PDA

View Full Version : Linux Steam Client Petition

NeoRazorX
September 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Are you tired to reboot to Windows to play Steam games like Half Life 2 and counter strike: source ?

Also you can use Cedega, but solution is native linux games !!!

Please, sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/steam1/petition.html

PS: sorry for my bad english :(

ironfistchamp
September 30th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Just a thought but why would we need a Linux Steam client if all the games it offers are Windows based (which rely heavly on the latest DirectX) and show no signs of porting any of them as it would take huge amounts of work with little prospect of income from Linux users buying the games?

If you can think of a reason I'm interested but it just seems like it would be pretty useless unless they spent all that time and money porting.

Ironfistchamp

Ferrat
October 1st, 2006, 02:09 AM
ironfistchamp if you read the letter it says that one game coming to steam has a linux port and the company will release it if steam can authenticate on linux (native)

how ever with the formulation in the letter I'd be supprised if they even read passed line 2, since the tone is more that of someone acting up against them rather then pleading with them to make is so, not that i really think it matters but anyways.

ironfistchamp
October 1st, 2006, 12:32 PM
My apologies I had not bothered to read the letter. It was a knee jerk reaction to all those "lets have a steam client" posts I see on other forums.

haxer
October 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM
There is already an steam4linux search the web by google and then type in Steam4linux and there it is :)

Lord Illidan
October 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM
You mean this : http://www.linuxin.dk/artikler/index.php?id=8385

It's weird language though...care to translate?

haxer
October 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM
Ok fine ill translate np you guys helped me so much before :)

First

wget http://steam4linux.freepages.dk/downloads/1.0-beta/download.php

then
xvfz steam4linux.tar.gz to open it :P

then

cd steam4linux
./configure

when it gets to 26% in update it will stop but no problems just type in terminal
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.steam4linux" wine "C:/Program Files/Steam/steamTmp.exe" SelfUpdate "C:/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe" "14"

And now it will automaticly put an desktop icon then you just update and play whatever you want if you got an account this is the easieast way i think

ThUnD3rM0rPh
October 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
there are at least three games on steam that have linux versions. a forth is on the way.

the others are Uplink, Darwinia, and the one on the way is Defcon.
all from introversion, all great games :)

Ubuntiac
December 16th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Add Gish to the list of Steam Linux games.

You need to see the video to really do this game justice.

I was just mightily confused when the game page said it ran under Linux, but then steam says to get it you need the steam client which is only on Windows... wierd.

linuxguymarshall
December 16th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Its coming to linux! You can end this now!

doorknob60
December 16th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Its coming to linux! You can end this now!

Not confirmed yet, although pretty likely.

iQuizzle
December 16th, 2008, 07:50 AM
wow, the day i can dump windows will be the best day of my life. i own XP and refuse to buy new versions of windows...i thought i was going to get phased out of gaming within a few years.

it's what prevents me from playing more games...i never feel like booting into windows.

Benchamoneh
December 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Just been doing a little googling on this subject after reading the Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=steam_confirmation&num=1) article about steam coming to linux and found an apparent Steam linux client on fileplanet:

http://www.fileplanet.com/126568/120000/fileinfo/Steam-v2.0-Beta-Client-%5BLinux%5D

You'll need a fileplanet account to get at it. I can't check this out as I'm not using my computer at the moment but if anyone does give it a shot then let me know the results.

Alex Carroll
December 24th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Created: 6/26/2003
Updated: 6/26/2003

Doesn't look like a recent development.

FMaz008
June 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Resurrecting an old thread !

I just signed the petition, already 3000+ signatures on it, not that bad...

Now that steam has a Mac version, the port should be really quick & relatively easy to do to linux.

So I'm resurecting this thread as I think it is important to put some pressure for the compatibility of steam (.. and photoshop, but this is another subject )

dtfinch
June 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Any steam client having a GUI that updates faster than 2 frames per second and doesn't consume 100% of a cpu core would be welcome, even if it uses Wine to play games. Their current client runs very poorly on Wine, as though they didn't even bother to test it.

Beyond that, if a proper Steam port came to Linux, there'd have to be some way to assure that a game will actually run well before I'd consider buying it. Currently Steam has a zero-refund policy, which is unacceptable when you have a 50/50 chance of any game not working at all.