to whitelist it, you click on the NoScript icon on the status bar and say "allow somesite.com" or "temporarily allow somesite.com."

Which do you think is safer?

A) The browsers that try to determine which sites are safe (any algorithm must be flawed) and force you to click at least four times and then manually type an address in order to blacklist a site.

B) The browser that automatically determines all sites to be unsafe until you manually approve (with one click) the site.

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Internet Explorer has another zone in addition to Trusted and Untrusted. It's called the Internet zone. If you disable Javascript in the Internet zone, you can whitelist (add to the Trusted zone) the sites you want, and it blocks Javascript for everything else. Check out the first screenshot. It also has a zone for local sites, so you can automatically whitelist anything on, say, a corporate LAN.

IE also allows for more fine-grained security control. When you click Custom Level, you can choose from a long list of security options, controlling stuff like cookies and semi-obscure HTML tags. See the second screenshot.

You say NoScript lets you whitelist a site with one click. It's actually two (one to bring up the menu, a second to choose to allow the site), but that's nit-picking. It really is more convenient to use NoScript, and that's a security problem. I've tried to get my family to use NoScript, but they always either "Allow scripts Globally" or allow each site they go to, rendering it worthless. In IE it's more trouble, but it's also less likely a user will whitelist a bad site.

Oh, and you don't have to manually type the address. Even Windows has copy-and-paste.

slimdog360
October 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
firefox cant do the Active X thing, make that, the dev's choose not to let firefox do the active x thing.

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
firefox cant do the Active X thing, make that, the dev's choose not to let firefox do the active x thing.

Yes. So? It supports Javascript, which has plenty of security holes by itself.

IE lets you whitelist ActiveX, which is just as secure, but (obviously) more powerful.

slimdog360
October 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
from the experts

IE (http://secunia.com/product/11/)
"Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Extremely critical"

firefox (http://secunia.com/product/4227/)
"Mozilla Firefox 1.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Less critical"

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yes. So? It supports Javascript, which has plenty of security holes by itself.

IE lets you whitelist ActiveX, which is just as secure, but (obviously) more powerful. And, as I showed in previous posts, whitelisting or blacklisting in Internet Explorer is too much of an inconvenience to be useful or considered a viable security measure.

Whitelisting and blacklisting of sites has to be a one-click option--otherwise most people (even power users) aren't going to use that functionality. Anything that involves four clicks and the manual typing in of web addresses will be used by only the super paranoid who are dedicated to a particular browser.

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
And, as I showed in previous posts, whitelisting or blacklisting in Internet Explorer is too much of an inconvenience to be useful or considered a viable security measure.

Whitelisting and blacklisting of sites has to be a one-click option--otherwise most people (even power users) aren't going to use that functionality. Anything that involves four clicks and the manual typing in of web addresses will be used by only the super paranoid who are dedicated to a particular browser.

Did you read my previous post (#29 on page 3)?

EdThaSlayer
October 2nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
So i see that firefox's biggest threat is javascript...which they say is quite a buggy but very useful mark up language...

So all i will have to install is No-script(which i...btw...have already installed...)
then that vulnurability is gone...

hey...at least they told us about that weakness...we computer savie users are on alert now...

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
from the experts

IE (http://secunia.com/product/11/)
"Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Extremely critical"

firefox (http://secunia.com/product/4227/)
"Mozilla Firefox 1.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Less critical"

http://secunia.com/graph/?type=sol&period=2006&prod=4227
http://secunia.com/graph/?type=sol&period=2006&prod=10615

;)

I use Opera. ;)

I'm not saying IE is the most secure browser on the planet. I'm saying it has more security control than Firefox (even with NoScript), and by using that control, you can make it more secure than Firefox.

slimdog360
October 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
people who use IE, dont muck around with anything, dont use trusted zones, dont enable/disable activex or java script. Hence if they were to use firefox and intentionally download noscript they would be more likely to use it properly. Making it safer. making firefox the safer choice.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 05:07 PM

I use Opera. ;)

I'm not saying IE is the most secure browser on the planet. I'm saying it has more security control than Firefox (even with NoScript), and by using that control, you can make it more secure than Firefox.
And I'm disagreeing with you. How does it offer you more security control than Firefox?

Control means nothing if it's inconvenient. I'm not going to go through five or six steps before visiting a questionable site in order to blacklist it.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Sorry, I hadn't.

