PDA

View Full Version : *Drool* i've been waiting for one of these for years. My next xMas prez!

NoTiG
September 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?sssdmh=dm11.90807&ProductSKU=PRS500U2&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_pdr&hqs=order

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/180x180/ebook.jpg

A nice elegant Ebook reader that is elegant on the eyes. Now all they need is to int4egrate some kind of notepad so you can write things and take notes while reading

weatherman
September 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM
do you know how many paper books you can buy with 350$? :-?

Sushi
September 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Sony? The company that installed rootkits on their customers computers and ripped off GPL'ed code in the process? THAT Sony?

Lord Illidan
September 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Aye, and no drm on them neither.. I like the technology, but for 350$ I can stock an entire shelf full of good books. Remember, 350 for just the reader, it says nothing about the books..

Also, nothing beats curling up in bed or an sofa with a good book. The smell of the pages, the texture, all these things will be lacking..

bastiegast
September 27th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I dont care its from SONY, this paper like display technology is so cool:-)

slimdog360
September 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
that is soooooooo cool

Sushi
September 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I dont care its from SONY, this paper like display technology is so cool:-)

The technology might be cool, but that does not mean that we should voluntarily give our money to a company that is utter scum. Are you willing to financially support evil (after what Sony did, I label them as evil) companies because they give you shiny things?

prizrak
September 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM
So not worth it. Just get a tablet PC. Will do everything a computer can and work as a book reader.

maniacmusician
September 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM
i'm interested in getting a tablet pc...but i think i'll wait until they're more ubuntu-usable.

Brunellus
September 27th, 2006, 02:22 PM
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?sssdmh=dm11.90807&ProductSKU=PRS500U2&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_pdr&hqs=order

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/180x180/ebook.jpg

A nice elegant Ebook reader that is elegant on the eyes. Now all they need is to int4egrate some kind of notepad so you can write things and take notes while reading
SONY, therefore not desirable. A book may be bulky, but it's yours. DRM will allow them to expire or revoke your rights to read the book.

I hope the first thing this thing displays is a high-quality version of its EULA, because that'd be what you'd need to read first.

NoTiG
September 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Well... DRM does suck. There is this one but more expensive: http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/iliad

I was actually waiting for OLED book readers though. cant wait for an open source linux one with no DRM . BTW books are freaking expensive..... so the price of 350 for a reader isnt that much in comparison to my mind. guess it depends how much you read.

henriquemaia
September 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM

With that you say it all and you're absolutely right. Nothing like the old book.

Sushi
September 27th, 2006, 02:38 PM
With that you say it all and you're absolutely right. Nothing like the old book.

Damn straight. I would much rather read "Lord of the Rings" from my worn-out physical copy, than from a screen on some gizmo.

Brunellus
September 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Damn straight. I would much rather read "Lord of the Rings" from my worn-out physical copy, than from a screen on some gizmo.
and with the money you save, you can get around to reading something you haven't read before, too.

mips
September 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Books use up trees but then again they don't get interupted by flat batteries.

NoTiG
September 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
yea but storage devices are getting smaller and smaller. an ipod can hold what now? like 60 GB or something? With 60 gigabytes you can fit a virtual library in your pocket. That IMO is alot more interesting and romantic than whatever traditional print method has been used for books. I can't wait for the day when plain books will become obsolete and only collectors will actually want them. I don't ever read books twice anyway so theres no point in having them around... and I generally dont like old books because they are all dusty anyway. The content is much more important to me than any superficiality (such as the cover) . However it would be nice if the cost of electronic books actually REFLECTED the money saved from not actually printing it. we have always been told that a large cost of the book is to physically print it alone. well then why are electronic books the same price as real copies? THAT is ridiculous.

henriquemaia
September 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM

We can use recycled paper books.

Kateikyoushi
September 27th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Ever tried to move your book, dvd, cd, whatever collection to another country ?

Castar
September 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Ever tried to move your book, dvd, cd, whatever collection to another country ?

That really sucks! ](*,)

prizrak
September 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Paper books suck, it's all about the e-books. Also as far as environmental stuff goes electronics are pretty bad for the environment especially the batteries.

Brunellus
September 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Paper books suck, it's all about the e-books. Also as far as environmental stuff goes electronics are pretty bad for the environment especially the batteries.
e-books aren't ready for my bookbag yet. Give me a) long battery life, b) high resolution, c) no DRM. Then let me have the e-book reader.

