PDA

View Full Version : en_GB users, what should "Trash" be called?

bruce89
September 30th, 2006, 08:45 PM
The Ubuntu-l10n-en-gb (https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-l10n-en-gb) team (of which I am a member) voted (https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-l10n-en-gb/+poll/trash-naming) (with a majority of 10 votes) to change what was called "Wastebasket" (Trash in en_US) to Deleted Items (folder) in Edgy and above. What do you think of this?

I sent an e-mail to the en-gb mailing list expressing my concerns:

First of all, I do not like the changing of Wastebasket to Deleted Items. I think that neither of them are perfect, but Wastebasket is slightly better as it is less awkward, and smaller. Also, there is a ambiguity in choosing either "Deleted items" or "Deleted items folder" for a specific string. I also think that consistency with other Linuxes is paramount. A poll of 30 people shouldn't decide a substantial change in localisation policy.

I realise that it's too late to back out of it for Edgy, but I think we should revert back to Wastebasket for Edgy+1 until a consensus is found on a better phrase (approved by gnome-uk too).

Just to clear up, the GNOME en_GB team do not approve of this change, but they are not happy with Wastebasket.

PriceChild
September 30th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm running edgy and i've still got "Trash"... i think i'm on en_GB.

Who really cares what its named :)

It still works the same... i'm sure time could be better allocated elsewhere.

Tomosaur
September 30th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I always thought Windows had it right with 'Recycle Bin' - I can re-use the files or delete them, but calling it Recycle Bin may not be possible. I don't like 'Wastebasket' personally, 'Deleted Items' sounds a lot better.

ComplexNumber
September 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM
i don't really care what its called as long as it does its job. it could be called Jolly Roger for all i care. its just a name.

Kronoz
September 30th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Rubbish
Bin
Junk
Scrap
Waste
Refuse
Recycle Bin

^ Those are my suggestions :)

bruce89
September 30th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I'm running edgy and i've still got "Trash"... i think i'm on en_GB.

What's the output of
locale

Who really cares what its named :)

Mabye I am the only person who cares about this sort of stuff. (apart from the other 30 members of the localisation team)

it could be called Jolly Roger for all i care.

I (and the other ubuntu-l10n-en-gb members) have the power to make this happen, so watch out.

PriceChild
September 30th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Ok yes i'm running en_US... DESPITE CHOOSING british in the install...

*fixes*

bruce89
September 30th, 2006, 08:56 PM

*fixes*

The early Edgys had this problem. (not from Knot-3 onwards I think)

Oops, I should have added "I don't care" choice on the poll.

PriceChild
September 30th, 2006, 09:06 PM
The early Edgys had this problem.
That'll be why :)

Think its sorted now though :)

christopherdorrell
September 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I like Rubbish Bin :)

v8YKxgHe
September 30th, 2006, 09:58 PM
yeah, Rubbish Bin!

bruce89
September 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM
yeah, Rubbish Bin!

I think it's a bit unprofessional though.

v8YKxgHe
September 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
That's what most people in the UK call it though, afaik - I've never heard anyone call it anything apart from Rubbish Bin, or just Bin - but just Bin could get confused with other Linux related things.

Edit: I wish Gnome would have a 'Recycle Bin' though - as in Windows where you can actaully restore them.

Lord Illidan
September 30th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I like Trash...and recycle bin. Deleted Items sounds v. wierd.

bruce89
September 30th, 2006, 10:06 PM
That's what most people in the UK call it though, afaik - I've never heard anyone call it anything apart from Rubbish Bin, or just Bin - but just Bin could get confused with other Linux related things.

I suppose it could, but some kind of bin would be best.

Edit: I wish Gnome would have a 'Recycle Bin' though - as in Windows where you can actaully restore them.

It does, that's what the wee orange thing in the bottom right is.

I like Trash...and recycle bin. Deleted Items sounds v. wierd.

Indeed, it looks even worse in real life.

PriceChild
September 30th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Indeed, it looks even worse in real life.
I think he means the feature where you can right click and restore to put them back exactly where they were.

Lord Illidan
September 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Indeed, it looks even worse in real life. It's confusing...because are they deleted, or are they not?

bruce89
September 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I think he means the feature where you can right click and restore to put them back exactly where they were.

