PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and Impi ?

jiklemackson
April 13th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Hi,

Being a South African I am running Ubuntu and Impi Linux. I am actually happy with both, I just wish certain features in Impi where available in Ubuntu and features in Ubuntu where available in Impi.
Now these are both African distros, why does there not seem to be collaboration between the two? Surely unity is stength in this case.

Maybe someone can answer this. I'm hard pressed to make a choice between the two. Ubuntu has trendy graphics which I like but Impi seems a little faster.

Thanks
Mike

adbak
April 13th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Technically Canonical and therefore Ubuntu are based in the Isle of Man. And I don't really see why the same nationality should mean close cooperation. However, Ubuntu does ship some code back to Debian, so maybe Impi could use that code since it's Debian based too.

MasonM
April 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Different projects often have different primary objectives and philosophies. I feel this is a good thing as it has proven to produce some really great stuff, even from similar projects.

The great thing about Linux is flexibility. You can always take what you like from one and incorporate it into the other making it your own distro in a sense.

discourse
April 13th, 2005, 07:34 PM
i dont think any distro can claim a particular country even though the money may come from that country. linux is a global movement.