But I believe anyone who would enable JavaScript globally or whitelist every site she visits is highly unlikely to take five or six extra steps to whitelist or blacklist sites in Internet Explorer.

Basically, I would break it down into these three major groups:

1. Users who just don't care. Convenience is the only thing that matters. If security happens too, they're happy.

2. Users who care about security but also want it to be convenient.

3. Users for whom security is the top priority who want to know everything that's going on, and convenience matters very little.

So what I'm saying is that group #1... doesn't matter what browser they use. They will always be operating insecurely--one click, two clicks, five clicks... they won't care. Anything that impedes their browsing isn't worth doing even if it makes them secure.

Group #2 would be ideal for NoScript but would consider the "control" that IE and Konqueror give them unnecessary (why blacklist only parts of a potentially untrustworthy site?) and also inconvenient--requiring too many clicks and too much typing.

Group #3 has very few people in it, and this group seems to be the group you're talking about. The likelihood that anyone in this group would be still using Internet Explorer--very low. Maybe they'd use Konqueror. Maybe.

By the way, if you want to talk about control--Firefox offers cookie management that has a lot more control than IE and Opera (not Konqueror, though).

Colonel Kilkenny
October 2nd, 2006, 05:43 PM
By the way, if you want to talk about control--Firefox offers cookie management that has a lot more control than IE and Opera (not Konqueror, though).

Just out of curiosity. Can you show an example how Firefox cookie management is better than Operas? I really don't know cause I don't use Firefox that much..

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
But I believe anyone who would enable JavaScript globally or whitelist every site she visits is highly unlikely to take five or six extra steps to whitelist or blacklist sites in Internet Explorer.

This could be resolved with a simple add-on. The tools are already there in IE, so it would be easy to write an IE toolbar to make it as easy as NoScript. There might even be something like this, I don't know.

Basically, I would break it down into these three major groups:

1. Users who just don't care. Convenience is the only thing that matters. If security happens too, they're happy.

This group can't be helped. They will get spyware no matter what.

2. Users who care about security but also want it to be convenient.

This group has been told that Firefox is the most secure browser, so they use it.

3. Users for whom security is the top priority who want to know everything that's going on, and convenience matters very little.

This group realizes that there is very little making Firefox more secure than IE, so they use whichever they prefer. That may, in fact, be Internet Explorer. This group also probably has the programming chops to make it easier for themselves, by making a toolbar as I described.

So what I'm saying is that group #1... doesn't matter what browser they use. They will always be operating insecurely--one click, two clicks, five clicks... they won't care. Anything that impedes their browsing isn't worth doing even if it makes them secure.

Yes.

Group #2 would be ideal for NoScript but would consider the "control" that IE and Konqueror give them unnecessary (why blacklist only parts of a potentially untrustworthy site?) and also inconvenient--requiring too many clicks and too much typing.

I blacklist parts of sites all the time. If I would like to use a site that uses Javascript, but don't want advertisers to track me, I'll use Opera Site Preferences to lock down certain features and open others. I only have to do it once for each site, and the defaults I set are usually fine.

Group #3 has very few people in it, and this group seems to be the group you're talking about. The likelihood that anyone in this group would be still using Internet Explorer--very low. Maybe they'd use Konqueror. Maybe.

This group might still use IE, for control like this (http://www.nwnetworks.com/iezones.htm). Or, they might use it because their company requires it.

Have you used Opera 9? Site Preferences is the best feature ever, in any browser. It's better than the back button. ;)

The post I was replying to originally said IE was less secure than Firefox with NoScript. I think I've shown that to be false, if you use the tools Microsoft provided.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 05:48 PM
You're not talking about tools Microsoft has provided. You're talking about tools that someone could write as an add-on.

You can't compare potential software to existing software.

And that still doesn't address group #2 that doesn't want to do all those clicks to get more control. NoScript will take care of any JavaScript vulnerabilities. I don't see why you need greater control than blacklisting an entire fishy (or phishy) site.

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Also, I haven't used IE 7. From what I've seen on the web, it looks like it has a lot of new security features, so it wouldn't surprise me if it fixes the zones convenience problem.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
I'm not saying IE doesn't have the potential to be practically secure in the future.

I'm saying that right now, for practical purposes for group #2, Firefox offers the best balance of convenience and security.

You make a security measure too inconvenient to the point of being practically unusable, it's not really secure any more.

