PDA

View Full Version : By Microsofts own admission, windows Vista is "stupid"

NoTiG
September 29th, 2006, 08:07 PM
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=16014

"One of the more questionable tactics that Microsoft has implemented in Vista is to automatically overwrite any existing MBR during the installation process without asking if you mind or giving you an option to back up. Microsoft says that the Windows installation system can’t intelligently interrogate an existing non-MS MBR, although such features are quite common in the install routine for other OSes."

croak77
September 29th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Edited. Nothing to see here.

Pete109
September 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
"Microsoft says...". Paraphrasing. Microsoft representatives may not have actually said that. And even if they did, it does not mean that it is "stupid" or "dumb" in the context in which you interpret it.

Kateikyoushi
September 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
It means by default it is in search and destroy mode to erase anything non MS on your rig.
Actually when I installed pre RC it did not install on my HDD because it has XFS partition on it. Now seems that is solved in a MS way.

justin whitaker
September 29th, 2006, 08:18 PM
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=16014

if it can't intelligently do this like every other OS (even windows predecessors) , then by logic it must be dumb, am i correct?

Nope. I'm all for showing that Redmond makes bad decisions, but that's just paraphrasing so you can generate FUD.

NoTiG
September 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM
l

Seq
September 29th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Windows has always overwritten the MBR with it's own, this is not news. Ubuntu does this as well with GRUB at the moment. Granted, it can figure out certain other popular OSes and add them to grub's menu.lst, but this point is moot. What if you do not want GRUB installed (I have a macbook and would prefer to skip the whole ordeal). What if you want it installed to ubuntu's partition instead of the MBR? Debian's installer handles this fine last time I used it, so this functionality has actually been removed.

Granted, almost all Ubuntu users want Grub installed to the MBR anyway... I wonder what most windows users want...

There are bigger things to worry about with Vista than the MBR.

mzilhao
September 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM
actually, when i installed dapper from the install cd, grub was installed automatically to the mbr, it didn't ask me if i wanted to overwrite my mbr...

EDIT:
oops... Seq beat me to it :-)

BLTicklemonster
September 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Wow. Tough crowd. You ever notice that in these forums? You try to be light hearted, and some lower brain functionite who can recite every book he's read since he learned to read and wouldn't know a sense of humor if it sat on him comes along and thinks you're dead serious.

Please keep posting humourous stuff, it's funny to watch how they act.
NO IT'S NOT, I HAVE IMPERICAL EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY!