PDA

View Full Version : Name my company

matthew
September 29th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I'm seriously considering forming my own publishing company and I need three or four good names to turn in with my business statutes when I start it up so that if my first choice isn't available I'll have some backups. The books I'll likely be publishing are not tech-related but will most generally be linguistic in nature.

Here are a couple I have thought of, but am not completely sold on...

Multilingual Publishers

Caffeinated Press

I want something simple, easy to understand and say, and not too weird. I like weird, but I have to put this on business cards and hand it out to people with my name on it so... :)

Anyone have a good idea you would like to share with me as I brainstorm?

fuscia
September 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM
so far...

matthew's house of fun

linguists-r-us

global glot

reading gone wild

linguists little library

Josh1
September 29th, 2006, 05:27 PM
**** Industries
Crayon Factory

Klaidas
September 29th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Hmm...
"Untitled"? :D

raublekick
September 29th, 2006, 05:31 PM
How about CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet?

PapaWiskas
September 29th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Wehttam Press
Wehttam Books
Wehttam Tomes

Sounds sophisticated, and it uses your name, just not as obvious.
It would look cool bound in gold on the spine of the book though.

Just my opinion.

I have been working on a book for awhile now, what kind of publishing are you going to do? Mine is a thriller/horror type novel.

John.Michael.Kane
September 29th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Guistic Press

Strat Publishing

fuscia
September 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Spin'n-Tell

(that would probably be a better name for a rapper.)

plb
September 29th, 2006, 05:51 PM
"last name" + publishing

christhemonkey
September 29th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Master Roaster Publishing?

matthew
September 29th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Wehttam Books

Sounds sophisticated, and it uses your name, just not as obvious.
It would look cool bound in gold on the spine of the book though.I think this is my favorite from the thread so far. I really appreciate all the ideas being tossed around.

I have been working on a book for awhile now, what kind of publishing are you going to do? Mine is a thriller/horror type novel.I'm going to start by publishing my own book on culture and language in Morocco. After I've been through the process once we'll see where it goes.

Here's an idea I just had, let me know what you think. "Derby Press." My grandfather's name was Derby, but it's kind of a pun because in Arabic it means "My Way" or "My Neighborhood."

NoWhereMan
September 29th, 2006, 06:40 PM
How about CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet?

kudos, man ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but then you must expect bill gates to come and "acquire" your business !

dca
September 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM
It's a dual-edged sword. When you have a publishing company called 'X' does having 'Press', 'Books', 'Publishing', etc after the name legitimize the business or hurt it. Would the company ever branch off from publishing to include software publishing (meaning the books would be available on CD, etc) or branch off completely? Maybe you can open an world atlas to the country of Morocco, close your eyes, and point. Best case scenario your finger lands on a city with a cool name that has nothing to do with where you live or where you were born....

matthew
September 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM
It's a dual-edged sword. When you have a publishing company called 'X' does having 'Press', 'Books', 'Publishing', etc after the name legitimize the business or hurt it. Would the company ever branch off from publishing to include software publishing (meaning the books would be available on CD, etc) or branch off completely?
That is an excellent point I hadn't considered. Thank you for bringing it up!

I've considered local place names as well, there might be something there.

ComplexNumber
September 29th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Sweat Music Publishing

Easy Listening Press

Palindromes Publishing

The Write Choice

hmmmm on second thoughts, maybe not.

fuscia
September 29th, 2006, 09:57 PM
the 4-W's, short for 'whacky warehouse of wild wonders'. (i know you think i'm screwing around, but this is the goods, dude.)

BLTicklemonster
September 29th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Words for thought.

Pressing Issues. (lmao, the presses and issues, get it?)

koff koff

um Ubuntu Guild?

tapped out, let me finish tinkering with edgy, I'll prolly come up with more. In the meantime, tell us about yourself, where do you live, what are your interests, what made you decide to take this path? Who were your literary heroes, what is you bank account number and pin, do you have a favorite pet, is there some childhood memory you could share that was pivotal in making you decide on this course of action?

PapaWiskas
September 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Wehttam Intl. (International)
Wehttam World Wide
Derby & Wehttam

Can be books, software, anything you want with those names.

matthew
September 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Pressing Issues. (lmao, the presses and issues, get it?)I like it...I have a thing for puns. I don't know that I'll use it, but it's pretty good. I'm putting it on the list.

tapped out, let me finish tinkering with edgy, I'll prolly come up with more. In the meantime, tell us about yourself, where do you live, what are your interests, what made you decide to take this path? Who were your literary heroes, what is you bank account number and pin, do you have a favorite pet, is there some childhood memory you could share that was pivotal in making you decide on this course of action?Some may have already heard my story, but it's been 8 or 9 months since I told it so I'm happy to share it again.