Until then, I'll stick with paper, which is a poor substitute for vellum anyway.

prizrak
September 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Give me a) long battery life
With a secondary battery my tablet has a battery life of 8 hours. Also just about any PDA will display e-books quite nicely and they last over a day easily (just charge it when you are sleeping).

b) high resolution
What do you consider high resolution? Tablets have good resolutions and IMO PDA screens are quite readable.

c) no DRM
lib.aldebaran.ru has an English interface and a bunch of books in English.

Brunellus
September 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
With a secondary battery my tablet has a battery life of 8 hours. Also just about any PDA will display e-books quite nicely and they last over a day easily (just charge it when you are sleeping).

What do you consider high resolution? Tablets have good resolutions and IMO PDA screens are quite readable.

lib.aldebaran.ru has an English interface and a bunch of books in English.
I'm looking for real long battery life--a day, two days. Essentially, I want to be able to keep the thing rocking without worrying too much about how much juice I've got in it.

I can only stare at most displays for so long before my eyes complain. A well-printed page has better contrast.

I suppose I might be tempted by the sony device if it weren't made by sony, though

Lord Illidan
September 27th, 2006, 10:36 PM

Not if they are made from recycled paper. Also, have you ever thought that a book is less damaging to the environment? When the sony is obsolete, it will be thrown away and it is not bio-degradeable.

Books don't get obsolete. And if they are thrown away, they will disentegrate. They also make good compost.

yea but storage devices are getting smaller and smaller. an ipod can hold what now? like 60 GB or something? With 60 gigabytes you can fit a virtual library in your pocket. That IMO is alot more interesting and romantic than whatever traditional print method has been used for books. I can't wait for the day when plain books will become obsolete and only collectors will actually want them. I don't ever read books twice anyway so theres no point in having them around... and I generally dont like old books because they are all dusty anyway. The content is much more important to me than any superficiality (such as the cover) .

More interesting, sure. But remember...books last for ever, your ipod will not. You don't read books twice..well, I do.

However it would be nice if the cost of electronic books actually REFLECTED the money saved from not actually printing it. we have always been told that a large cost of the book is to physically print it alone. well then why are electronic books the same price as real copies? THAT is ridiculous.
Yes, it is.

Omnios
September 27th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Counting on the text document sty it may be very usefull for a programmer database-net person etc to hold a over bloated programmng net trick searchable personal notes database.

Anyways what is the price of this puppy

%hMa@?b<C
September 28th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I actually hate the texture of most books. Sometimes I wear globes while I read

Mr. Picklesworth
September 28th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I don't understand the interface on that thing!
Theoretically, it should only really need 3 or 4 buttons, right?
Menu navigation, page flipping, and menu opening... maybe a quick bookmark button.
On here I see 10 mysterious number buttons; a Next / Previous button; a Size button (or are those just lights?); another Next/Prev thing written beside a shiny metallic circle (what does that thing do?!); two giant logos consuming valuable space which, from my ignorant perspective, could be used for more screen; a Mark button (bookmark, I'm guessing?); and another 5 very out of place buttons which seem to be specifically for controlling a menu.

It just looks way too complicated to attract many people.

It is great to see E Ink taking off, though, and I'm excited to see what other efficient electronic devices with nice screens will come about.

I, however, am not really interested in buying eBooks.
There is a particular nice thing about owning a physical collection of great books, and having them all stored electronically could easily ruin that feel.
As I recall (though I may be completely wrong), this E Paper can be bent without damaging it, so I would love to have a PDA sort of device that makes use of that, or even just a slowly updating computer monitor.
It would feel really fresh running a web browser (even a simple text-based one like Links) on such a surface, and the bendability would make it feel a lot more casual :)

banjobacon
September 28th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Though I prefer physical books for the most part, an ebook reader would be ideal for students with textbooks. hardly any students want to read their textbooks, much less lug them around.

maniacmusician
September 28th, 2006, 02:58 AM
how many textbooks are available as ebooks?

but yeah it would be nice not to have to carry books around. Though it's harder to flip through an "ebook" to find a page than it is to flip through a book.

for casual reading for myself, i still prefer real books. I've read entire books off of computer screens before...it's not fun. i end up with a huge headache and extremely tired. specially since I keep at it for hours at a time.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 28th, 2006, 03:34 AM
ManiacMusician:
That's LCD screens that cause eye strain.
What makes this technology unique is that E Ink screens are not constantly refreshing. That is why battery power can be measured in page flips and why it is a great way to read eBooks.

As I wrote already, though, Sony's gadget isn't even coming close to the possibilities of this wonderful technology.

jISh
September 28th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Pointless. At least integrate it into a device that performs more functions.