PDA

View Full Version : Can i distribute MPL softwares?

kopinux
September 30th, 2006, 08:12 AM
good thing apache license has a clear and easy non-laymans terms FAQs.
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#WhatDoesItMEAN
i wish opensource licenses has this kind of faqs.

though im still confused with Mozilla Public License if it is legal to distribute its softwares and charge the service for a fee maybe half a dollar to cover expenses?

Rhapsody
September 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM
though im still confused with Mozilla Public License if it is legal to distribute its softwares and charge the service for a fee maybe half a dollar to cover expenses?
The Free Software Foundation has approved the Mozilla Public License as a free (though GPL-incompatible), which I believe means commercial distribution is allowed. Also, Section 2.1 (b) says:

under Patents Claims infringed by the making, using or selling of Original Code, to make, have made, use, practice, sell, and offer for sale, and/or otherwise dispose of the Original Code (or portions thereof).

Which I believe says that sale is allowed. It should be noted that certain MPLed applications (like Firefox for one) contain proprietary artwork and other trademarks (allowed under the MPL) meaning they are not free software, though the source is.

It's all quite complex really. It'd be easier if you specified a piece of software if you're intending to actually distribute one for a fee.

Engnome
September 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Maybe you could take the one debian are rebranding, then you wouldn't have to worry about their artwork and trademarks.