Oops, GNOME bug #41850 (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41850) would be good actually.

It's confusing...because are they deleted, or are they not?

I never thought of that actually, it is odd since the files haven't actually been deleted yet. It's more of a "pending deletion" folder.

Kindred
September 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I think Rubbish Bin is fine and most appropriate to that locale. 'Deleted Items' is kind of odd..

Bree
September 30th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Recycle bin, or trash... deleted items sounds stupid.

bruce89
September 30th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I'll let the mailing list know about this thread.

Engnome
September 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Thrash (and synonyms), if it works why the hell change it?

Deleted items sounds stupid though. Changing just to change something or changing bc you want to be different are both stupid reasons to change something that people are used to.

bruce89
September 30th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Thrash (and synonyms), if it works why the hell change it?

Deleted items sounds stupid though. Changing just to change something or changing bc you want to be different are both stupid reasons to change something that people are used to.

Well, it was Wastebasket in en_GB before this. Trash isn't used in Britain very much. (If it all.)

%hMa@?b<C
September 30th, 2006, 11:04 PM
i like "rubbish"

rockbadger
October 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Deleted Items is used in many applications, and descriptive. Trash is American and not en_GB. Wastebasket is hardly a much-used term. Bin and Rubbish Bin are confusable with /bin and do not sound professional.

Deleted items/the Deleted Items folder isn't perfect but it is accurate, descriptive, professional, and en_GB, unlike the others. I'm sure it'll look totally normal once you're used to it.

mips
October 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM
List some terms used by the brits to describe a waste basket.

We just refer to the real thing as a rubbish bin.

Spano
October 1st, 2006, 05:57 PM
Auntie would like it if you called it "dustbin".

Lord Illidan
October 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Don't we have more pressing issues to argue about then how to rename dustbins?:twisted:

Parkotron
October 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM
Just to provide some reference, KDE en_GB uses "Wastebin". It's nice in that it's a single word and relatively short. "Rubbish Bin" is a very tempting option if only because it's the most obviously British out of the lot.

Anyway, I've abstained from voting because I'm a Kubuntu user from Canada who just prefers British spellings over the confused mish-mash that is "Canadian English".

ahaslam
October 1st, 2006, 10:31 PM
I'd like to see it called the '****' or 'Crap' folder. Doubting that this would ever happen, I'd rather go with 'Trash' - the others sound poncy.

Tony.

mips
October 1st, 2006, 10:41 PM
Anyway, I've abstained from voting because I'm a Kubuntu user from Canada who just prefers British spellings over the confused mish-mash that is "Canadian English".

Why not use the british language then ? I use KDE and my language preference is en_gb. I have the en_za and us installed as well but prefer the queens english ;)

bruce89
October 2nd, 2006, 09:01 PM
Deleted Items is used in many applications, and descriptive. Trash is American and not en_GB. Wastebasket is hardly a much-used term. Bin and Rubbish Bin are confusable with /bin and do not sound professional.

I realise that wastebasket is also not much good, but IMHO, Deleted Items is too longwinded.

I'd like to see it called the '****' or 'Crap' folder. Doubting that this would ever happen, I'd rather go with 'Trash' - the others sound poncy.

Tony.

That's American TV for you. I think it would be interesting calling it the Crap Folder.

Xaviar
October 10th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I would have chosen "bin" but for the binary file association. Of the available options I chose “rubbish bin”, I don't think it sounds particularly poncey but perhaps simply calling it “rubbish” would suffice.

Erik Trybom
October 10th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I say "deleted items". Better yet, "deleted files". The desktop metaphore is awkward to begin with and the less we see of it, the better. Linux philosophy has always been to acknowledge that everything is a file, and I think that's a good idea. Calling stuff by different names is probably one of the least effective ways to make things more user-friendly.

cunawarit
October 10th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Personally, I like Trash...

American English is used all over computing, you don’t change/override methods in order to accommodate British spelling like colour, do you? Well, some people do, but it is rather anal.

So Trash.

Xaviar
October 10th, 2006, 12:06 PM
American English is used all over computing, you don’t change/override methods in order to accommodate British spelling like colour, do you? Well, some people do, but it is rather anal.

I do prefer that my computer correctly spells colour (and programme too for that matter but that's my personal preference). The whole point of the en_GB project, as I understand it, is specifically to accommodate the proper (British) spelling of the English language as spoken and written in many nations outside of the USA even if that does seem rather...shall we say...particular.

