PDA

View Full Version : Automatix2: A sneak peek into the future. (screenshots)

jtbl
September 30th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Automatix2 for (K,X)Ubuntu 6.06 i386 and AMD64 has been released. Automatix2 for PowerPC and for MEPIS 6.0 are not out yet, Edgy i386 and AMD64 has a higher priority. More info can be found on the Automatix Wiki. (http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page) Bugs may be reported on our Google Code page (http://code.google.com/p/automatix2/issues/list). This will require a Google account or Gmail account.

Engnome
September 30th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Wow that new gui is hot! However the change list seems to be a little short.:-|

Loungefly
September 30th, 2006, 09:59 AM
There are a couple of typos in the dialog but it looks pretty sweet otherwise :)

Mathias-K
September 30th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Wow, nice work! Keep it up! :) I'm really looking forward to seeing it in action, and perhaps a Kubuntu version.

tseliot
September 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM
We are getting close to releasing a beta version of Automatix2 for testing, but until then here are some screenshots.

http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Automatix_Testing

Does it use PyGTK or WXwidgets?

mostwanted
September 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I think it should follow the Gnome HIG. Take as an example the dialogs: "yes"/"no" instead of action/action?

GliderMike
September 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I definitely like the new GUI and the categorization of apps. Automatix is so useful that it really makes Linux practical for all when combined with an already great distro. Excellent work guys.

Uncle Spellbinder
September 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Looks very nice. Will this be available for testing on Edgy beta? Or will we have to wait until the official Edgy release?

arnieboy
September 30th, 2006, 05:51 PM
AX2 is written in pygtk.
We plan to have a version for Dapper ready before we get it on to Edgy.
The number of options currently showing is just for demo purposes. We plan to have many more categories and close to 100 sub-options in total. Currently AX supports 55 options on i386.
When we feel its mature enough, it will replace AX.
I noticed the typos myself. They will be fixed.

maniacmusician
September 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
AX2 is written in pygtk.
We plan to have a version for Dapper ready before we get it on to Edgy.
The number of options currently showing is just for demo purposes. We plan to have many more categories and close to 100 sub-options in total. Currently AX supports 55 options on i386.
When we feel its mature enough, it will replace AX.
I noticed the typos myself. They will be fixed.
holy crap, that's a lot of options. thanks for all your work on automatix, it's been great. and apparently getting better.

congratulations

Rule
September 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM
WOW that looks slick I cant wait to take a dive into it. Will it also be available in Dapper also?

Josh1
September 30th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I'm so looking forward to this :D.

jtbl
September 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Automatix2 will be available for Dapper and Edgy.

dawg
September 30th, 2006, 08:51 PM
how about mepis? automatix is awesome, and i wish other distros would use something like it. keep up the good work.

jtbl
September 30th, 2006, 09:42 PM
We plan on having a Mepis version too.

GStubbs43
September 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I have to ask... will the MPlayer and Firefox Plugins be called FF Plugins or Fx Plugins... or something else... because now, it says FF, which isn't the "preferred spelling," it should say Fx or fx. http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#spell-abbreviate

Good job on the new GUI though! Looks great!

jpyanowski
October 1st, 2006, 12:34 AM
Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Ziox
October 8th, 2006, 11:11 PM
automatix2 released

Jonathan2007
October 8th, 2006, 11:55 PM
^ Awesome. Can't wait to try it. But I gotta wait for my new Seagate 320gb hard drive comes before I can test this out. Thanks for all your hard work guys. You are truly making Linux easy to use.

Lord Illidan
October 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Hey, seems good. Looks good too. I only wish it was fully GUId..without that xterm in the background, but hey..if it works..don't fix it! Downloading things as we speak!

But about Frostwire, it does work with Edgy...er...but not very well...it seems. Has some bugs...just opened it now :S Is this why it is incompatible?

arnieboy
October 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Hey, seems good. Looks good too. I only wish it was fully GUId..without that xterm in the background, but hey..if it works..don't fix it! Downloading things as we speak!

But about Frostwire, it does work with Edgy...er...but not very well...it seems. Has some bugs...just opened it now :S Is this why it is incompatible?

we are not using xterm here (except for proprietary licenses).. AX2 used a python based terminal and we believe that every automated process should give out as much info as possible instead of trying to conceal the same. That is very much in line with the the philosophy of open source and Automatix. The more we hide, the more it induces paranoia and false impressions.
In fact AX2 logs everything that the terminal spits out in ~/.automatix/activity.log for future reference.
-Arnie

ice60
October 9th, 2006, 01:38 AM
are the screenshots still there :confused:

can someone link to one, please?

sabredog
October 9th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Same here, no screenshots to be seen :(

Well done, though. Automatix simply gets better and better!

arnieboy
October 9th, 2006, 02:53 AM
We have removed the screenshots because AX2 has moved from testing to final. AX users are welcome to post their own.

maniacmusician
October 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM
when are you rolling out ax2 for edgy?

JimmyJazz
October 10th, 2006, 01:08 AM
when are you rolling out ax2 for edgy?

Sometime a little before the final release of Edgy itself (so pretty soon)

maniacmusician
October 10th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Sometime a little before the final release of Edgy itself (so pretty soon)

thanks. for anyone that wanted screenshots, heres a couple of quickies.

GStubbs43
October 10th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Another screenshot, of the uninstall tab. BTW Maniacmusician, you can use ALT+PrntScrn to take a screenshot of just one window. ;)

maniacmusician
October 10th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Another screenshot, of the uninstall tab. BTW Maniacmusician, you can use ALT+PrntScrn to take a screenshot of just one window. ;)
I use Ksnapshot. it's really easy, I just select "region" and draw a box around whatever i need to take a screenshot of. I guess alt+PrntScrn would be better for this, but i'm just used to KSnapshot.

GStubbs43
October 10th, 2006, 02:56 AM
I use Ksnapshot. it's really easy, I just select "region" and draw a box around whatever i need to take a screenshot of. I guess alt+PrntScrn would be better for this, but i'm just used to KSnapshot.

Oh yeah, I forgot you could do that, I haven't used KDE in a while... 8)

seshomaru samma
October 10th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Looks great!
:D

TheRingmaster
October 11th, 2006, 03:15 AM
this isn't the final product is it?

graabein
October 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I've used Ubuntu since 4.10 I think but I've never used Automatix myself. I've heard lots of good things about it though and the screenshots and wiki confirm this. :-D

One thing I'd change the red on black colour theme on the wiki. It's very hard to read IMO.

Good work guys!!

artimess
October 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Is there any beta version of Automatix2 for Edgy x86_64?
Thanks,
Artimess

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 10:14 AM
last i knew, that was being worked on, and may even be ready by now. you should check out their irc channel (#automatix i think) and ask them for more info. not sure what's going on right now. you can also check at www.getautomatix.com in the Install section to see if 64bit support is available.