PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid to use Windows.

RussianVodka
October 1st, 2006, 04:37 AM
I recently baught Windows XP Pro from my University for $7. And I'm afraid to install it.

I don't care about the viruses, I've used Windows before and never got them. I don't care that it's hard/tricky/annoying to use, I'm pretty computer savy, and after fiddling with it, I can probably set it up like I want.

The reason that I'm afraid to install it, is that I'm afraid to register it. I've gotten such a sweet deal on it, that god forbit it screws up and tells me that I have an ungenuine version, or if I have to switch computers, I will have to shell out at least another $100 just to use it again.

Has this happened to anyone else?

wieman01
October 1st, 2006, 05:05 AM
No, has not happened to me because I ditched Windows just in time. :-)

But why do you want to use Windows after all? Being a Ubuntu user you could not care less, right?

rfruth
October 1st, 2006, 05:09 AM
Use the XP CD as a Frisbee only ...

jISh
October 1st, 2006, 05:29 AM
Just don't use it? Unless you absolutely NEED it, there are likely native solutions for your needs, or at least some compatibility with WINE.

RussianVodka
October 1st, 2006, 05:33 AM
I bought it mainly because my dad said to buy it. It's cheap, and it may come in handy some day.

3rdalbum
October 1st, 2006, 06:41 AM
If I were you, I'd report your university to Microsoft. Seriously. Legitimate Windows XP Pro does not cost anyone $7, regardless of education discounts. Who knows, the university might lose its Microsoft site license and be forced to adopt Linux?

djsroknrol
October 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Isn't it a genuine copy? Why be afraid...why not use it?

I would disable any internet component I could in XP and do my online through my Linux OS.Powertoys for windows will remove the hardwired icons as well as remove other vital internet components.

This is how my MS partition is set up for my children to play their Wintendo stuff. There's no need for internet for any of their activities in MS, so why have access?

teet
October 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM
If I were you, I'd report your university to Microsoft. Seriously. Legitimate Windows XP Pro does not cost anyone $7, regardless of education discounts. Who knows, the university might lose its Microsoft site license and be forced to adopt Linux?

Microsoft cuts deals with schools all the time. I can get XP Home and Office 2003 for $67 each (still way more than the 7 bucks the original poster payed, but still way less than you could buy in stores). A lot of colleges give away windows/office for free or offer them at ridiculously low prices ($7). I assume the university is making up some of the difference.

I know a lot of people like to bash windows for their high prices and what not, but they actually are pretty good about reducing prices for educational reasons. The same goes for other major software manufacturers (e.g. adobe/macromedia).

Getting back to the original post, I wouldn't worry about installing windows. I seriously don't think you'll have any activation/validation problems. Even if you do, you should be able to just call up the microsoft hotline and fix the problem. The horror stories you read about on the internet represent a small fraction of microsoft users.

-teet

punkinside
October 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Just install it but dont let automatic updates run without your permission. If you ever see "Microsoft Genuine Advantage" there, run as fast as you can and dont look back. Otherwise you'll turn to salt ;)

Reshin
October 1st, 2006, 05:53 PM
Just install it but dont let automatic updates run without your permission. If you ever see "Microsoft Genuine Advantage" there, run as fast as you can and dont look back. Otherwise you'll turn to salt ;)

set it up so that it downloads the updates but ask your permission before installing. When it's time, take the advanced road and de-select WGA and do the updates. Next time when there's only WGA on the list, you can just unmark and check that you will not be asked to install this particular update anymore

punkinside
October 1st, 2006, 06:11 PM
set it up so that it downloads the updates but ask your permission before installing. When it's time, take the advanced road and de-select WGA and do the updates. Next time when there's only WGA on the list, you can just unmark and check that you will not be asked to install this particular update anymore

I'd be more paranoid. With windows, it never seems to "get" that you DONT WANT the update! Same with reboots, why on earth should I be reminded every F****ING 5 minutes to reboot my computer if I already told it I would do it LATER?!

So, I just dont trust windows to do things on its own (like download updates) and then be mindful of my input (dont install *this* one).

with WGA it'll probably do it anyway, no matter what you say.

Lord Illidan
October 1st, 2006, 06:18 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. Here in Malta, the government embarked on a huge deal with MS, that allowed them to sell XP + Visual Studio + MS office at the price of around...20 bucks give or take..

EDIT : And yes, this is happening to me too...

KiwiNZ
October 1st, 2006, 08:03 PM
Contact Microsoft and they will confirm if it is genuine.If it isnt genuine report it and dont use is.
Piracy is a crime and methods to circumvent are not permitted here.