Erik Trybom makes an interesting point about escaping from the “desktop” connotations. I would be interested in seeing some more suggestions along those lines.

argie
October 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I like dustbin :)

corstar
October 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Landfill.
The BINary

richbarna
October 10th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I like "Trash" because it is short, even though it's not British English. How about "Recycled" ? I don't know, anything that is only one word is cool.

insane_alien
October 10th, 2006, 06:58 PM
i vote for bin. short and to the point. othing i put in there ever ever comes out.

ice60
October 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM
i usually rename mine to 'rubbish' with out the '' but at the moment i've called it '"Recycle Bin"' with out the '', but with the "" :rolleyes: but i know that's really unfunny.

i think from the options Rubbish Bin is by far the best.

i've never met anyone from where i live who says Garbage Bin or Trash.

i live in London, don't know if you wanted to know that lol

bruce89
October 11th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Yes, I am one of 31 members of the Ubuntu en_GB localisation team.

GNOME (upstream) itself is 99.51% translated into en_GB.

petersjm
October 11th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Forgive me, but I'm not sure I actually see the point in changing the name of it. The en-GB version (6.06) I have calls it Wastebasket I think (?). I know what a wastebasket is. I also know what a Trash Can is, too. It's not as though it's all that confusing. Let's face it, for the most part, people will have grown up with having some sort of "place to dispose of unwanted files" (whatever you want to call it) on their computers and no matter the name, it does the same thing... I can see the point in changing spellings (colour/color, grey/gray, etc) but not whole words...

Brynster
October 11th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Is it that important?

cunawarit
October 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Yes, I am one of 31 members of the Ubuntu en_GB localisation team.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offense.

It simply is not something that bothers me, my mother tongue is Spanish, and I hate using Windows or any other OS in Spanish. Similarly, even though I was educated in England and I live in England, it doesn’t bother me if it is called trashcan or wastebasket. Just like it doesn't bother me that programming languages are in English and not Spanish.

As for proper spelling, who is it to say that British English is “proper” and American isn’t. Similarly with South American Castilian and Spanish Castilian. We all understand each other, trashcan/wastebasket, ordenador/computador...

PriceChild
October 11th, 2006, 04:44 PM
who is it to say that British English is “proper” and American isn’t.Well we invented it ;) Sorry....

Anyway... I think it is important to use local sayings in each. I've got nothing against Americans, but to me it just lacks polish when I see american spellings on my British install.

bruce89
October 12th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry about bumping this, I only get daily alerts.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offense.

None taken.

It simply is not something that bothers me, my mother tongue is Spanish, and I hate using Windows or any other OS in Spanish. Similarly, even though I was educated in England and I live in England, it doesn’t bother me if it is called trashcan or wastebasket. Just like it doesn't bother me that programming languages are in English and not Spanish.

As for proper spelling, who is it to say that British English is “proper” and American isn’t. Similarly with South American Castilian and Spanish Castilian. We all understand each other, trashcan/wastebasket, ordenador/computador...

I have always thought the advantage of Free Software is that much of it is translated into a variety of languages, even varients of the same language. For instance, Windows has "Favorites", and even MS Office has "colors". They haven't bothered with a en_GB localisation, but I suppose most people don't really care about having one. I think it is important as (some) people will see "favorite" on their computer, and think that is how it is spelt over here. It's a similar thing with foreign television, such as Neighbours and their "going up at the end of a sentence".

Well we invented it ;) Sorry....

Anyway... I think it is important to use local sayings in each. I've got nothing against Americans, but to me it just lacks polish when I see american spellings on my British install.
Indeed, it shows that people care about British spellings on Free Software. In fact, I was so fed up with APT's "Initializing", I translated the whole package in Rosetta, and now it says "Initialising".

My Name
October 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
dustbin dustbin dustbin

It's got to be dustbin.

I think there should be a Northern version of ubuntu

Firefox could be called 'tinternet... things like that:mrgreen:

bruce89
October 12th, 2006, 05:12 PM
dustbin dustbin dustbin

It's got to be dustbin.

