PDA

View Full Version : BSD thread

slimdog360
September 27th, 2006, 11:09 AM
BSD should get a subforum, everything else gets a subforum, why not BSD?

That aside, Im downloading free bsd now, do I need to download the second cd as well? Also is there any other bsd OS that anyone recommends? Im keen to give it a go.

Rumor
September 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM
PC-BSD has a really great installer and very good hardware detection.

http://www.pcbsd.org/

Dr. C
September 28th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I agree with a BSD sub forum

ezsit
September 28th, 2006, 06:50 AM
PC-BSD has a really great installer and very good hardware detection.

I second the PC-BSD vote. I am posting from it right now. The single CD installed and detected my hardware flawlessly. It was a simple matter of downloading alot of extras in the form of .pbi software (a proprietary binary installable format unique to PC-BSD). All PBI packages are self-contained applications with all necessary libs and dependencies (so the packages are bigger, but all twenty some-odd PBIs I have tried work perfectly, even the NVIDIA drivers.).

So far, PC-BSD is the only system to remain on my spare testing hard drive for more than a couple of days. I have Ubuntu on my main hard drives, but I haven't booted back into Ubuntu in four or five days. PC-BSD is looking GOOD.

slimdog360
September 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM
yikes, I finished downloading both freebsd disks and tried to install. That is the worst installer in the history of man kind. I managed to get it installed but was then faced with a command prompt when I tried booted it up. Looks like I'll have to do some research and try again. If that doesnt work I'll try pcbsd.

jason.b.c
September 28th, 2006, 04:56 PM
You should try RoFreesbie then... ( Click Image )

http://www.rofreesbie.org/icons/cds.png (http://www.rofreesbie.org/)

slimdog360
September 30th, 2006, 05:17 AM
bloody hell, and they say linux is hard to figure out. I read a guide and managed to get freebsd installed but now Ive got to configure the x server by myself. It doesnt like my monitor but Im working on it.

ps: I tried pcbsd but it didnt want to work. The download was fine but I butrnt it 3 times and not one worked. I burnt them at 3X and still they didnt work. oh well.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2006, 08:42 AM
FreeBSD sucks....

PC-BSD is by far the best BSD distro out....

slimdog360
September 30th, 2006, 10:33 AM
FreeBSD rules....

PC-BSD is by far the worst BSD distro out....
I know what you mean. I managed to get everything working now but am still having some problems setting up the accounts and certain permissions. But hay, Ive got my shiny new kde desktop up and running.

edit: make that I have everything working now. Account and permission problems are a thing of the past.

edit again: yozef, your a mod, why don't you create a BSD subforum.

mips
October 1st, 2006, 05:28 PM
FreeBSD sucks....

PC-BSD is by far the best BSD distro out....

Depends on your intended purpose. Desktop=no, Server=yes.

RAV TUX
October 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
I know what you mean. I managed to get everything working now but am still having some problems setting up the accounts and certain permissions. But hay, Ive got my shiny new kde desktop up and running.

edit: make that I have everything working now. Account and permission problems are a thing of the past.

edit again: yozef, your a mod, why don't you create a BSD subforum.

I wanted a BSD sub-forum from the beginning,....but I leave it up to the forum administrators to do their layout....

I will put in another request now...

ubuntu-geek
October 2nd, 2006, 01:39 AM
added :)

RAV TUX
October 2nd, 2006, 01:46 AM
added :)

Thanks for the quick action ubuntu-geek!

moving this thread to "BSD discussion" subforum.

slimdog360
October 2nd, 2006, 07:29 AM
I'll tell ya what. Getting openoffice to work in freebsd isnt easy.

RAV TUX
October 2nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
I'll tell ya what. Getting openoffice to work in freebsd isnt easy.

works fine in PC-BSD...I highly suggest if you want to use BSD, try PC-BSD first.

slimdog360
October 3rd, 2006, 08:52 AM
I downloaded pcbsd but I think it is corrupt. The md5 sum checked out okay, but Ive burnt it 4 times and none work. Im downloading desktopbsd now but if I dont like that I'll download pcbsd again.

Minyaliel
October 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Posting from DesktopBSD, the first BSD distro I've ever tried, and I must say I like it. It didn't detect my WLAN card, but then again, it's fast, and does what it's told. I think it's going to stay on this partition for a while yet.

slimdog360
October 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Posting from DesktopBSD, the first BSD distro I've ever tried, and I must say I like it. It didn't detect my WLAN card, but then again, it's fast, and does what it's told. I think it's going to stay on this partition for a while yet.

I really like it myself, it seemed very simple and unbloated. Worked very well. Although the package manager gave me some trouble.

spartan777
November 3rd, 2006, 02:04 AM
perhaps they shouldn't have a bsd subforum, because it isn't linux, or ubuntu. the ubuntuforums isn't an all purpose help site for anyone with a computer. its about ubuntu development, help, and use. if we had a bsd subforum, we might as well get windows and a unix subforums also.

23meg
November 3rd, 2006, 02:08 AM
if we had a bsd subforum, we might as well get windows and a unix subforums also.
We already have a Windows subforum.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170

SunnyRabbiera
November 3rd, 2006, 08:10 AM
BSD is wonderful on the servers we have at work, server wise BSD is better then linux... but as a desktop Linux is better.
I did try many BSD varients, but none of them did what I wanted.
But BSD is rockin on the servers you bet! :D

jan
November 29th, 2006, 11:31 PM
BSD is a cool OS i hope it will evolve a bit to be useful by normal "humans" ;))) like ubuntu

mips
November 30th, 2006, 07:46 AM
BSD is a cool OS i hope it will evolve a bit to be useful by normal "humans" ;))) like ubuntu

Try PCBSD, www.pcbsd.org

slimdog360
December 2nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
I personally never liked pcbsd, it jut didnt feel right somehow. Sure it is easy to install stuff but I didnt feel the love.
Once you get the hang of freebsd it gets a little better.

dbbolton
December 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
which bsd is the most user friendly ?