PDA

View Full Version : prevu: Automated personal backporter

jdong
September 30th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I got bored this morning and wrote "prevu", a fully automated backporting script. It allows you to build your own backports right on your own computer, with a single command. prevu uses pbuilder and apt-get source to do its work, and generates fully dapper-backports compliant packages.
Development is done on launchpad at: https://launchpad.net/products/prevu

Getting prevu
Download built debs from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125877&package_id=206140&release_id=451774

Or, advanced users may go to Launchpad and use bzr to check out the latest development snapshot.

First time setup
Run sudo prevu-init. This creates the prevu build environment at /var/cache/prevu. This command needs to download packages from archive.ubuntu.com, and may take some time.

Also, you need to add a deb-src line for Edgy, such as

deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy main restricted universe multiverse

Make sure you do deb-src and not just deb! That'll upgrade your system to Edgy!

Keeping prevu updated
Periodically run sudo prevu-update. This performs an update / dist-upgrade of your build environment.

Usage
Run sudo prevu packagename. For example, prevu ktorrent. Prevu will confirm the action with you by showing you what version it intends to backport. If you accept, it'll build and put the resulting debs in /var/cache/prevu/debs. You can use gdebi/dpkg to install those. Source packages are also generated if you intend on distributing the debs.

Advanced Usage
Running prevu with no arguments is just like running pdebuild with no arguments. In other words, you can extract your own sources, change into that directory, then issue prevu. Prevu will put a backport version trailer and build in its build environment.

Known Issues
Prevu is rough in the UI department. It lacks descriptive errors and often relies on Python exceptions to do error handling. I will add more meaningful error messages soon.

You need to be in the admin group to run prevu. Root access is needed to chroot in the the build environment. Root privileges are, however, dropped in the build environment for security reasons.

Reporting bugs
File bugs on launchpad: https://launchpad.net/products/prevu/+filebug

Disclaimers
* Prevu has been hard-coded to build for Dapper. You may use it on Edgy, but it'll still make packages for Dapper
* Backported packages may have bugs from the development version. Proceed at your own risk.
* Backported packages may not be compatible with Dapper due to Edgy-specific changes.
* Backported packages are not supported by Canonical or Ubuntu developers. Please do not ask them for help regarding prevu or prevu-generated packages! File bugs in prevu instead!
* Careful backporting from non-Ubuntu repositories. It may work, it may not work. Have fun!

jdong
September 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM
If you downloaded it recently, please redownload. I had to add a few more dependencies, such as fakeroot, dpkg-dev.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
September 30th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Very cool. I will try this when I am back on Ubuntu. So this is just like an actual repository ? Others can use it ?

jdong
September 30th, 2006, 07:44 PM
It's not a "repository", it recompiles Edgy sources (or Debian Sid sources), whatever, into Dapper binaries, just like what the Backports project does.

This allows you to generate your own debs for packages that were rejected as backports requests, etc.

matthew
September 30th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I've downloaded it and am running 'sudo prevu-init' right now. If I run into any bugs I'll post them on Launchpad. Thanks for doing this, jdong!

balloons
October 3rd, 2006, 03:18 AM
Well I was first to download prevu_0.2.2-3_all.deb. :-D

Funny I was working on this myself LAST night. Trying to build automate building a few packages from sources. Guess I don't have to finish now. THANKS!

TheMono
October 3rd, 2006, 03:28 AM
Wow. This sounds great for people that want to stick with 'stable' dapper but still may want new versions of software.

So after you do this, it just leaves you with a deb package that will work in any dapper installation - ie, I could do this and then install the deb on a flatmates machine too?

balloons
October 3rd, 2006, 04:36 AM
yep the debs are in /var/cache/prevu/debs. You can use gdebi/dpkg to install them on any dapper machine. I'm upping my gnome to 2.16 this way.

Iandefor
October 3rd, 2006, 04:50 AM
Thanks so much, jdong! Just what the doctor ordered.

jdong
October 3rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
BTW, I've yet to mention this in this thread (don't know if you guys stumbled on this yet), but /var/cache/prevu/debs is actually an APT repository with recent releases of prevu. (You need to run a sudo prevu-update before the Packages file regenerates properly though. Sorry. that's been fixed in the newest update, too, for new users)

Simply add

deb file:/var/cache/prevu/debs ./

to sources.list, and you can use APT to help you install new backports. Useful if you're being a daredevil and backporting an entire stack of packages and don't want to use dpkg to deal with 30 packages :D

byteshack
October 18th, 2006, 02:50 AM
What are the dependencies for prevu? What command can I issue against the .deb to figure that out?

thk
December 18th, 2006, 05:08 PM
This is a terrific tool. Thanks.

The problem I have is that I want to build packages that build against prevu-backported packages. The backported packages show up in the chroot environment in /var/cache/prevu/edgy-debs/, but do not get installed when I want to build other packages that list them as dependencies. Instead, prevu grabs the -dev packages from edgy and builds against them. That means I cannot install both the backported -dev packages and the backported packages depending on the -dev packages because the packages that depend on the backported -dev packages get built against the edgy versions, not the prevu versions. Anyone know a fix?

Do I need to use apt options to force installation of the local prevu-backported -dev packages?

Also, quick question. Does callling "prevu-init" a second time reset the entire chroot environment?

jdong
December 18th, 2006, 08:22 PM
(1) To make prevu aware of its built packages, like -dev packages, you need to run a prevu-update after you've built all the -dev packages

(2) The only way to 'force' a page to install within prevu is to list it in Build-Depends of debian/control.

