PDA

View Full Version : Would you uninstall Windows if MS took over WINE development?

Frak
September 29th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Would you uninstall Windows if MS took over WINE development?

maniacmusician
September 29th, 2006, 04:02 AM
i said yes because i've already uninstalled windows.

Mihkal
September 29th, 2006, 04:14 AM
No, because ms would either cripple wine or start charging outrageous amounts for it.

Ms would never encourage people to use a different os.

enopepsoo
September 29th, 2006, 04:29 AM
MS could not take over development. They could fork it though, or more likely, make a commercial version. I doubt that they would ever do that either.:D

:KS

BLTicklemonster
September 29th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Nah, they'd find a way to infect Linux.

maniacmusician
September 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM
to infect something, you have to understand it...and a secure FS/OS/anything else...is a bit beyond their grasp ;)

DoctorMO
September 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM
In order for MS to fork it into a locked down version they would need to use wine pre cedgia days when it was BSD-Licienced. Now it's GPL they'd have to follow the rules just like everyone else about giving back the source code.

ericesque
September 29th, 2006, 07:06 AM
@ DoctorMO: love your sig.

@ the topic:
I don't understand the question... or rather why you would pose such a question.

I assume there is no chatter about MS doing any development for WINE. If there is, I've not heard it. So I don't see where the question would arise. Are you assuming that WINE would support more win apps if MS was developing it? I'm just confused.

A more logical question would be: Would you uninstall WINE if MS took over WINE development?

OR

Would you uninstall windows if WINE supported your necessary windows apps?

Stone123
September 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM
( )Yes
( )No
(X) What are you talking about.

Bavo
September 29th, 2006, 02:30 PM
A more interesting question would be

would you install Windows if WINE-Developers took over Windows development :)

Anyway your poll assumes that everyone has windows installed, I and probably lots of other people don't have windows, so we can't really vote.

BLTicklemonster
September 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
to infect something, you have to understand it...and a secure FS/OS/anything else...is a bit beyond their grasp ;)

lmao, touche!

I think the point is: if you are like me with a dual boot system, xp and ubuntu (not in that order, of course) and you used wine for windows apps in linux, then all of a sudden microsoft took over wine, would you have the confidence in Window's making wine do everything well enough that you could forsee no need to dual boot any more. It would be assumed that Microsoft would be able to make all thinks work in wine, therefore there would be the distinct possibility that dual booting would no longer be a necessity. At that point, would you feel comfortable completely uninstalling windows?

I guess if Microsoft ever perfects getting stuff to work in windows, then the next step would be to start considering this as a possibility, but only in the realm of science fiction, don't you know. :) (which has nothing to do with your most excellent point, music dude. I just noticed some posters who seemed to not understand the thread topic)