Speaking for myself personally and not for any hypothetical group (though I do belong to group #2), I would rather have two PCs--one for internet use and one for everything else--than have to go through all the hoops of trying to whitelist/blacklist with Internet Explorer 6's current functionality (not what IE7 might have or some add-on someone could create).

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
You're not talking about tools Microsoft has provided. You're talking about tools that someone could write as an add-on.

Microsoft provides the tools, they're just harder to use than they could be. A quick Google discovered that Microsoft actually provided an add-on that added zone toolbar buttons. However, it was only for IE 5 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/previous/webaccess/pwrtwks.mspx). I also found various third-party utilities that support IE 6. So the software does exist.

I also found an MSDN tutorial on adding toolbar buttons to IE, and it looks pretty easy. I could write and debug a zones button like I described over a weekend. In fact, I might do that.

And that still doesn't address group #2 that doesn't want to do all those clicks to get more control. NoScript will take care of any JavaScript vulnerabilities. I don't see why you need greater control than blacklisting an entire fishy (or phishy) site.

Actually, I did. That group won't use IE anyway.

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm not saying IE doesn't have the potential to be practically secure in the future.

I'm saying that right now, for practical purposes for group #2, Firefox offers the best balance of convenience and security.

You make a security measure too inconvenient to the point of being practically unusable, it's not really secure any more.

Speaking for myself personally and not for any hypothetical group (though I do belong to group #2), I would rather have two PCs--one for internet use and one for everything else--than have to go through all the hoops of trying to whitelist/blacklist with Internet Explorer 6's current functionality (not what IE7 might have or some add-on someone could create).

As I said, group #2 has generally been convinced of the superiority of Firefox, and are therefore out of the equation when it comes to IE security.

Oh, and a lot of people really use your 2 PC solution, just with VMWare.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
As I said, group #2 has generally been convinced of the superiority of Firefox, and are therefore out of the equation when it comes to IE security.And what I'm saying is that group #2 has the functionality to make Firefox secure easily, so it's not just about "being convinced of the superiority" of Firefox.

Firefox actually offers them security measures that are solid against JavaScript-based vulnerabilities, and it suits their lifestyle (the balance of convenience and security).

Oh, and a lot of people really use your 2 PC solution, just with VMWare. I know, and I don't really use that solution. I'm just saying I'd rather do that than use Internet Explorer's current security solutions, which are too inconvenient to implement properly, or--as you put it--"Microsoft provides the tools, they're just harder to use than they could be."

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Here's a toolbar button for IE (www.geeksuperhero.com/zones.shtml) that works a lot like NoScript. I'll bet there are a lot more, but I don't want to waste my time looking.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Excellent! Then people who use Internet Explorer can be secure and have convenience--it's simply a matter of education and some good Google skills.

I would like, however, every time someone talks about IE being effectually secure that they mention that add-on. Otherwise, it would be like arguing Firefox is secure without mentioning NoScript.

Not the man I once was
October 2nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Greetings,

I'd like to have my say on this matter if I may. For a year past before defecting to Ubuntu GNU/Linux, I had an almighty and deepening facisnation with Security matters within Windows and, such as the situation is with the Operating System itself, there was always interesting articles and White Papers from Security Solution Vendors such as McAfee and Symantec convering topics from SPAM and Viruses, to Exploits and Botnets but I'd like to warn everyone about a few matters they may not have realised apply.

The flaws were made public at a Convention, thereby allowing Mozilla the opportunity to analyse the threat faced by the Mozilla Firefox Browser. The fact is that, although Mozilla Firefox has a large section of its work associated with JavaScript, it is the language that is at fault and not the implementation with the Browser itself. This is a Universal issue, not simply an issue with Mozilla Firefox.

Secondly, as the flaws were made public, the US Goverment can intervene on the issue that the purpetrators of the Exploit are witholding information that could potetionally affect the Goverments Security - They use Mozilla Firefox.
This may sound odd but there was a situation in which Microsoft Windows XP's Disk Defragmenter prompted a Security inquiry by a Goverment some years ago therefore this is a viable concern, Mozilla offer bounties for flaws discovered within their Firefox Browser and as it stands, the people who discovered these issues stand to make in the region of $15,000 in the process if their flaws are valid.

Finally don't allow yourselves to be drawn into the pie charts above, remember that mathematics and numbering can be manipulated to show anything a Company or a person pleases, positive or negative and as such the Secunia reports aren't fully valid in that respect as each person simply takes the information they wish to believe is correct.