I think there should be a Northern version of ubuntu

Firefox could be called 'tinternet... things like that:mrgreen:

Or indeed a 'weegie version, I did that myself actually. - http://www.auer37.dsl.pipex.com/Ubuntu.pdf

Bree
October 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Or indeed a 'weegie version, I did that myself actually. - http://www.auer37.dsl.pipex.com/Ubuntu.pdf

LMAO "jakey alert"
Love it!
:KS

man-man
October 12th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Has anyone suggested "Sack o' Crap"?
If not, I'd like to :mrgreen:

or "Place to put files that are no longer wanted and are pending deletion"
its nice and concise

or the "Virtual toilet paper" folder?

Rackerz
October 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Sack o Crap sounds good. If that fails, which I'm sure it will, let's go for Rubbish Bin. It's more or less what us brits like to call it.

lapsey
October 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM
the only things that have meaning to me are Trash and Deleted Items, and the latter is too wordy. 'Rubbish' is misleading

bruce89
October 12th, 2006, 10:54 PM
It doesn't matter what anyone says now, it is staying as "Deleted Items", even if I do hate it.

Koori23
October 13th, 2006, 02:38 AM
I kinda like Anthony's idea.. Instead of saying something is "deleted" you just say it was shitcanned.. That makes you feel good saying that.

All joking aside, I believe it should be called "File 13" or "Deep 6", if either of those don't strike you.. I vote for Rubbish Bin, it'll be the first of it's kind in the computing world.

My Name
October 13th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Just thought.... what about "folder 101" or something like that

Yeah ok thats crap

Mez
October 21st, 2006, 05:07 AM
Birmingham ? :P

(dont worry - I live there!)

John T. Monkey
October 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
Not too bothered what it's called, but I think I've been used to "Trash" since SUSE 9.1. (That and recycle bin in Windows...)
I'm happy with calling it "Trash". Short and to the point.

On the other hand, whether or not it sounds more awkward than the alternatives, maybe "Deleted items folder" most accurately describes what it is?

Also, I don't really use a real bin, or my actual recycling bin in the same way as you would the "Deleted items folder" anyway. I don't often pick things back out of the bin.

EDIT: I vote Folder 101! That's brilliant!

ixus_123
October 21st, 2006, 12:19 PM
I'm a uk user - trash is fine for me.

None of the double barrel names please - I want something short & easy to type. Trash is fine even though it's not a word really used in England we have all seen enough American TV to know what it is.

Old Pink
October 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM
I vote "Trash", with my second choice being "Wastebasket". :)

"Rubbish Bin" has the most votes, but that sounds worse than anything! :|

asimon
October 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM
The Ubuntu-l10n-en-gb (https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-l10n-en-gb) team (of which I am a member) voted (https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-l10n-en-gb/+poll/trash-naming) (with a majority of 10 votes) to change what was called "Wastebasket" (Trash in en_US) to Deleted Items (folder) in Edgy and above. What do you think of this?

I think that the Ubuntu translators should use the exact same translation as the upstream translators and should not use another name. Further I think that if the Ubuntu Translators don't like the upstream translation they should discuss things with upstream and change it there.

BTW, upstream KDE calles it "Wastebin" in en_GB, I dunno know what Gnome uses.

Abiezer
October 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'd have gone with 'dustbin' too.
Or maybe 'bin man'. It could have a feature where if you don't tip it at Christmas it scatters deleted files all over your desktops.

bruenig
October 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
Calling it trash is kind of stupid. Since it is a folder, I don't see why analogies have to be made to physical things such as trash or wastebasket. People will understand what a deleted items folder is just as much as when you call it trash. Why dumb it down when it isn't necessary.

.t.
October 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM
The problem is, things that are sent to the "Deleted Items folder" aren't really deleted. That's what comes next...

bruce89
October 22nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
I think that the Ubuntu translators should use the exact same translation as the upstream translators and should not use another name. Further I think that if the Ubuntu Translators don't like the upstream translation they should discuss things with upstream and change it there.

BTW, upstream KDE calles it "Wastebin" in en_GB, I dunno know what Gnome uses.

GNOME call it the "Wastebasket".

The team didn't even notify upstream until after the decision was made (actually, only when I moaned on the mailing list), and GNOME didn't like it much.

Footissimo
October 22nd, 2006, 02:02 PM
Dustbin for me

Sunnz
October 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
Rubbish Bin. Really, what's so unprofessional about it?

