PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking linux onto my mothers machine. How to hide grub?

NoTiG
September 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I need windows to boot automatically and grub to be invisible... unless a key is pressed. is this possible btw? I want to install it on her machine so i can configure it... then someday when i feel the time is right im going to switch her!

LotsOfPhil
September 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Make the Windows boot the default and put in/uncomment "hiddenmenu" in /boot/grub/menu.lst

pay
September 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I like your style. Try this http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_change_default_Operating_System_boot-up_for_GRUB_menu
and this http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_hide_GRUB_menu_on_boot-up
Good luck.

NoTiG
September 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Alright... so I enabled the hidden menu...... and i set the delay to 0 seconds to boot the default OS.... but the problem is that for a split second you can see the grub program in the top left before it starts booting windows >< . is there any way to make it totally transparent?

skymt
September 27th, 2006, 05:30 PM
No, sorry. Your best bet is to restore the XP bootloader, then put grub on a floppy and boot to that to get to Ubuntu.

NoTiG
September 27th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Maybe if she notices ill just tell her that grub is some kind of windows virus. That will be additional incentive for her to switch and get her mindset in the right path in the long run. devious i know. Then ill just have to use lilo or hide the grub name when she does eventually us linux :P

LotsOfPhil
September 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Hmm. I don't know if you need to give up. Here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst (modified for the important stuff):

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#boot=/dev/sda
hiddenmenu
default 0
timeout 10
#splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.21-4.ELsmp.img

(it's from my redhat box)
I'd just set the timeout to 2 (not zero, so you can always get into grub). The only thing your mom will see is "Press ESC to enter GRUB menu." for 2 seconds. I am guessing that if she isn't going to notice the new OS on her system, this message will fly under the radar too.

NoTiG
September 27th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Lol maybe. although skymt's solution is rather thorough. I wonder if Lilo can be used instead to be transparent. hmmm

xhaan
September 27th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I bet you could use loadlin to start Ubuntu from inside Windows...