PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this blog article gave me a headache.

aps001
April 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion and to use whatever works for them, be it Windows, Mac, Unix, whatever. But the argurments and points in his blog article that seem to be "deal-breakers" seem to me as 95% fast customizations that are as easy as changing a windows theme. If the poster should ever read this, please let me say a third time I mean no offense, simply that I dont' understand your views on why most of these issues cause such critical fault in the OS.

http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu

accuser
April 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM
But the argurments and points in his blog article that seem to be "deal-breakers" seem to me as 95% fast customizations that are as easy as changing a windows theme.

But that's the point, isn't it? If it isn't obvious how the system works, it is unlikely to be obvious how to change/fix it.

aps001
April 13th, 2005, 02:11 PM
That is indeed a big part of the point. But that is part of what I was trying to say, why write such a huge detailed article about somthing that you are odviously a novice at? We are all different, I would have spent the time on these awsome forums learning how to change the theme, change how nautilus effects window management, and learning how to make it not: "69. Its brown". To reinterate, I just didnt' get the point of it at all.

jdodson
April 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM
That is indeed a big part of the point. But that is part of what I was trying to say, why write such a huge detailed article about somthing that you are odviously a novice at? We are all different, I would have spent the time on these awsome forums learning how to change the theme, change how nautilus effects window management, and learning how to make it not: "69. Its brown". To reinterate, I just didnt' get the point of it at all.

the author wrote it because ubuntu paid him to do a usability study on hoary.

they are doing research into making ubuntu a better distro and more usable.

some of the things the author mentioned were just personal preferences(like the brown comment), the rest were actually very well thought out and pointful responses.