Spano
October 22nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
Or maybe 'bin man'. It could have a feature where if you don't tip it at Christmas it scatters deleted files all over your desktops.
LOL
And bruce89 - Ubuntu 'Weegie edition is brilliant!

petersjm
October 23rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
I think Deleted Items is fine. And anyway, what's a "wastebasket"? Shouldn't it have been "waste-paper basket"? And Windows' "Recycle Bin" is kind of accurate, is it not? It's where you put files for recycling the space they take up on your HD...

Carrots171
October 23rd, 2006, 10:26 AM
I don't care. Does calling it "Wastebasket" instead of "Trash" really make a difference? It's a trivial argument and the developers should concentrate on more important things.

bruce89
October 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM
LOL
And bruce89 - Ubuntu 'Weegie edition is brilliant!

Thanks, I hope to update it for Edgy at some point.

I don't care. Does calling it "Wastebasket" instead of "Trash" really make a difference? It's a trivial argument and the developers should concentrate on more important things.

The developers don't bother with this, the Ubuntu-l10n team are just a bunch of interested volenteers (i.e. not getting paid).

archis
November 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM
A rejoinder to those who think this thread is a waste (pun intended) of time:

I suppose we are all familiar with Apple's idiosyncrasies on the Wastebasket / Trash Can front? Like the upheaval caused by Apple's decision to rename the OS X (en_gb) Wastebasket "Trash" and then have their icon designers redraw the Trash Can as a Wastebasket (http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/opinion/index.cfm?articleid=180&pagtype=samecat) immediately afterwards? Or how they took out a patent on the "Trash Can" in February of 2003 (http://www.theregister.com/2003/03/06/apple_thanks_microsoft_for_inventing/) while thanking Microsoft for inventing it?! Or when Apple decided that English people actually spoke “International English” as opposed to “English”, which is supposedly spoken by Americans?

Anyway, I know I'm late to the party, but here's my 2p:

Deleted Items is really confusing from a usability standpoint. You really want to use a descriptor that corresponds with the graphical user interface and with the icon on almost everybody's desktop. The idea always was - and still is - that you 'move' something into some sort of basket or bin. What you need to designate is the thing - the wastebasket / trash can / rubbish bin - and not what's in it.

Deleted Items Folder is a disgrace. Please, don't be silly. Be proud!

Bin would be confusing, I agree.

Trash is neat because its short, but its just not used here. So unless you agree with Apple's bizarre notions or think there shouldn't be any en_gb localization at all, that's just not the way to go.

Recycle Bin, unlike "Trash Can", truly was invented by Microsoft. And it's stupid. Can anyone please explain to me what on earth recycling has to do with deleting files on a computer?! I rest my case.

Rubbish Bin. Yay! That sounds about right to me.

megamania
November 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I suggest "the icon formerly known as trash".

mediax
November 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
When I was refitting our house recently, I found the easiest way to get rid of the waste was to . . .

throw it out of the *window*

Honest!

bruce89
November 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM
throw it out of the *window*

Hopefully to be placed in a waste receptacle later.

Or when Apple decided that English people actually spoke “International English” as opposed to “English”, which is supposedly spoken by Americans?

Blooming 'eck, I thought English was invented in England, so surely en_GB should be standard "English", whereas the bizarre mess of American et al. should be "International English".

Anyway, I know I'm late to the party, but here's my 2p:

Better late than never.

Deleted Items is really confusing from a usability standpoint. You really want to use a descriptor that corresponds with the graphical user interface and with the icon on almost everybody's desktop. The idea always was - and still is - that you 'move' something into some sort of basket or bin. What you need to designate is the thing - the wastebasket / trash can / rubbish bin - and not what's in it.

Deleted Items Folder is a disgrace. Please, don't be silly. Be proud!

Well, all instances of Wastebasket are now Deleted Items, or Deleted Items folder in Edgy. I didn't do that personally though.

So unless you agree with Apple's bizarre notions or think there shouldn't be any en_gb localization at all, that's just not the way to go.