I was born in Tucson, Arizona (USA) and raised in the Phoenix area, but I spent a lot of time in each. I have a degree from the University of Arizona in Tucson.

In later years I worked at a university but I felt like I wanted to do something different with my life than spend it in a building. (That part is an especially long story that I'll bypass.)

I inherited some money and while I'm not rich I have the freedom to make some choices I couldn't have made otherwise to pursue my interests. With my wife's full support we moved to Morocco in 2001 so I could study Arabic. We fell in love with the country and the people so I got a job with a language school that wanted to start a branch in Casablanca as the administrator for a school that teaches Arabic to foreigners. Then we moved to Fez and I worked at the main campus. During these years we had two kids. After a while we went back to the States to spend time with family and had a third kid.

We moved back to Fez earlier this year with a specific project in mind. I'm doing cultural and linguistic research with the intent of writing a book. The plan is to use indigenous stories and jokes as a launchpad for discussing the hidden parts of culture, the unspoken subtext that all natives understand. It's a bit of a niche so I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a publisher who's interested. I discovered that in the US I can just self-publish pretty easily, but to sell it here I need a publisher...then I discovered this week that it is very inexpensive and easy to start a business in Morocco so I'm exploring that as an option for local sales.

I love language and am a student of Moroccan Arabic (actually, I'm pretty good at it), Modern Standard Arabic, Spanish and French.

For books I tend toward non-fiction recently, but that's just because I'm on a culture/language binge. In fiction I lean toward people like Chaim Potok and the English language classics like Nathaniel Hawthorne and Charles Dickens. I tend to find something that interests me and binge on it for a while so one year I read just about everything I could find by Russian authors like Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy, another time I read all of Mark Twain's works, then there was my pulp fiction spy novel era and that time in late high school/early college where I must have read at least 100 different books by Isaac Asimov. I'm all over the map. I like Joseph Conrad, I like Douglas Coupland (at least the first 2 or 3 books), I think Steven King has talent (though his stuff isn't really my thing) and I think David Sedaris is one of the most hysterical writers ever. My favorite new author is Laila Lalami with her book "Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits."

With music it's the same thing, I like most styles as long as there is some real talent involved...and I will readily admit to being especially partial to good guitar playing. My mp3 player is loaded with nearly 20Gb of music in styles varying from blues, classic rock, 80's metal, R & B, hip hop, reggae, acoustic Mississippi delta country blues from the 1920's, bluegrass, soul, gospel, funk, and a few things I couldn't begin to classify. I like to play most of it as well.

One year I was searching for a new guitar amplifier and I just couldn't find one I could afford that sounded the way I wanted it to so I bought 6 or 7 books on old tube technology and learned how to build my own by buying old amps on eBay, fixing them and selling them (back when eBay was relatively unknown and it was easier to get deals on that stuff).

Okay, I don't generally talk about myself much and it's beginning to feel kind of weird so I'll stop there. Maybe that will help spark some ideas as well. In any case, I really appreciate everyone's help in brainstorming! Thanks, again.

matthew
September 29th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Derby & Wehttam

Can be books, software, anything you want with those names.I'm liking this one!

ComplexNumber
September 29th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I like it...I have a thing for puns.
then you should like The Write Choice. it doesn't have to have press or publishing after it.

matthew
September 29th, 2006, 11:00 PM
then you should like The Write Choice. it doesn't have to have press or publishing after it.I forgot to mention it. It's on the list. Thanks!

ComplexNumber
September 29th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I forgot to mention it. It's on the list. Thanks!
ahhh thats good that i can be of help. i suggested the music related ones because i know you have a passion for music, even though its not really related to the intended subject matter of the books (ie linqual books). i felt that, because music seems to be a lot more than a passing whim with you, the chances of you moving on to a different subject matter with your publishing company was greater than the chances of you losing interest in music. hence it may be a more apt choice. if you moved on to publishing (for example) computer programming books, the lingual-related name may seem a bit out of place.

BLTicklemonster
September 29th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Punkinhead Press. People ask what it is, maybe you can get them interested in Sam? Gotta tend a cd burn, keep an eye on chili, then install edgy (uhyep, I tried distibute upgrade and it dorked out. I had too much garbage on the drive anyway, so a clean install will work fine)

BLTicklemonster
September 30th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Palindromes Publishing

Huh:

Palindrome
aka
Koob Book

Okay, enough of that. I like messing words up, so when I see

Matthew

I also see

The W Mat

and

Thewmat

and T Tamhew, What Met, Mew Heat, TT Hewma, Wetamth, M Thweat, etc.

Bored? Me?

fuscia
September 30th, 2006, 03:12 AM
books and stuff

books and more

what do you need?

books, books, etc.