My advice is to await an advisory on the issues via Mozilla and to implement the mitigation techniques they suggest, I've read of many people relying on Novell's AppArmour to protect them from these issues but if I'm quite honest, they are relying on software and all software has bugs and issues in itself therefore again, the above point is invalid.

Use common sense and Practicse Safe Hex and the majority of users are expected to be unaffected by these issues. Support Mozilla into resolving these issues and we will only show strength against those who seek to sow fear, uncertainty and deceit.

Regards,

Not the man I once was

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Finally don't allow yourselves to be drawn into the pie charts above, remember that mathematics and numbering can be manipulated to show anything a Company or a person pleases, positive or negative and as such the Secunia reports aren't fully valid in that respect as each person simply takes the information they wish to believe is correct.

I posted those charts as a kind of joke. Anyone reading those charts should be able to see that there is only one unpatched vulnerability in Firefox, compared to zero in Opera. With a workaround, such as NoScript, that vulnerability is avoided. The joke is in my use of deceptive charts (10% more vulnerability looks like a lot more than one easily avoided vulnerability) to defend my choice of browser. Many people use worse defenses for their choices. It was funny to me, anyway!

Maybe I should have put a smiley in, as a kind of "joke tag". I'll go do that!

EDIT: Oh wait, I did. I guess you just don't know what ;) means.

GStubbs43
October 2nd, 2006, 07:42 PM
EDIT: Oh wait, I did. I guess you just don't know what ;) means.

It looks like you're just saying that Opera is more secure and that other people should use it. You should put the smiley after the graphs, not "I use Opera." ;)

aysiu
October 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
I think, as the discussion between me and skymt illustrates, it's not so much that any particular browser is inherently more or less secure than another browser.

A lot has to do with the user--the user's practices, research on plugins and add-ons and general awareness of security issues.

Brunellus
October 2nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
It looks like you're just saying that Opera is more secure and that other people should use it. You should put the smiley after the graphs, not "I use Opera." ;)
...and thus we see yet another hazard of using smilies as punctuation.

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM

Fixed. ;)

GStubbs43
October 2nd, 2006, 09:28 PM
That's better. :)

ago
October 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM

;)

I use Opera. ;)

This chart is absolutely meaningless. It tells that FF patched 9 bugs out of 10 and Opera 1 out of 1. Neither can you compare the number of bugs (since Opera is closed source), nor the bug fixing rate (since 1 ~ 9/10, one is too small of a sample)...

skymt
October 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
This chart is absolutely meaningless. It tells that FF patched 9 bugs out of 10 and Opera 1 out of 1. Neither can you compare the number of bugs (since Opera is closed source), nor the bug fixing rate (since 1 ~ 9/10, one is too small of a sample)...

I posted those charts as a kind of joke. Anyone reading those charts should be able to see that there is only one unpatched vulnerability in Firefox, compared to zero in Opera. With a workaround, such as NoScript, that vulnerability is avoided. The joke is in my use of deceptive charts (10% more vulnerability looks like a lot more than one easily avoided vulnerability) to defend my choice of browser. Many people use worse defenses for their choices. It was funny to me, anyway!

airtonix
October 2nd, 2006, 11:35 PM
And so even if i was stupid enough to actually use IE on windows, I would deserve all the grief that came through that dark portal.

If I was concerned about security....I'd be using linux....oh wait I am.:eek:

And so then if i was using linux, why the *&^% would i use wineIE(5,5.5,6)..:-k..on anything other my private http://localhost with code that I created.

ice60
October 3rd, 2006, 01:46 AM
What are you talking about?

There's no easy way to turn off Javascript and ActiveX globally and then one-by-one whitelist sites in Internet Explorer. You actually have to go into the options > security > untrusted sites and manually add each untrusted address.

And NoScript can block Flash and Java.

hi, you can just click the icon in the bottom bar to open the zones, also, i think you can just push the internet zone bar up to high to disable scripting, i can't remember though. if not you only have to 'harden' the settings once in the advanced tab.

there's a registry value which lets you add as many zones as you like which would give more control with zones i suppose, add a higher number here vv
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate

i like opera best. Secunia absolutely know what they are talking about with that graph.

there was a javascript flaw which only worked if your router had the default password, is this what the thread is about?

aysiu
October 3rd, 2006, 01:57 AM
hi, you can just click the icon in the bottom bar to open the zones, also, i think you can just push the internet zone bar up to high to disable scripting, i can't remember though. if not you only have to 'harden' the settings once in the advanced tab.
I see no such icon. When I click on those two icons on the status bar (right-click, left-click, whatever), nothing happens.

ice60
October 3rd, 2006, 02:02 AM
I see no such icon. When I click on those two icons on the status bar (right-click, left-click, whatever), nothing happens.

well, it's that world icon (double-click). maybe it has to be showing the red icon for it to work, but i doubt it. it must just be in windows then.

aysiu
October 3rd, 2006, 02:08 AM
well, it's that world icon (double-click). maybe it has to be showing the red icon for it to work, but i doubt it. it must just be in windows then.
I'll try it the next time I'm in Windows.