Surely you mean "localisation"? In fact, I filed a bug in eog in GNOME's Bugzilla about the use of the phrase "Counter Clockwise", which should be "Anti-clockwise". One of the developers was a bit hostile about the fact that a en_GB localisation should even exist.

dbbolton
November 28th, 2006, 06:48 PM
how about Refuse Recepticle

creaturex
November 29th, 2006, 02:22 AM
I don't erally mind what it's called as long as it actually pertains to its intended puspose. For example I think recycle bin was the worst name because it makes it sound like all the files are going to be removed and reused, when after I hit the 5 buttons (fewer in linux, but still) to make my program/document/picture/whatever disappear, I was pretty sure that I actually wanted it gone.
If possible though I'd like to be able to rename it what I want.

Peyton
November 29th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Blooming 'eck, I thought English was invented in England, so surely en_GB should be standard "English", whereas the bizarre mess of American et al. should be "International English".
American English is, as far as I know, confined to America.

viciouslime
December 13th, 2006, 12:36 AM
American English is, as far as I know, confined to America.

Exactly, so there should only be two forms. American English and English. English being spoken in England, Canada, Australia, etc. and so being International English, but simply referred to as English.

firenewt
December 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I don't know about you but I always change the name to Crapper and make the icon a toilet.

Sunnz
December 13th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Nice, which toilet icon do you use?

Christmas
December 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I think Wastebasket sounds best for En_GB. I don't know exactly
why, but "basket" sounds more British than "bin" to me.

steven8
December 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM
How about "The Folder of no Return"

lwr
December 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
What about different 'bins' with different names depending on how big the file is? You could have wastebasket for small documents, wheelie for slightly larger items, and massive files could go in the skip.
Rubbish Bin's not a bad idea. It could be abreviated by the user to 'rubbish' or 'bin'. I'm not a fan of the word trash.

Eddie Wilson
December 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Deleted Items Folder doesn't seem proper to me. If you delete something isn't it gone? When I get rid of Trash, I don't want it back. Could we name it anything we want to?:twisted:
Eddie

bailout
December 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM
What about different 'bins' with different names depending on how big the file is? You could have wastebasket for small documents, wheelie for slightly larger items, and massive files could go in the skip.

Perhaps it could also be set that you can only empty the 'bin' on a certain day of the week? Or we could have a 'canal' extension for getting rid of stuff on other days.

I think 'bin' would be best if it wasn't for the possible confusion with bin files as 'bin' can also be a verb ie bin a file.

On balance probably just 'Rubbish' is the best fit.

What is annoying me at the moment with locale is that having selected my location as UK when installing I still have the default US locale for settings like date format, currency etc unless I change it myself.

technodigifreak
December 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I'm sure time could be better allocated elsewhere.

That's it. Time could be better spent elsewhere instead of splitting hairs. What a load of rubbish. :D

I always thought Windows had it right with 'Recycle Bin' - I can re-use the files or delete them, but calling it Recycle Bin may not be possible. I don't like 'Wastebasket' personally, 'Deleted Items' sounds a lot better.

Recycle Bin is a very big problem in Windows. Regular (non-power) users sometimes store important items in their Recycle Bin. That's right, important stuff in a folder that is really for Trash! I've wiped out more than a few users "irreplacable"(sp?) files, by simply by emptying the Recycle Bin. When you ask them why they would do such a stupid thing, they reply, "because it doesn't count against my disk quota." ARGH!!!! ](*,) It got to the point that at one company we had to send out a memo to all of the users to stop doing it, and that any files lost would not be tech support's responsibility. It needs to be called Trash, because only Trash goes in there.

bailout
December 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM
It needs to be called Trash, because only Trash goes in there.

Completely missing the point of the thread ;)

bruce89
December 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM
English being spoken in England...

What language do we speak in Scotland, never mind Wales or Northern Ireland then?

DoctorMO
December 13th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I thought it was Scotts, Welsh and Celtic for all those 'other' places ;-)

'Rubbish bin' is what it is, if anyone votes for Trash then they should stop using en_GB or just not vote when they use en_US or damn well be shipped back to the USA where they obviously belong.

This isn't about what is best for all English speakers but what is best for all _real_ English speakers.

bruce89
December 14th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I thought it was Scotts, Welsh and Celtic for all those 'other' places ;-)

Scotland, Wales and Ireland's language is English, but some Scottish speak Scottish Gaelic (mostly in the Western Isles), some Welsh people speak Welsh and some Irish speak Irish Gaelic. Of course the English spoken in Scotland has some other words added from Scots. [Dreich (wet and windy, good for our weather), gie (very), awfy (awfully), aye (yes), bairn (baby) etc.]

talbain
December 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM
yeah, Rubbish Bin!

me too

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 09:59 AM
I still stand by "The Folder of no Return!"