(3) Yes, running a prevu-init will rebuild the /var/cache/prevu/$distro.tgz file, which basically recreates the build environment.

thk
December 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM
(1) To make prevu aware of its built packages, like -dev packages, you need to run a prevu-update after you've built all the -dev packages

The problem turned out to be different from what I thought it was. I did use prevu-update, and I think the package was in fact being built against the -dev packages.

The problem was installing on other machines through apt-get. I exported /var/cache/prevu/edgy-debs via apache and put a source line on other machines to pull from the repository. That works nicely. For some reason however, one of the packages I built with prevu was invisible to apt-get. That package (qgis) has the same version in fiesty as in edgy. Nothing I did could convince apt-get to install the prevu built version. I had to force things by manually copying and dpkg -i. It appears that when apt-get sees two packages with the same version information, it drops the latter one. At least that's the best I can come up with.

If anyone knows of a solution, I'd be happy to hear it.

JurB
December 18th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for this great tool!

i've got a problem backporting bmpx (from their edgy repo)

-> Considering libcairomm-1.0-dev (>= 1.2)
W: Unable to locate package libcairomm-1.0-dev
E: No packages found
Tried versions:
-> Does not satisfy version, not trying
E: Could not satisfy build-dependency.
E: pbuilder-satisfydepends failed.
Copying back the cached apt archive contents
-> unmounting dev/pts filesystem
-> unmounting proc filesystem
-> unmounting /var/cache/prevu/debs filesystem
-> cleaning the build env
-> removing directory /var/cache/prevu/builds/9918 and its subdirectories
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/prevu", line 78, in ?
do_build()
File "/usr/bin/prevu", line 50, in do_build
raise ValueError("Build failed.")
ValueError: Build failed.

How do i go about fixing this?

tnx

JurB
December 20th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Never mind, i gave in and upgraded to Edgy :rolleyes:

jdong
December 20th, 2006, 12:57 AM
The problem turned out to be different from what I thought it was. I did use prevu-update, and I think the package was in fact being built against the -dev packages.

The problem was installing on other machines through apt-get. I exported /var/cache/prevu/edgy-debs via apache and put a source line on other machines to pull from the repository. That works nicely. For some reason however, one of the packages I built with prevu was invisible to apt-get. That package (qgis) has the same version in fiesty as in edgy. Nothing I did could convince apt-get to install the prevu built version. I had to force things by manually copying and dpkg -i. It appears that when apt-get sees two packages with the same version information, it drops the latter one. At least that's the best I can come up with.

If anyone knows of a solution, I'd be happy to hear it.

If you backport a package that's the same version that you already can install from the repos, then yeah, it won't work. Backported packages are designed to be overridden by repository packages @ the same version... I guess I still don't understand why you're backporting qgis from feisty to edgy if both have the same version?

thk
December 20th, 2006, 04:31 AM
If you backport a package that's the same version that you already can install from the repos, then yeah, it won't work. Backported packages are designed to be overridden by repository packages @ the same version... I guess I still don't understand why you're backporting qgis from feisty to edgy if both have the same version?

I backported libgdal to get version 1.3.2 which I need for running rgdal, a package for R. (I also backported R to 2.4.0.) If I install qgis from the main repositories, it tries to downgrade libgdal to 1.3.1, the version in Edgy. So I built a qgis deb against the backported libgdal. Same version of qgis, but built against different library versions. Works great if I manually install qgis. Would be even better if I could figure out how to get apt to install the backported version. What about a prevu switch which would allow one to increment the version so that apt will pull the backported version?

jdong
December 20th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Increment the version itself, like by editing debian/changelog and append +1build1 to the version number.

thk
December 20th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Increment the version itself, like by editing debian/changelog and append +1build1 to the version number.
Is this a question or a suggestion?

jdong
December 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM
That is the answer to your problem. That forces your rebuild to register as an upgrade instead of a downgrade.

thk
December 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
That is the answer to your problem. That forces your rebuild to register as an upgrade instead of a downgrade.
Does the changelog exist cached somewhere in the chroot environment? Or do I need to download and unpack the source package and then use dpkg-buildpackge or something similar?

jdong
December 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Does the changelog exist cached somewhere in the chroot environment? Or do I need to download and unpack the source package and then use dpkg-buildpackge or something similar?

You need to download and unpack the source.... prevu cleans out the temporary build materials between builds to avoid clogging up your HD.

But instead of where you'd issue dpkg-buildpackage to build a package, issue prevu (with no arguments). It's a drop-in replacement for dpkg-buildpackage or debuild.

thk
December 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM
You need to download and unpack the source.... prevu cleans out the temporary build materials between builds to avoid clogging up your HD.

But instead of where you'd issue dpkg-buildpackage to build a package, issue prevu (with no arguments). It's a drop-in replacement for dpkg-buildpackage or debuild.
OK. Last question. Do I unpack the downloaded source package in the prevu chroot environment (ie after calling prevu-chroot) or in the base file system?

jdong
December 20th, 2006, 08:42 PM
OK. Last question. Do I unpack the downloaded source package in the prevu chroot environment (ie after calling prevu-chroot) or in the base file system?

The base filesystem is fine. Once you issue the prevu command, prevu will make a copy of the present directory to /var/cache/prevu/src/<tmpdir> and build as if the source came from apt-get source.