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 3rd, 2006, 02:12 AM
i like opera best. Secunia absolutely know what they are talking about with that graph.
Secunia does, but you might not. Opera 9.x has one flaw in 3 months, Firefox 1.x has 10 flaws in 11 months. Opera is and has historically been more secure, but not by as huge a margin as that graph makes it look. There is a reason Secunia says not to use those graphs as a comparison of security.

Where it says Internet double clicking should open the window. Works for me.

ice60
October 3rd, 2006, 02:19 AM
Secunia does, but you might not.
what's that suppose to mean?

maybe i don't know what i'm talking about lol but i spend most of my time talking to people who do, so i suppose the gist of things rub off.

blastus
October 3rd, 2006, 02:23 AM
I don't care what the "experts" say about Internet Explorer, Outlook and ActiveX now. In the past, these products/technologies have had a large number of spectacular security holes. For years security has just been an afterthought to Microsoft and this has cost users billions of dollars.

I made the decision back in 2001/2002 to quit using IE and Outlook Express when I noticed that, just by selecting certain spam emails in the view panel in Outlook Express, several Internet Explorer windows would popup and goto various websites. There wasn't a damn thing I could do to stop the windows from popping up so I made sure I never selected or viewed emails while connected to the Internet. Not long after that I heard about an email circulating that, just by selecting it in Outlook Express, would search your hard drive for certain types of files and mass email them out to everyone in your address book. Nice.

However, the final nail was driven into the coffin when I heard about ActiveX dialers. Just by visiting a website in IE, the dialer would install and execute. I managed to get one on my machine but fortunately for me it didn't work. I only found out about it when I ran Spybot several months later. My telephone company even sent out a warning about these long distance ActiveX dialers and that they were blocking calls to certain countries because of it and that they would not compensate users a single dime on their phone bill because it. They recommended people disable ActiveX in IE and unplug their telephone cord from their computer when not connected to the Internet.

Unlike other types of security threats, this one had the potential to directly cost ME money. No longer did I feel safe about leaving my computer on and the telephone cord plugged into it. For me this was the last straw. I've never touched IE or Outlook Express since.

fatsheep
October 3rd, 2006, 02:25 AM
I used to use NoScript for firefox but I got tired of having to whitelist everything. Also, I got into the habit of whitelisting websites regardless which negates the security value of NoScript. :p On second thought, this thing looks pretty serious so I'll be reinstalling NoScript for the time being.

kerry_s
October 3rd, 2006, 03:26 AM
I'm not worried, those supposed flaws are coming from 2 "hackers" as they like to be called, who just happen to work with MS and are sponsored by MS but refuse to reveal the flaws. Can you say "FUD"?

NoTiG
October 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/70873/index.html

Lately, I read the headline: "Open Source browser Firefox is so critically flawed that it is impossible to fix, according to two hackers." Further on, in the ZDNet article I read: "The hackers claim they know of about 30 unpatched Firefox flaws. They don't plan to disclose them, instead holding onto the bugs."
Since that sounds suspicious, I decided to start searching for connections with MS. Easy enough, here it is:

* 21:30-03:00 ToorCon Saturday Night Party - Sponsored by Microsoft (Link) (http://www.toorcon.org/2006/conference.html)

saracen
October 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
What is the difference between the potential damage that this could do on Ubuntu vs. what it could do on Windows. Are we safer on Ubuntu because of the restricted nature of the filesystem? This thing can't get root priveleges can it?