ComplexNumber
September 30th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Huh:

Palindrome
aka
Koob Book

where did that come from? the "palindrome" partwas just a reference to the fact that its linguistic based. nothing more.

BLTicklemonster
September 30th, 2006, 04:40 AM
where did that come from? the "palindrome" partwas just a reference to the fact that its linguistic based. nothing more.

aka is a palindrome, isn't it? then koob book just reflects the spirit of palindromes, though neither word is one.

Just struck me as cool is all. I was suggesting it as a possible name if one gets sort of kind of abstract lol. Like Palindrome, doing business as Koob Book. (I guess Koob booK would look better though...

matthew
November 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Derby & Wehttam

Can be books, software, anything you want with those names.Well, it's official. I am the sole owner of Derby & Wehttam, a company specializing in publishing, research assistance, translation, occasional seminars and pretty much anything else that interests me.

Because I used PapaWiskas' idea I'm trying to think of an appropriate thank you... PapaWiskas, check your PM's.

fuscia
November 13th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Well, it's official. I am the sole owner of Derby & Wehttam

congratulations...uh, sybil.

MedivhX
November 13th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Open Press
MattPublishing (matt = matthew)
The Librarians

PapaWiskas
November 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Well, it's official. I am the sole owner of Derby & Wehttam, a company specializing in publishing, research assistance, translation, occasional seminars and pretty much anything else that interests me.

Because I used PapaWiskas' idea I'm trying to think of an appropriate thank you... PapaWiskas, check your PM's.

Congrats to you! I hope nothing short of great success and personal and professional happiness in your endeavours.

Thank your taking the time to let us know and for dropping me a letter.

I think this is great!!!

BLTicklemonster
November 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Yay!!!

either way you spell it, lol.

turkenator
November 15th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Al=Matbaa

slimdog360
November 15th, 2006, 01:23 AM
congrats, all the best for you and your new company.

matthew
January 9th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Just an update. I got my final permission to conduct business from the Moroccan government yesterday. Woo hoo!! So the business is up and running. There isn't anything for sale at the web site yet, so this isn't spam...I'll probably come back and delete the link when that happens. Anyway, I found an old picture of some of my ancestors (really!) and have used it for the headline banner on the Derby & Wehttam site. Let me know what you think of the (very sparce) web home thus far: http://derbyandwehttam.com . At this point the whole thing consists of one short intro page. I'll work on it more later after I finish the book and actually have something to publish and sell.

RAV TUX
January 9th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Just an update. I got my final permission to conduct business from the Moroccan government yesterday. Woo hoo!! So the business is up and running. There isn't anything for sale at the web site yet, so this isn't spam...I'll probably come back and delete the link when that happens. Anyway, I found an old picture of some of my ancestors (really!) and have used it for the headline banner on the Derby & Wehttam site. Let me know what you think of the (very sparce) web home thus far: http://derbyandwehttam.com . At this point the whole thing consists of one short intro page. I'll work on it more later after I finish the book and actually have something to publish and sell.

Very classy Matthew!...simply awesome

Titus A Duxass
January 9th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Matthew,
Again very classy.
It is nice to see clean precise English in the long format (no don'ts, won'ts, can'ts or shan'ts ).

I wish you all success with your new venture.

matthew
January 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Very classy Matthew!...simply awesome

Matthew,
Again very classy.
It is nice to see clean precise English in the long format (no don'ts, won'ts, can'ts or shan'ts ).

I wish you all success with your new venture.Thank you both. :)

matthew
April 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM
As promised, here is an official announcement. My book has been published! It isn't available yet on amazon.com, etc., but it should be within the next 6 weeks or so. In the meanwhile, you can look here (http://derbyandwehttam.com/node/5) and here (http://www.lulu.com/content/669267) for more information.

matthew
April 25th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Okay, one last post about the book. It is now available worldwide on Amazon.

Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Humor-Moroccan-Culture-Matthew-Helmke/dp/0615142842/ref=sr_1_1/102-3272900-3802546?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177443056&sr=8-1) (USA)
Amazon.ca (http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/702-9636466-0163202?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=matthew+helmke&Go.x=10&Go.y=14&Go=Go) (Canada)
Amazon.fr (http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_ss_w/171-5519785-1795445?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=matthew+helmke&Go.x=15&Go.y=13&Go=Go) (France)
Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-9113852-7398830?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=matthew+helmke&Go.x=13&Go.y=16&Go=Go) (United Kingdom)
Amazon.de (http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss_w/028-2037493-8914919?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=matthew+helmke&Go.x=15&Go.y=11&Go=Go) (Germany)
Amazon.co.jp (http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/250-6946167-3330661?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=matthew+helmke&Go.x=17&Go.y=13&Go=Go) (Japan)