PDA

View Full Version : Open source hardware drivers

alecjw
September 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM
When you're buying new hardware for your computer, it very rarely ways that it works with linux, so you have to go home and check in forums or wikis. A terrible inconveinience. It almost always says whether it works with windoze or not, and sometimes wheter it works with mac, but almost never Linux.
Have a look at a picture of a box from a wirless card which i've attached (box.jpg). Notice "Designed for Windoze XP". It isn't. Ralink (the makers of the chipset) ship Windoze, Open Source Linux drivers and Mac drivers on their website.

So, here's my proposal: A universal "Open Source Drivers Available" logo. I've attached a few ideas. (osd.zip).
It's supposed to be a microchip with the Open Source logo(http://www.opensource.org/trademarks/opensource/web/opensource-110x95.png) on it, but I can't draw! My favourite is osd-opensource.bmp, but with a red logo: green for open source software, red for open source drivers.

What do people think (about the idea, not my drawing skills!). Could anyone improve it? Whic one(s) do you prefer? Once i've got a few ideas/comments, I might tell www.opensource.org about the idea.

Engnome
September 30th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Good idea! good logos too even if they need some gimp gurus help...:)

ps .bmp are you kidding me?

alecjw
September 30th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I'm using windoze right now - I can't compile the open source drivers for my new wireless card which arrived yesterday! I could have used jpg but it doesn't work very well in ms paint, which i used to recolour/add text to the pics.

alecjw
September 30th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Ok. I got bored so I eamiled osi@opensource.org.

alecjw
November 19th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I've made something in gimp/OOo draw. What do people think?

And I know the lines on the side are a bit.. strange. Can't work out why.

DoctorMO
November 20th, 2006, 12:48 AM
You NEED to make the logo in svg format because gimp formats arn't good enough for logos that'll be printed out.

IYY
November 20th, 2006, 04:14 AM
The hardware vendors' reasons for not notifying users about Linux drivers on the box have nothing to do with not having the appropriate artwork. They just think that the average (or sub-average) Windows user may think that since the hardware is supported on multiple systems, it's not as good on Windows (of course, we know this is not true.)

Dual Cortex
November 20th, 2006, 04:19 AM
The hardware vendors' reasons for not notifying users about Linux drivers on the box have nothing to do with not having the appropriate artwork. They just think that the average (or sub-average) Windows user may think that since the hardware is supported on multiple systems, it's not as good on Windows (of course, we know this is not true.)

It's a good as idea, but, just like a poll choice in another thread, easier said than done ](*,)