Quake
October 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
I was wondering, is there a Gnome browser that uses the Konqueror engine? (Such as Epiphany which uses the Mozilla engine)

skymt
October 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
I was wondering, is there a Gnome browser that uses the Konqueror engine? (Such as Epiphany which uses the Mozilla engine)

No. It would probably need too many KDE libs.

fuscia
October 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM

you know you can use gnome in konqueror, yes?

saracen
October 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM

I think what he meant was: "you know you can use konqueror in gnome, yes?"

aysiu
October 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I clicked on that globe icon in Windows, and all it gives me are the general internet preferences--it's not a site-specific context, which means it's almost as much work as (one less click than) going to Tools > Internet Options.

saracen
October 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
How do I ban google-analytics.com from running scripts? It's popping up on most of the sites that I visit but I can't find a way to explicitly ban it.

halfvolle melk
October 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2006/10/02/update-possible-vulnerability-reported-at-toorcon/

Quake
October 3rd, 2006, 04:21 PM

I think you mean Konqueror in Gnome...
Yes, I know, but right now I don't want to use KDE applications in Gnome yet, I like everything to look "Gnomish". Just a personal preference right now.

fuscia
October 3rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
I think what he meant was: "you know you can use konqueror in gnome, yes?"

doh!](*,)

ice60
October 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
I clicked on that globe icon in Windows, and all it gives me are the general internet preferences--it's not a site-specific context, which means it's almost as much work as (one less click than) going to Tools > Internet Options.

did you try clicking the red icon next to it? you still have to fill in the url though.

How do I ban google-analytics.com from running scripts? It's popping up on most of the sites that I visit but I can't find a way to explicitly ban it.doesn't no script do that? there's also an extension called CustomizeGoogle which disables alot of google stuff like ads, anonymises the google cookie, disables the google-analytics cookie and alot more.
http://www.customizegoogle.com/

Koori23
October 3rd, 2006, 04:57 PM
I read that LX'er article and found it quite normal for FUD to be thrown aroud like that. Microsoft has deep pockets, and the fact that they sponsored beer night. Seriously, I can relate to the claim, I myself become a suprisingly agreeable person when someone brings over a case of beer.

BTW, the head of Mozilla Security (Window Snyder) is really cute for a computer geek.

aysiu
October 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
did you try clicking the red icon next to it? you still have to fill in the url though. That allows me to change cookie settings for that site. If I click on Settings, it just takes me to the general Internet Options settings.

ice60
October 3rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
That allows me to change cookie settings for that site. If I click on Settings, it just takes me to the general Internet Options settings.
OK. i think i should tell you i haven't used IE for 2/3 years. i don't have windows or IE installed either so i can't check these things.

DoctorMO
October 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Are we that helpful that we'll give out help for IE on windows xp?

Man I love this comunity.

aysiu
October 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
OK. i think i should tell you i haven't used IE for 2/3 years. i don't have windows or IE installed either so i can't check these things.
It's okay. I'm checking them for you.

Point is--that add-on for IE is relatively unknown (had to be tracked down through Google searching), and the vast majority of IE users will not blacklist domains for ActiveX or JavaScript.

There are far more Firefox users with NoScript installed than IE users with that obscure add-on installed.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to the user. A dumb user with Firefox will be just as vulnerable to exploits as a dumb user on IE.

skymt
October 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM

Point is--that add-on for IE is relatively unknown (had to be tracked down through Google searching), and the vast majority of IE users will not blacklist domains for ActiveX or JavaScript.

There are far more Firefox users with NoScript installed than IE users with that obscure add-on installed.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to the user. A dumb user with Firefox will be just as vulnerable to exploits as a dumb user on IE.

Excellent summary. I think we can all agree with that.

ice60
October 3rd, 2006, 07:44 PM

yeap, security is all about the user and not so much the software.

i haven't let java or javascript run for a few years. when they're needed i enable them for that site. i think i've needed java once in 2/3 years. javascript is needed more often, but i think it should only be run through an http filter, something like privoxy, but if you are using Wine then Proxomitron is king with Grypen's Filter Set and the SSL Addons
http://www.castlecops.com/t124920-About_Grypens_Filter_Set.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=31087

i'd put Proxomitron up there with Linux in terms of how great it is.

fatsheep
October 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Here's two videos related to that article if anyone's interested:

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6121987.html?tag=ne.vid
http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6121999.html?tag=ne.video.6121987

These guys are idiots... Here's a quote from the video:

"We need to get back to that point where the internet is an elitest place where only intelligent people that are capable of ruining **** can communicate"

Um... right...

whynotchevron
October 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
finally a little more clarification . boy I got some good names for these two !!
http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Hype-Surrounds-Alleged-Firefox-Flaw/story.xhtml?story_id=0030003Q1J7I