PDA

View Full Version : What's a business card CD?

alecjw
September 26th, 2006, 10:05 PM
What's a business card CD? Is it just a gamecube disk sized CD (4cm diameter)?

mostwanted
September 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM
It's a "Gamecube disc"-size CD with the edges cut off so it fits inside a wallet or card holder.

Here's a pic:

http://www.amarok.uk.com/images/amarok_business_card_cd.jpg

alecjw
September 26th, 2006, 10:17 PM
lol! What capacity are they? Can i burn\play them in a normal CD/DVD drive? It must be hard for drived to burn them because of the strange shape. Is it true that you can just get a normal CD-R and cut it down to bizcard size to make a bizcard CD?

DoctorMO
September 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM
It's not a 'game cube'-disc, It's a 8cm/Mini-CD and has been specified for years and years. but finding applications that would fit on 192MB has been hard and the format never took off.

You'll find all CD players have been built with an extra grove for the mini cd.

I think the game code uses mini dvds, although I could be wrong. it'd be amazing if they fit the kind of games they do onto mini cds.

BWF89
September 26th, 2006, 10:22 PM
PS2 even has a mini-cd slot in it. Although I've never heard of a game for it that actually used a mini-cd. Would've been pretty cool if they made one.

alecjw
September 26th, 2006, 10:27 PM
So can I cut a CD to any size or shape I want, depending on what size I want?

BWF89
September 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM
In the PS2 instruction manual it says something to the likes of "don't insert and disk that is not round shaped, it could damage your PS2 cdrom/dvd trey. Such as a heart shaped disc".

I've never heard of a heart shaped disc but if the PS2 manual not only mentions not to use non-round discs but states the actual shape of one they must be out there somewhere.

DoctorMO
September 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM
alecjw, not quite. if you cut a cd you'll end up with a very sharp cd. you've also got to arrange for way you burn it to be a bit clever, it has to start burning, stop burning, start gain. lots and lots of times and each part of the track has to stop and start.

I'm not sure how it's tachnicaly done but a quick google search should give you the anwsers.

BWF89
September 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure how it's tachnicaly done but a quick google search should give you the anwsers.
I've heard of people that have taken CD's/DVD's and cut them down to make mini CD's/DVD's and have them work. They probably had special tools or were very percice though. Afterall, discs have that foil paper on them (the stuff the information actually gets stored on) and if you cut them the foil would probably get bubbles under it or would start to come off around the sides.

Albi
September 26th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I've tried cutting a CD once (for a school project---don't ask), but it failed miserably, the thing just cracked and little bits of foil fell to the ground (the data part) when it finally cut.

The Noble
September 27th, 2006, 03:58 AM
I think the gamecube discs are mini-dvds as stated above. They have about the same capacity of a psp UMD (1.8 gig) if memory serves me right.

mips
September 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM

No, it has to be balanced etc. If you cut it into some odd shape that is unbalanced it is not going to spin so nicely, start vibrating and possibly break up inside the drive. Try it at your own risk...