PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't resist, switched to breezy

tim1
April 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I originally planned to keep hoary for a while to have a rock solid desktop, but I couldn't resist and since breezy development branch just opened I had to modify my sources.list

I can't wait for mono-1.1.6 and beagle to be committed.

greets, tim

dataw0lf
April 13th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Wow. All I can say is.. wow.
I didn't upgrade to Hoary until a week ago.
Stability++

oddabe19
April 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I also updated my sources.list

As i said on IRC yesterday...
I have enough faith in the developers and volunteers that I don't think they'll upload anything that will seriously hurt my pc.

I've been running hoary ever since the servers came online, and (knock on wood) i didn't have any real problems.

Stormy Eyes
April 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I originally planned to keep hoary for a while to have a rock solid desktop, but I couldn't resist and since breezy development branch just opened I had to modify my sources.list

Ballsy, aren't you. I'll wait until a month before Breezy's scheduled for official release, I think. :)

dataw0lf
April 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I also updated my sources.list

As i said on IRC yesterday...
I have enough faith in the developers and volunteers that I don't think they'll upload anything that will seriously hurt my pc.

I've been running hoary ever since the servers came online, and (knock on wood) i didn't have any real problems.

It isn't about faith in the developers. It's 'in development' for a reason. I'd be rather suspicious that the development team wasn't working if there weren't any bugs. And I can't afford any problems with my workstation.

totalshredder
April 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I'm going to upgrade once I see a difference between hoary and breezy :) I don't want to go to something 'unstable' if it doesn't have any more features than something 'stable'.

Luke

jdodson
April 13th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I'm going to upgrade once I see a difference between hoary and breezy :) I don't want to go to something 'unstable' if it doesn't have any more features than something 'stable'.

Luke

good call luke. i think i will stick with hoary for sometime. i might switch over during the release candidate of breezy though.

UbuWu
April 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I think I will switch soon, first some more playing around with hoary... Won't take long though, it is so great to accidently discover some more great new features almost every day after upgrading, it gets addictive.

MasonM
April 13th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I'll be happy to switch when a release candidate is ready for testing. I've always felt obliged to help in the testing and bug reporting of new releases of whatever I'm using as it gives back to the community in a small way and helps to improve the product.

UbuWu
April 13th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I couldn't resist either... just created a new partition to try out breezy. Guess I will be triple-booting now :grin:

poofyhairguy
April 14th, 2005, 05:54 AM
I'll try to not go to breezy for as long as I can. Its so nice to get a new Ubuntu, only happens twice a year. I think I'll wait till lots of things have happened so the wow value is high...

baza41
April 14th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I might go over to Breezy when.

1, There's stuff there that Hoary can't do, don't have.

2, It's at least 75% stable.

3, I hear some, 'wow you must see this' comments.

Baza

kanem
April 15th, 2005, 01:18 AM
When Hoary was still in development there was a time when many folk's machines were running much slower. And many people (including me) were getting concerned that this was just how Hoary was going to be. Then, a few weeks before the preview it went back to its zippy self. So I guess the developers knew about the problem and could have fixed it anytime. I also went through some hard times with sound.

So while I have faith in the developers shipping a good final product, there's no reason to expect these experimental stages to be all that great or even satisfactory. You may be stuck with irritating bugs for months.

Not to discourage anyone though. We need testers. But I'm gonna hold out as long as I can.

TravisNewman
April 15th, 2005, 01:42 AM
My desktop doesn't need to be stable-- I don't really do any work on it at all. So as soon as I saw the repos were open, I updated my sources.list. I have a pretty current backup of my dpkg --get-selections output and my /home and /opt are on separate partitions, so if anything wacks out, I can get back to the current setup pretty easily.

Stormy Eyes
April 15th, 2005, 02:54 AM

Baza

It's got the beta version of OpenOffice.org 2; that's reason enough for me to at least have the Breezy repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list.

XDevHald
April 15th, 2005, 02:59 AM
I switched to Breezy because it has very stable repo's on every update I get. Not sure why others get errors in other apps, but my unpackings work like a charm. But yes I love Breezy compared to Hoary and will never go back :grin: :grin:

Much Props to the Dev Team!

poofyhairguy
April 15th, 2005, 03:20 AM
My desktop doesn't need to be stable-- I don't really do any work on it at all. .

LOL. At least you are honest...

mark
April 15th, 2005, 03:29 AM
LOL. At least you are honest...
Yeah, I identify with that...my desktop IS my playground. However, as I've been saying more and more at work recently, "Sometimes, boring is better." I think a breather of a month or so (okay, okay, at least 2 weeks) will have me back in the "right - what can I break now?" frame of mind.

kahping
April 15th, 2005, 03:33 AM

Baza

wow you must see this

sorry, couldn't resist :-P

i'll use breezy when it's close to preview. i don't like strange things going on my PC most of the time :???:

kahping

TravisNewman
April 15th, 2005, 04:40 AM
CHANGED MY MIND

It wanted to update almost all the core system components at once.
I opted not to do that just yet. SO far the only updates I'd gotten were a very few unimportant ones.

So, back to hoary.

HungSquirrel
April 15th, 2005, 05:02 AM
I'll wait until the release candidate hits the servers, which (if Ubuntu keeps up tradition) should be when the next GNOME point release is out. Switching to breezy before then is a bit too dangerous for my tastes. :)

Whiffle
April 15th, 2005, 05:39 AM
I'm a crazy texas cowboy type, I updated my repo list as soon as I saw they were available :D

I'm with that other guy too, I don't do any *real* work on this thing...just school work and da inter-web.

akurashy
April 15th, 2005, 05:43 AM
I think i don't wanna play with fire :p,
I wait around 4 months then i do the switch :), i'm sure the stability will be more solid
for now i guess i stick with almighty hoary ^^