PDA

View Full Version : Difference between solaris and linux?

TheRingmaster
September 30th, 2006, 03:20 AM
What is the difference. I was trying to figure this out for some time now. Solaris looks pretty good, but it needs some polishing.

http://www.sun.com/solaris

IYY
September 30th, 2006, 03:23 AM
The simplest answer is this: Solaris does not use the Linux kernel.

scxtt
September 30th, 2006, 03:28 AM
solaris is (generally) for business ... you buy a sun box, it comes w/ solaris which will be optimized for said "sun box" ... it's unlikely you should spend any time wondering "should i put solaris on my box?" unless it's sun hardware ...

TheRingmaster
September 30th, 2006, 03:34 AM
did you know that apple and sun both say that there operating systems are the "most advanced os out there"

croak77
September 30th, 2006, 03:36 AM
ZFS is supposed to be nice. Has anyone tried Nexenta?

Albi
September 30th, 2006, 03:57 AM
ZFS is supposed to be nice. Has anyone tried Nexenta?

o.o from the screenshots it looks just like ubuntu...but without the linux

croak77
September 30th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Well they do call it GNU/OpenSolaris.

user1397
September 30th, 2006, 05:48 AM
jpazindustries just showed you guys the solaris and apple websites from within kubuntu. those are not shots of the OS's

croak77
September 30th, 2006, 06:44 AM
jpazindustries just showed you guys the solaris and apple websites from within kubuntu. those are not shots of the OS's

He's pointing out the same tag line they both use "most advanced os out there" not OS screenshots. Look at the circled regions.

user1397
September 30th, 2006, 06:51 AM
He's pointing out the same tag line they both use "most advanced os out there" not OS screenshots. Look at the circled regions.i know, i was just replying to albi's statement:
o.o from the screenshots it looks just like ubuntu...but without the linuxit appears he thought that solaris and mac osx looked like kubuntu.

kripkenstein
September 30th, 2006, 07:07 AM

It is Ubuntu without the Linux. That is exactly what Nexenta (GNU/Linux) is, Ubuntu running on the OpenSolaris kernel :)

It's an interesting project, I think. Perhaps in time it will be something to consider using.

croak77
September 30th, 2006, 07:12 AM
i know, i was just replying to albi's statement: it appears he thought that solaris and mac osx looked like kubuntu.

Nope. Albi was replying to me about Nexenta which is OpenSolaris with Ubuntu packages. It's got the same type of Human theme too.

http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/ScreenShots