PDA

View Full Version : Laptop?

erbedo
September 29th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Hi people!
I'me searching for a notebook, obviously working with Linux. I've seen some models, such as:
- fujitsu v3205
- fujitsu 1520
- asus a5f/u5f/w5f

But the last 3 cost too much for me :)

I'd like to have a laptop with nice battery, and pretty small, 12" should be the best.

Any hint?

GazzaK
September 29th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I found the HP Compaq nc4200 is a very nice machine, and it was going to be released with Ubuntu installed, until they realised they did not have the ability to support ubuntu, but as far as i've found, everything works.

It's a great, small, well made 12" lappy, is light and very portable.

erbedo
September 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Really nice one, but it have no CD/DVD right? I'me searching for one with it..

ckwan
July 20th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Hi! I have one ASUS U5F laptop, it comes with MS Windows Vista, I don't know how many drivers needed for Ubuntu. But I will try to install Ubuntu into it and give you my result in 48 hrs.:KS

afljafa
July 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Dell XPS M1210 goes alright with Ubuntu on board.

RAV TUX
July 20th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Hi people!
I'me searching for a notebook, obviously working with Linux. I've seen some models, such as:
- fujitsu v3205
- fujitsu 1520
- asus a5f/u5f/w5f

But the last 3 cost too much for me :)

I'd like to have a laptop with nice battery, and pretty small, 12" should be the best.

Any hint?
The Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 works great with Ubuntu.

jrusso2
July 20th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Well the Lenovo T 60's are very linux capable, and now that the T 61 is out you should be able to find the T-60's discounted. I got my T-43 after the T-60's came out and I got a real good price on it.

ckwan
July 22nd, 2007, 05:14 AM
Hi! I downloaded the Ubuntu V7.04 and tried for a while, it's almost perfect but one thing, when I use the wireless network, bluetooth and WIFI lights are on at the same time, but no any information for bluetooth, and I believe that will shorten the battery milage.:lolflag:

Swiss
July 22nd, 2007, 05:52 AM
I have an HP DV5000. Its small, light, has good battery life, and it a has a cd/dvd drive.

bonzodog
July 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I have just purchased a laptop, and the lesson for today children is, stay AWAY from *anything* with ATI chipsets in it, and avoid Broadcom wireless chipsets.

When you look for a laptop, the three things that you need to look at first are Processor, Graphics, and wireless.

I found that if you get a laptop with ALL intel chipsets, including wireless, it will Just Work in ubuntu, and the Ubuntu wireless drivers work better than the Windows ones. Go figure.

AMD/Nvidia combinations will generally work, but be careful about the wireless.

I just bought an Acer Travelmate 4200 WLMi, with a 15.4" WXGA screen, and Feisty was able to configure it out of the box, to a 1280x800 resolution. It has all intel gear, with the intel 950 graphics chipset, and an intel wireless chipset. Feisty even can do the screen brightness on it.

Swiss
July 22nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
I have just purchased a laptop, and the lesson for today children is, stay AWAY from *anything* with ATI chipsets in it, and avoid Broadcom wireless chipsets.

That rules out HP. :rolleyes:

Adamant1988
July 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Why not buy an Ubuntu DELL laptop if you're just going to put Linux on it?

Dimitriid
July 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM

When you look for a laptop, the three things that you need to look at first are Processor, Graphics, and wireless.

I found that if you get a laptop with ALL intel chipsets, including wireless, it will Just Work in ubuntu, and the Ubuntu wireless drivers work better than the Windows ones. Go figure.

AMD/Nvidia combinations will generally work, but be careful about the wireless.

I just bought an Acer Travelmate 4200 WLMi, with a 15.4" WXGA screen, and Feisty was able to configure it out of the box, to a 1280x800 resolution. It has all intel gear, with the intel 950 graphics chipset, and an intel wireless chipset. Feisty even can do the screen brightness on it.

Why wireless? You can just buy an external usb ( or even PC Express ) adapter for it that you know works with current Ubuntu versions in the meantime , specially since its very likely that the integrated one will work well in future versions.

Maybe is just me but I wouldn't take into account a piece of hardware that is maybe 5% of the total price and easily replaceable. Processors, videocards, monitor yes you're pretty much stuck with em. Ram, Optical drive and Hard drive it makes sense to get good options since those are very expensive to upgrade, but wireless? Its nice if it works right now out of the box with Ubuntu but it shouldn't be a buying decision.