PDA

View Full Version : Tescos gonna sell their own software

beercz
October 1st, 2006, 01:13 PM
Tesco is a British supermarket chain that is seeking world dominance.

It is reported (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5396488.stm) that they are going to sell their own software in 'direct' competition to Microsoft.

Obviously Tesco doesn't know about or understand open source software:

"When it comes to software there is little choice and prices are high," said Tesco buyer Daniel Cook.

Interesting, although I wouldn't buy any for two reasons:

1) Presumably the software that they are intending to sell is for the Windows platform.

2) I use open source software which offers several choices and is free.

Supermarkets like Tescos dominate our lives as it is!!!!

.t.
October 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM
Nooooo!

Engnome
October 1st, 2006, 01:32 PM
Considering the fact that I have never heard of this "Tesco" company of wich you speak they have a long way to go to world dominance. So do not fear them, competition for world dominance is good I think.

Kindred
October 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM
I kind of like Tesco after that Levi thing, and they are a far better store than anything comparable over here.

At least they are aiming for only £20 a package, I doubt the software will be very good quality, but who knows. I guess I wish them luck.

.t.
October 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM
But I can get wicked software for nothing! Dudez!

beercz
October 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
Considering the fact that I have never heard of this "Tesco" company of wich you speak they have a long way to go to world dominance. So do not fear them, competition for world dominance is good I think.

Tesco's are everywhere - not just in the UK. They have branches all over the world (http://www.tescocorporate.com/page.aspx?pointerid=A8E0E60508F94A8DBA909E2ABB5F2C C7).

You think competition for world dominance is a good thing? Doesn't Microsoft compete for world dominance? I at least do not think that is is a good thing.

Kateikyoushi
October 1st, 2006, 01:59 PM
It doesn't effect me directly but I am curious what exactly are they gong to sell.

Engnome
October 1st, 2006, 02:01 PM
You think competition for world dominance is a good thing? Doesn't Microsoft compete for world dominance? I at least do not think that is is a good thing.

Well ubuntu might not struggle to dominate the world but still... we are aiming for mainstream arent we? (bug #1 :) )

The more players that are in for the battle the worse for MS plus it's less likely someone will actually maintain world dominance. It feels like MS are trying to get in and dominate just about every software market there is and for every new market they gain more enemies.

bruce89
October 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Of course, it depends what kind of software...

Lord Illidan
October 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM
To be honest, I don't really care. I dunno much about Tescos...other than it is a world famous supermarket..but all it seems they are going to do is take Formjet's software, like Ability Office, and rebrand them under Tescos' name.

BWF89
October 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM
I think it's good more companies are challenging the status quo. The more competition there is out there the better it becomes. Lets say that 70% of people who draw on their computer use Photoshop, 20% use Fireworks (these are just random percentages I made up), and 10% use GIMP/GimpShop. Now comes another program made by Tesco and some of the Photoshop users might switch to their bitmap graphics editor. Than later if no company holds a clear majority of the bitmap graphics editor maket people won't be so obsessed with Photoshop and would be more accepting of non-Adobe products like our own Gimp

mips
October 1st, 2006, 05:40 PM
If I was tesco's I would package open source software, provide manuals and flog it. The packaging, manauls, distribution cost are allowed.

punkinside
October 1st, 2006, 05:49 PM
Bah, wake me up when wal-mart starts doing it, then I'll have something to be afraid of.

beercz
October 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Bah, wake me up when wal-mart starts doing it, then I'll have something to be afraid of.

Perhaps it won't be long. Walmart owns ASDA in the UK, another big supermarket chain, 2nd only to Tesco I believe, and a direct competitor to Tesco. ASDA (i.e Walmart) in the UK sells alot of non-food stuff as well, just like Tescos.

Supermarkets competition is very strong in the UK. Just look at the amount of supermarket adverts on the TV.

punkinside
October 1st, 2006, 06:28 PM
I cant as I dont live in the UK :p never heard of Tescos.

Maybe this guy (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=269207) works there.

BWF89
October 1st, 2006, 08:46 PM
I think WalMart already has their own internet service.