PDA

View Full Version : Features from OS X you would like to see in KDE/Gnome/Ubuntu?

Sushi
September 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I have used OS X quite a bit, and I'm now moving back to Ubuntu. There are few nifty things in OS X that I would like to see in Ubuntu and/or desktops that run on it:

- Hide Toolbar. Quite a few apps in OS X have a button in the top-right corner of the window. Clicking on that button hides the toolbar, making only the content visible. That is a VERY nifty feature! Quite a few times I just want to focus on the content and remove all unneeded cruft. And that includes the toolbar. In Linux, that button could hide the menubar as well.

- When you open a folder (for example) in Finder, the Finder-window displays a small folder-icon next to the titlebar of the windows. You can copy the folder to another location by dragging that icon to somewhere else. In a way, you can use that icon to tell the system that "take the contents of this window, and copy it to this location here". besides folders, that icon could be used with text-documents and the like as well. It's quite an intuitive way of doing things.

Both of these features are "little things", and they shouldn't be that hard to implement (right?!?). And I bet that quite a few people would appreciate having them around. What features from OS X would you like to see in your favourite desktop?

plb
September 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM
The thing I have learned about gnome is they are very ermmm anal about what goes in...they have a tendancy to add stuff and take it out on a whim e.g. the menu editor. To me personally, KDE seems more community driven....If you interested both gnome-look and kde-look have a brainstorm section where you can input your ideas....kde 4 brainstorm is much more active however...check em out and add your ideas.

qalimas
September 26th, 2006, 07:46 PM
- Hide Toolbar. Quite a few apps in OS X have a button in the top-right corner of the window. Clicking on that button hides the toolbar, making only the content visible. That is a VERY nifty feature! Quite a few times I just want to focus on the content and remove all unneeded cruft. And that includes the toolbar. In Linux, that button could hide the menubar as well.

KDE does this already, alt-f3 (I think that's the hotkey..)

IYY
September 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Everything that was good in OS X is already there in Compiz, we just need to wait for it to become more polished and better integerated with the desktop. The other OS X features just annoy me.

Sushi
September 27th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Everything that was good in OS X is already there in Compiz, we just need to wait for it to become more polished and better integerated with the desktop. The other OS X features just annoy me.

Compiz does not provide the features I listed. And they can't annoy you, because they are not in your face. they are just a small icon in the titlebar, and one additional button.

Sushi
September 27th, 2006, 08:36 AM
KDE does this already, alt-f3 (I think that's the hotkey..)

It does? Hot damn!