LookTJ
December 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM
Does it really matter what it's called?

To me, I don't care about names.

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 10:02 AM
To me, I don't care about names.

Well said, Bob! :-)

talbain
December 21st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Is it too hard to add a function to name it whatever u like?
I'd like mine to be "Bloody Rubbish Bin"... in a spanish desktop locale with japanese input enabled.

bigken
December 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM
crap box :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

steven8
December 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
crap box

Oh yeah!!

xpod
December 21st, 2006, 10:41 AM
Scotland, Wales and Ireland's language is English, but some Scottish speak Scottish Gaelic (mostly in the Western Isles), some Welsh people speak Welsh and some Irish speak Irish Gaelic. Of course the English spoken in Scotland has some other words added from Scots. [Dreich (wet and windy, good for our weather), gie (very), awfy (awfully), aye (yes), bairn (baby) etc.]

And "middens" (trash):mrgreen:

Sunnz
December 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM
I still stand by "The Folder of no Return!"
But... you CAN return!!!

BarfBag
December 21st, 2006, 06:24 PM
I kinda prefer Trash. Don't ask me why. I just do. :-k

hoagie
December 21st, 2006, 06:34 PM
Deleted Items. I don't really mind however I would if it was named Jly Rogers.

Docter
April 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Excellent. I was going to start this thread but it appears what I possess in good intentions I may lack in originality.

ahem

"Rubbish Bin" is what I voted for. "Deleted Items Folder" is also good. English is a rich and colourful language and should be employed with aplomb to embiggen us all with it's cromuient usage ;). (the damned spell-checker just underlined "colourful")

kragen
April 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Why is the recycle bin still around anyway? Surely deleted files should be recoverable right upto the point where they are overwritten, with the ability to overwrite the data prematurely for users who are privacy conscious.

user1397
April 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM
I always thought Windows had it right with 'Recycle Bin' - I can re-use the files or delete them, but calling it Recycle Bin may not be possible. I don't like 'Wastebasket' personally, 'Deleted Items' sounds a lot better.well technically, re-using is not the same as recycling...therefore the correct name would be the "Reuse Bin" or else the "Warehouse" because deleted files are stored there and can be retrieved if needed.

just pointing it out, not being very serious with this post, so don't go too crazy on me!

bruce89
April 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
(the damned spell-checker just underlined "colourful")

Assuming you are using a Gecko-based browser:

about:config > spellchecker.dictionary, change to en_GB.

Myrgen
May 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM

*fixes*

er.. I just ran 'locale' too, and discovered I'm on en_AU despite choosing British.. but I have no clue how to fix it.. Anyone can help please? :)

brim4brim
May 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I think a lot of non-GB using people voted in this poll.

Recycle bin is perfect but I don't mind bin.

Options that are not okay with me are listed below:
Wastebasket
Garbage Bin
Trash

Those are all very American ways of saying it.

Lucifiel
May 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Mine's called Trash and I'm on en_SG.UTF-8.

How about Nuke it or Ditch it? :p

b0ng0
May 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Bin or Rubbish Bin. I never much liked Recycle Bin since it sounds sort of tarded.

Outrunner
May 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I didn't vote. That's such a minor detail that you probably won't even notice it much.

bruce89
May 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM
er.. I just ran 'locale' too, and discovered I'm on en_AU despite choosing British.. but I have no clue how to fix it.. Anyone can help please? :)

How'd you manage that?

Anyway, when the GDM login screen comes up -> Options>Select Language...>English (UK) is a graphical way of fixing it.

en_AU is almost identical to en_GB anyway.

MarkX
May 12th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Dustbin

Actually, while you're there please change all the other yankisms, like "Buddy".
I think most english speakers around the world (as a 2nd language) use brit queens english so englishGB should be the default.

starcraft.man
May 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I think I'll stick with trash, no point changing anything thats not broken (for a bad example of renaming everything thats not broken, look at Vista) >.>

Myrgen
May 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM
How'd you manage that?

Anyway, when the GDM login screen comes up -> Options>Select Language...>English (UK) is a graphical way of fixing it.

en_AU is almost identical to en_GB anyway.

No idea how I manage that, but when I ran what you suggested, I got the message that all the language packs weren't installed, asking me if I wanted to install them. I did, and since, I'm on en_GB, woohoo!!.. Thanks a million :)

MarkX
May 13th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I think half the terms could do with making clearer. I think Linux suppositories should be called "Program libraries".

Docter
May 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think you'll find that they're called "repositories".

You stick suppositories up your butt.

Thus it is proved.

MarkX
May 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I think you'll find that they're called "repositories".

You stick suppositories up your butt.

Thus it is proved.

I know, that's why I used the word. It's the meaning it evokes. I'd like it to see it changed to "program library".

Jhongy
May 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
God God, ANYTHING but "Trash" please. One of the things I really appreciate about Ubuntu is the fact that it is properly localised... Not a single person in the UK would refer to rubbish as 'trash'. If I want Americanisms, I'll pick en_US.

'Wastebasket' is fine... it's used often enough. However, 'rubbish bin' is probably better.

Want to get rid of the desktop paradigm? Then how about "file limbo"?!

JC_510
May 13th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Im from the UK, and we just call trash cans 'the bin', but this could get confused with other 'bins' in computer systems.

The stuff that we actually put in the bin is called 'rubbish'.

My opinion would be to simply call it 'rubbish'.

I think fewer words would be better. For example, even though im not keen on 'Deleted Items folder', id just call it 'Deleted', or 'Deleted Items'.

My two pence ;)

EDIT: I definately agree with the post above; NOT 'Trash'!!!

DUDE_2000
May 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I like rubbish, or rubbish bin

Or you could have something weirder like "Black Hole Portal" with, instead of an Empty rubbish button you could have an Activate Portal button

bruce89
May 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Sorry for the bumping.

I know, that's why I used the word. It's the meaning it evokes. I'd like it to see it changed to "program library".

This would get confused with real libraries such as libpng.

Dustbin

Actually, while you're there please change all the other yankisms, like "Buddy".
I think most english speakers around the world (as a 2nd language) use brit queens english so englishGB should be the default.

That's not a bad idea. I'll suggest it to the team after my exams. (Thursday at the earliest.)

As for your second statement, this is very true, and I like Free Software because of the please the people who use the software approach as opposed to pleasing the shareholders one.

PartisanEntity
May 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I would prefer "Bin for files that weren't good and had to go"

Keith Hedger
May 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I prefer wastebasket (its indoors a rubbish bin would be out doors) also its one word personally I hate the change to "deleted items"

PartisanEntity
May 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I have an even better idea: Byte Heaven or The Afterfile

MarkX
May 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=bruce89;2654102]Sorry for the bumping.

This would get confused with real libraries such as libpng.

But.... "libpng" (????) Isn't called "program library" either....

That's not a bad idea. I'll suggest it to the team after my exams. (Thursday at the earliest.)

As for your second statement, this is very true, and I like Free Software because of the please the people who use the software approach as opposed to pleasing the shareholders one.

Hooray!

MarkX
May 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Im from the UK, and we just call trash cans 'the bin', but this could get confused with other 'bins' in computer systems.

The stuff that we actually put in the bin is called 'rubbish'.

My opinion would be to simply call it 'rubbish'.

I think fewer words would be better. For example, even though im not keen on 'Deleted Items folder', id just call it 'Deleted', or 'Deleted Items'.

My two pence ;)

EDIT: I definately agree with the post above; NOT 'Trash'!!!

We also call it the DUSTBIN

JC_510
May 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM
We also call it the DUSTBIN

I'd stay away from any 'bin' for reasons stated

Enverex
May 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
"Trash Can" because it's reminiscent of the Amiga days ;)

RichJacot
May 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Does it really matter?

Keith Hedger
May 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM
No it dont matter but its FUN!:)

MarkX
May 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Does it really matter?

Does to me. I don't like yankish perversions of the english language. It's bad enough yank sites thinking the whole web is for americans by americans.

mips
May 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I will be happy to use whatever term you you come up with. Over here we use 'rubbish bin'.

Amiga nostalgia is one thing but I can get over it :)